August 3rd, 2012

Gay rights activists plan 'kiss day' at Chick-fil-A restaurants

Gay rights activists plan a "kiss day" at Chick-fil-A outlets nationwide Friday amid a controversy over a company official's stance against same-sex marriages.

Organizers used social media to urge same-sex couples to participate in the event and post pictures and videos online.

The latest campaign follows a Wednesday event dubbed "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day" in which Americans lined up at eateries nationwide to support the company.

Chick-fil-A said it set a sales record Wednesday, but declined to release the numbers.

"We can confirm reports that it was a record-setting day," said Steve Robinson, the executive vice president of marketing.

The controversy started after an interview with the fast-food restaurant chain's president, Dan Cathy, appeared in The Baptist Press on July 16. He weighed in with his views on family.

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S.
  1. Philip

You aren't allowed to blog at work, Joey? I guess it would be hard...maybe even dangerous...to text and play at the same time. 🙂 good to see you again anyway.

August 3, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lars

Childish. Do what you want I don't want to see it, doesn't interest me. Cathy is not trying to baptize you or convert you or say you cannot be LGBT. Why trample on other peoples rights?

August 3, 2012 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Say What?

That is EXACTLY what he is trying to do, through the "charitable contributions" of the company.

August 3, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom Swartz

I couldn't have said it better .

August 3, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dazzle ©

Good Morning even to the silly trolls. Happy Kiss Day. Just stay out of my way on the roads.

August 3, 2012 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lars

Where is ACLU? Freedom of speech is being attacked!

August 3, 2012 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Freedom of speech? Is Cathy going to jail for his comments? how is this even remotely about freedom of speech. We're citizens not the government.

August 3, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

I support freedom of speech completely.
    I want to use any word I like.

August 3, 2012 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

Cathy has made it clear that his corporation has decided to join the long list of others who are OPPOSED to anything that threatens to damage Holy Matrimony in any way, and will use their financial mightiness to move America back to where she once was: The most financially productive humans to ever inhabit planet earth.
    Now, enough of your public displays of affection. Back to work, America.
    ps...justa reminder, but your kids will NOT inherit your debt. They will inherit your public offices, and force YOU to pay off your public debt, or goto Homeland Security Prison and work it off. So, best stop kissing and get back to work.

August 3, 2012 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  7. David

I think I'll throw Up. God took care of soddom and gammora back in the day and it will happen again hide and watch kissers

August 3, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. ericke

I am a Liberal and I am a gay male, but even I think the protesting and boycotting is silly. If you dont agree with Chick-Fil-A just dont eat there! I would like to have acknowlegement and equal rights but people are going about it the wrong way. First boycotting and now having gay PDA in the restaurants. That just makes some straight people even more disgusted. No one will ever completely and uniformley agree with every single person on Earth. Our time for equality will come but lets not gross everyone out by having a gay kiss day in the restaurants. It almost sounds like it will be a make out session and I personally don't want to see ANYONE gay or straight Doonesbury PDA.

August 3, 2012 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

This has gotten way out of hand, and it is becoming a circus...I dislike circuses...so...

@JIF:
    Nice to see you, and to know you haven't lost you wicked sense of humor...
    I do wish I'd see you here more often; I miss you terribly.

August 3, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

Hi, @ banasy ©.
    I'm back from a rehearsal and teaching lessons.
    I missed the kiss-in, but our family had hoped to attend with our gently pecking parakeet. Maybe next year.

August 3, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

@JIF:
    One could always hope.
    We do not have any Chich-fil A's around here; in any case, I wouldn't eat there anyway.
    Not because of any polit itcal stance, mind you; I dislike fast food.
    Oh, well.
    Give my best to your wife; you don't have to touch her or anything; a verbal "hello" will do.

August 3, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jay jay

You guys hear about Adam smith from Tucson? He went thru a CFA drive thru and started crap with the gal giving him his free water. Well he recorded it and put it on YouTube. His boss got word of it and fired him. Lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol!!!!!!

August 3, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Well, how was he giving the young lady a hard tome?
      And if he was on his lunch hour, or not at work that day at all, his boss was wrong in firing him...
      Some unanswered questions here, Jay Jay.

August 4, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |