August 3rd, 2012

Hiring picks up, but unemployment rises

Businesses stepped up their hiring in July, but the unemployment rate ticked higher anyway.

Employers said they added 163,000 jobs in the month, according to a Labor Department report released Friday, much better than the 95,000 jobs economists had forecast.

But at the same time, the unemployment rate unexpectedly rose to 8.3% as households claimed they lost 195,000 jobs.

The government's monthly jobs report comes from two separate surveys: one that looks at company payrolls, and the other that questions households. Those two reports went in opposite directions in July, confusing the overall reading on the job market.

According to the employer survey, the public sector continues to be a drag on overall hiring. The government cut 9,000 jobs in the month, while private businesses added 172,000 jobs.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Economy • Jobs
  1. Abraham

Not great news

August 3, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. Obama Mama

The wealthy are hanging on to the money to see if Romney will be put in office. They caused this recession with their greed and now they will not produce any jobs with their tax cuts and the money they have made in the stock market. No tax cuts for the wealthy, this time around, Romneys co-chair and the wealthy do not need it and they need to start paying taxes on all their money and on their capital gains. The reason the wealthy are fighting so hard, they have not lost their greediness, they have lost compassion for the the working man,(as if they ever had it).
    Someone on here at one time that the wealthy and their friends laugh at us bumbling around to figure out who to vote for. They play the abortion or the economy game to get the right hooked. There is only one man on capital hill who said I am wealthy and I need to give more, President Obama. (The veiws and content here are meant for my buddy JayJay) Scottish

August 3, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay jay

hey there mama! Long time no speak. Was inquiring about your where-abouts the other day. I am thankful to the successful who give me employment at both my jobs. Hopefully with hard work and good effort I'll be able to do the same. With the mentality going around I'm afraid that the American dream has been squandered and reduced to govt handouts. I still hold onto hope though.

August 3, 2012 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

@Jay I saw you where looking for me, but you were long gone by the time I saw it. I am glad you are working, sorry it is 2 jobs and not driving to 1 with the price of gas as high as it is.
      Were the jobs you are working given to you by a small business owner or a corporate business?

August 3, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay jay

OMG! You just hit the nail on the head mama! People are more willing than any other time in our nation to accept a govt check. When did it become the norm to rely on the govt to pay ones bills? How do more people in this country know how to get on food stamps than know where the state of Alabama is. That's not right and I will not accept it...

August 3, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Jay Jay, Obama meant his *personal* wealth, not Government money...

August 3, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Victoria

I don't believe the unemployment rates are at the level that is reported. I'm sure they are much higher. Yes hiring has risen but from what I see they are for minimum wage jobs.

August 3, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay jay

victoria you can't say that on here. The truth will not set you free on CNN.

August 3, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay jay

doubt me? Try posting under my chosen name. Which is j(continue to next post)

August 3, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

Bush was losing 700,000 jobs per month, Romney has nothing better to offer.

August 4, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Victoria

@Jay jay, are you serious? So much for freedom of speech!

August 3, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay jay

yes I'm serious! Try posting under that name j. j.

August 3, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Victoria

@Jay jay, I just tried to do a test post and you are correct. I didn't change my email address though, maybe that is a problem.

August 3, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. Obama Mama

But that was the problem Jay, no one could make a living and it was cheaper and could make more money being on welfare or unemployment.
    With the new direction Obama put to the states, make it so you are educating or putting people to work, while they are on welfare. He is trying to put it so the unemployment coinsides with getting welfare. Which I see and have railed on here to make it so. It goes hand and hand to having success in keeping people employed at a job they like and are educated to make money,(more than welfare and unemployment) and they know they can do even better if they have real help looking for a job.

August 3, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Wake up, Obama is the main problem right now, passing out government cheese when jobs are available.

August 3, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Derp

And where are these jobs available at? Quit letting your hatred for the prez and your wholesale swallowing of the gop kool-aid blind you.

August 3, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • maureen

the only thing Obama does right is vacation and play golf. he has already passed Bush in both categories, why doesnt he brag about those two.

August 4, 2012 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

*This* is why I like your posts, phunk.
      You state things plainly, and have the citations to back it up.
      I didn't know that Fox won a lawsuit saying they could lie for entertainment purposes; I knew the embroidered the truth, but didn't know they could now do it legally...
      I never watch Fox anyway; too much gnashing of the teeth and foaming of the mouth.

August 4, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • madmaninthemiddle

"Embroidered the truth". Nice turn of a phrase. I like that.

August 4, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Thanks!

August 4, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • madmaninthemiddle

Obama has taken more vacation to date than Bush? Not that it matters to me, but I don't believe that is correct.

August 4, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mickey1313

that is a flat out lie. Bush spent 85% of his 8 years in office on vacation. Showing up only to sign bills that crippled america, like PATRIOT.

August 4, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • s kel

Look I can simplyfy this. If you belive Fox news on majority of what is spoken on their national news,you smoke meth.........Its that simple.

August 4, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

My neighbor just quit his job in search of government cheese after Obama lifted the work requirement from welfare. He was making more than me with less bills to pay. Guess I don't have to lug that leach (never payed me for gas) back and forth to work anymore.

August 5, 2012 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. clemvinson71

unemployment numbers are based on the assumption that 20% of the populous chooses not to work (retirees, students, etc...). During the clinton years, we actually had negative unemployment; which shouldn't be possible, but here we are. on top of that, they only count people actively filing or collecting unemployment. That effectively discludes 5-15% of the populous who are disenfranchised. So, if we add in the 8% reported unemployment rate, that brings us to 38% (approx.) of the US populous not working. 1 in 3 not paying in is a burden that will sink this country socially and economically. Personally, I'm looking forward to the chaos. The system is tainted, slanted, corrupt, and designed to reward the few at the expense of the many. Stop participating, and brace for impact.

August 3, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. Obama Mama

@Jay 2 people quit at my husbands work and he cannot even take a vacation. They quit because the boss has not given them a raise in 6 years. (By the way -we were losing more jobs under Bush monthly, and we have had more job creation under Obama in his 1st 2 years, than Bush had in 8 years. So 4 more years of Obama and we may surpass and get every job market growth. (If we also get rid of the republican rocks in congress) (Bachmann needs to get her lying self out of congress) She says crap and cannot back up anything she says. (Psycho)
    Wheeee they also closed the Cantor loophole, he is so dishonest. Insider trading they passed it.

August 3, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Ancient Texan

UNemployment under Bush for 8 years averaged 4.7%. Everybody that WOULD work was working.

August 3, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Derp

Daddy g h w, is that you?
      Thanks for puTting that out there.
      Love,
      GW

August 3, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

It was 7.8 when he left, with a depression looming.

August 4, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Still better than 8.2 (the real number is closer to 15%), the best fudged number Obama has been able to produce.

August 5, 2012 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. Lirso

Unemployment still high? Let's give 2 million illegal immigrants work permits and see if that helps the numbers!

(I'm talking non-agricultural positions that American's are already competing for)

August 3, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  9. Obama Mama

@Jay good luck with your jobs, I have to go. I do want to debate the PPACA taxes w/you. Scottish.

August 3, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

One problem is that Corporate America *loves* part-time jobs; a person is at the whim of their employer...at the library, there are only three full time people at our branch.
    This is to avoid having to pay for benefits, which, thankfully, I get from my hubs' employer.
    To be honest, they are generous with vacation time, though...so that's a plus.
    I know many in your situation, Jay; having two part-time jobs, and trying to coordinate vacation time from both at the same time is tricky!
    Been there, done that, not even a lousy T-shirt...

August 3, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mickey1313

That could be solved thru legislation. Make it so if you work 1 hour a month our more, turn you qualify for full benefits. Then companies would stop the part time game they play. Also make it so no one in a company can make more then 200 times anyone else. So if the janitor is paid 10 bucks an hour, the ma x including bonuses the ceo could make would be 4 million. The tip is paid way way too much.

August 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

The only thing left for Obama to do is negative ads, mudslinging Mitt Romney, because there is nothing in Obama's experience in almost 4 years, that he can use to run on.

August 3, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. HIDE BEHIND

Anyone who thinks Obama gives a damn about anyone other than those he needs to please while making sure that he and his make out like bandits, is not only a fool they are a damn fool. and part of the overall problem.
    Idol worship of the demigods with their demagoguery is on a par with going to a holy roller conventions and everyone is speaking in tongues and rolling on floors while the preachers praise how he can manipulate them and knows that now is the time to ask for donations.

August 3, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

@banasy
    The experienced employee with tenure is now nothing more than company overhead, even when they're punctual and subordinate.
    Companies favor the "temp", because they only need fast food and cigarettes to survive. And they live or co exist with somebody else and have no bills. The economic impact of production costs? No vacations expense. No 401K profit sharing. No holiday pay. You would hire them for your business too. But you had better have menial labor (no brains required) jobs to do. Otherwise about 50% walk out on you, because your not part of thier "life style", and YOU expect too much.

August 3, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

But the ameren Missouri electric guy needs to have a 396,000 bonus to get buy and we need to pay higher in electric bills to pay the shareholders?

August 4, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

President Obama has shown ZERO interest in 9/11 victims lawsuits that have yet to have their day in court.
    Yay. One ringy-dingy. He executed a well known suspected criminal. Now, what about our 9/11 victims families! Currently, their star witnesses are under federal gag orders in place since the Bush admin. (FBI whistleblower Sibel D. Edmonds, 24 DOD officials)
    Of course victims families would LOVE to have been given the opportunity to question OBl and his wives in open court!BUT ONES DEAD, AND THE OTHERS CAN'T BE CALLED!
    Anyway, you will all know the truth about 9/11 soon enough. hagd

August 3, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

Time to move on...Sir.....It's time to move on........just like the grassy knoll......the depths of human imagination are fathomless!

August 3, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

I hope Issa is replaced with someone who is interested.

August 4, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. saywhat

Good afternoon all.
    most frustrating,dirty and downright embarrassing politics that we have seen played in Washington for the past 4 years is the cause we have not been able to back off from the edge of fiscal cliff where we found ourselves. Trying to wriggle out of the insanity of the past rule.
    Continuation of a foreign policy that does not deviate from the failed direction of Bush era has added to our woes and diverts attention from more pressing issues at home.

August 3, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |