August 5th, 2012

Reports: Loughner to plead guilty in Arizona shooting rampage

The U.S. Attorney's Office said it is not confirming or denying reports that Jared Loughner will plead guilty in last year's shooting rampage outside a Tucson, Arizona, supermarket.

The attack killed six people and wounded 13 others, including then-U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

On Saturday night, the Los Angeles Times and the Wall Street Journal reported that Loughner, 23, is now mentally competent to understand the changes against him and that a status hearing on his competency, scheduled for Tuesday morning, will now be a change-of-plea hearing.

The Los Angeles Times attributed the information to "knowledgeable sources," while the Wall Street Journal said its source was an "official familiar with the case."

"I can neither confirm or deny the reports in the L.A. Times and other media about the Loughner case," Bill Solomon, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Arizona, told CNN when asked about the reports late Saturday night.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • U.S.
  1. Superman

@ phillip your new user name is ramble on rose

August 5, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

In 1908, the Chicago Cubs won the World Series. Since then:

Radio was invented.
    Four states were admitted to the Union.
    The atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
    Television was invented.
    The U.S. went through the Great Depression.
    The U.S. participated in two world wars and two major armed conflicts, Korea and Vietnam.
    The NFL was founded.
    Man landed on the moon.
    Thirteen presidents were elected and one was appointed.
    Harry Carey was born.
    Wrigley Field was built and became the oldest baseball park in the National League.
    Five flag poles, erected at Wrigley Field for the purpose of holding a World Series flag, have worn out and been replaced without ever holding a pennant.
    Lights were installed at twenty-five major league baseball stadiums–except Wrigley Field.
    Ten teams were added to the major leagues.
    Halley's Comet passed the earth twice.
    Hundreds of boys were born, raised, played inept baseball for the Cubs, retired and died of old age.

August 5, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Cubs fans are amongst the most loyal of all baseball fans.
      They consistently sell out home games, despite less than stellar performances...
      Loyalty is good and fine but...

I am a die-hard White Sox fan, AND WE GOT OUR, SUCKAS!!!

(I loved the Old Comisky Park; I was verklempt to see it torn down. Wrigley is beautiful, I'll admit.)

August 5, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

I know what you mean banasy. I feel the same way about the old Briggs Stadium, which later was named Tiger Stadium, which is now nothing more than a big empty field. Gotta love progress. I spent many weekends as a youngster going to watch my Detroit Tigers play. That's the days when you could still walk the streets safely.

August 5, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

At least Chicago hasn't gotten rid of Soldier Field yet...(And that's where the Cubs originally played before building Wrigley, I believe).
      There has been talk for as long as I can remember of building a new stadium for the Bears, and although I am a fan of progress, I'm not a fan of too MUCH progress, knowhatimean?

August 5, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ banasy

I know exactly what you mean. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But for those of us who remember the earlier times, before things got so tecnologically advanced, nostalgia does have a tendency to make us sad at the loss.

August 5, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mickey1313

We need to take away all extra amenities in prison, and re insti tute hard labor for all violent felons.

August 5, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mickey1313

Maker it harder people will stop crime, like my post said, I think, it should only be for violent offenders that we ratchet up the penalties

August 5, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Of course this isn't Victoria.

August 5, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

Im with you bobcat, was a sad day when they started the demolition of Tiger Stadium. But the Tigers are still tops to me and always will be! Good afternoon btw, to all my favorite bloggers.

August 5, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat (in a hat)©

Good afternoo chrissy

How are you ding today. I see the trolls are taking a walk on the wild side again. Doo doo doo- doo doo de doo- de doo doo doo de doo.

August 5, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. SINCE

SINCE Cnn feels the need to delete jokes and posts by bobcat, can you inept goobers delete the obvious TROLLS here?

August 5, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Because

Morono. It is SOLDIER Field, little one. And you need to get back to your game of dodge the cars on the expressway. Hope you get hit before it hits you.

August 5, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gursharan Kaur ARSHI

Siks originated from hindu"s first the we're only Muslims and Hindu'S .....Sikhs originated from Hindu'S.

August 5, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

I am extremely glad that, if true, this man is going to plead guilty.
    With the evidence so overwhelmingly against him, a long trial most likely would have had the same verdict.

August 5, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ronvan

"IT" is now taking meds. and has been deemed OK to stand trial! GOOD, now give " it" some more meds. in prison, and put "it" down!!

August 5, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

Lmao @ Since, inept goobers??? Now thats different, and i kinda like it.

August 5, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |