August 5th, 2012

Reports: Loughner to plead guilty in Arizona shooting rampage

The U.S. Attorney's Office said it is not confirming or denying reports that Jared Loughner will plead guilty in last year's shooting rampage outside a Tucson, Arizona, supermarket.

The attack killed six people and wounded 13 others, including then-U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

On Saturday night, the Los Angeles Times and the Wall Street Journal reported that Loughner, 23, is now mentally competent to understand the changes against him and that a status hearing on his competency, scheduled for Tuesday morning, will now be a change-of-plea hearing.

The Los Angeles Times attributed the information to "knowledgeable sources," while the Wall Street Journal said its source was an "official familiar with the case."

"I can neither confirm or deny the reports in the L.A. Times and other media about the Loughner case," Bill Solomon, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Arizona, told CNN when asked about the reports late Saturday night.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • U.S.
  1. drap™

Not until Rupert Murdochs creation fox news confirms this... .Will I take this serious... .!

August 5, 2012 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Again, you're posts amuse me to no end, drap™...

August 5, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Victoria

I was hoping never to see his face again. He terrorized my very peaceful hometown and the damage done is beyond words. Shame on the lazy journalists who didn't have their facts when they reported that Ms. Giffords was killed. That is why using Twitter to gather news is unreliable and dangerous. My parents were in Colorado at the time and were enjoying brunch when they heard a television news reporter give this misinformation on air. There are quite a few facts about him that I am unable to discuss on a public blog. Many of us still cannot go into this Safeway Store again.

August 5, 2012 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

Goon evening, Victoria. I recall that media hype, as a million times before.
    Where were your parents Visiting Colorful Colorado! @?
    And btw, the Arizona Shooter has a long history of drug use, and also police reports of him being bullied at school as a "child". Many of the HS students you call "children" have been exposed to more badness than most adults experience in their entire lives. Sure. Under 18. But with the bad mind of a 35 yr. old.

August 5, 2012 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Victoria

Good Evening to you @Philip. Are you familiar with Colorado? They would be a no on Aspen.

August 5, 2012 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Bonita

He has been stabiized for his schizophrenia. He is now mentally capable of comprehending what he has done. Yes, he was forced to adhere to his drug therapy, for without it, what happened was preordained. For those of you who look down your noses at drug therapy, beware: this is what ignoring mental disease looks like. And we will keep seeing this, if those diagnosed with severe mental disorders fall through the cracks.

August 5, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Left Coast

Take it serious,the supermarket tabloid The Sun backs it up.

August 5, 2012 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

@Victoria. Brunch, eh? Hmmmm. Let's see. They were in Aspen CO sitting under a white unbrella. (not far from where the old Mountain Man Downhill used to be ran)
    That, or at a KOA Campground east of Denver. 🙂 Me? I've camped at pert near every KOA in the central southwest AND San Diego! he he

August 5, 2012 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. Victoria

@Philip, you probably went to bed. I am off that way myself. It's almost 3am in my area of the world. Will chat with you tomorrow.

August 5, 2012 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. francois2012

O come on, hes extra super sorry.

August 5, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

Not me above and not me at 9:44

August 5, 2012 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  9. Victoria

This is NOT banasy. I am calling the real banasy that I know and love. @CNN, you should just take this whole thread down. No further comments from me, I am done!

August 5, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  10. Laqwanda

I thin we all agree it is time for white America to pay us reparations for slavery. Way past time. Your country was built on the backs of our grandparents. Now is the time to redistrbute the wealth. The wealth in the US is everyone's and should be spread more equally. No one man deserves to have billions of dollars when others go hungry. The rich man did nothing to deserve that much of our country's wealth. Many of us work hard – way harder than any billionaire. The money should be spread out better so all can participate in the American dream.

August 5, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Mickey1313

Um, no. I am poor and white, and I work hard. Re distribution of wealth is good. Having the great great great grand childeren pay for crimes committed against your ancestors is not right. I don't want a hand out, and neither should the aa community. I do believe in regulations on wage caps for the top though and reform of the "part time"rules against workers.

August 5, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

Hi, Victoria,

Of course it's not me.
    Is is also (on this page, anyway) not Mary, raven, JIF, or BOMBO, either.
    It is the work of one person, who is apparently just as bat chit crazy as Jared Loughner.

I am exceedingly glad that JL is pleading guilty, if true; given the plethora of evidence against him, this saves a long trial which most likely would have ended up with the same result.

August 5, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Of course it isn't me, Victoria.
    On this page alone, Mary, raven, Bombo, and JIF have also been hijacked.
    It is the work of one person, who seems to be just as B S crazy as Loughner.

As for JL, I am glad that he is to plead guilty.
    He has so much evidence against him, and a long trial would have very likely had the same result.

August 5, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bobcat (in a hat)©

Question:

What is the truest definition of Globalization?

Answer:

Tragically, Princess Diana's death.

Question:

Why?

Answer:

An English princess with an Egyptian boyfriend crashes in a French tunnel, driving a German car with a Dutch engine, driven by a Belgian who was drunk on Scottish whiskey,

followed closely by Italian paparazzi on Japa nese motorcycles;

treated by an American doctor, using Brazilian medicines.

This is sent to you by an American, using Bill Gates' technology and you are probably reading this on your computer,

that uses Taiwanese chips and a Korean monitor, assembled by Bangladeshi workers in a Singapore plant; transported by Indian lorry-drivers, hijacked by Indonesians, unloaded by Sicilian longshoremen and trucked to you by illegal Mexican workers...

And that is what Globalization is.

August 5, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bobcat (in a hat)©

As we all know, it takes 1 calorie to heat 1 gram of water 1 degree centigrade. Translated into meaningful terms, this means that if you eat a very cold dessert (generally consisting of water in large part), the natural processes which raise the consumed dessert to body temperature during the digestive cycle literally sucks the calories out of the only available source, your body fat.

For example, a dessert served and eaten at near 0 degrees C (32.2 deg. F) will in a short time be raised to the normal body temperature of 37 degrees C (98.6 deg. F). For each gram of dessert eaten, that process takes approximately 37 calories as stated above. The average dessert portion is 6 oz, or 168 grams. Therefore, by operation of thermodynamic law, 6,216 calories (1 cal./gm/deg. x 37 deg. x 168 gms) are extracted from body fat as the dessert's temperature is normalized. Allowing for the 1,200 latent calories in the dessert, the net calorie loss is approximately 5,000 calories.

Obviously, the more cold dessert you eat,the better off you are and the faster you will lose weight, if that is your goal. This process works equally well when drinking very cold beer in frosted glasses. Each ounce of beer contains 16 latent calories, but extracts 1,036 calories (6,216 cal. per 6 oz. portion) in the temperature normalizing process. Thus the net calorie loss per ounce of beer is 1,020 calories. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to calculate that 12,240 calories (12 oz. x 1,020 cal./oz.) are extracted from the body in the process of drinking a can of beer.

Frozen desserts, e.g., ice cream, are even more beneficial, since it takes 83 cal./gm to melt them (i.e., raise them to 0 deg. C) and an additional 37 cal./gm to further raise them to body temperature. The results here are really remarkable, and it beats running hands down.

Unfortunately, for those who eat pizza as an excuse to drink beer, pizza (loaded with latent calories and served above body temperature) induces an opposite effect. But, thankfully, as the astute reader should have already reasoned, the obvious solution is to drink a lot of beer with pizza and follow up immediately with large bowls of ice cream.We could all be thin if we were to adhere religiously to a pizza, beer, and ice cream diet.

Happy eating!

August 5, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Ah, if only that were reality...lol...
      Sometimes, science is FUN!
      Good morning, bciah.

August 5, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Good morning banasy

If I read that right, it was an actual theoretical paper submitted by someone in Australia.

August 5, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I don't see Victoria saying anything at all about food, other than her parents were having brunch in Aspen...what *are* you talking about, sir?

August 5, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat (in a hat)©

An airline pilot with poor eyesight had managed to pass his periodic vision exams by memorizing the eye charts beforehand. One year, though, his doctor used a new chart that the pilot had never before seen. The pilot proceeded to recite the old chart and the doctor realized that she'd been hoodwinked.

Well, the pilot proved to be nearly blind as a bat. But the doctor could not contain her curiosity. "How is it that someone with your eyesight can manage to pilot a plane at all? I mean, how for example do you taxi the plane out to the runway?"

"Well," says the pilot, "it's really not very hard. All you have to do is follow the instructions of the ground controller over the radio. And besides, the landmarks have all become quite familiar to me over the years."

"I can understand that," replies the doctor. "But what about the take-off?"

"Again, a simple procedure. I just aim the plane down the runway, go to full throttle, pull back on the stick, and off we go!"

"But once you're aloft?"

"Oh, everything's fully automated these days. The flight computer knows our destination, and all I have to do is hit the autopilot and the plane pretty much flies itself."

"But I still don't see how you land!"

"Oh, that's the easiest part of all. All I do is use the airport's radio beacon to get us on the proper glide path. Then I just throttle down and wait for the co-pilot to yell, 'AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!' pull the nose up, and the plane lands just fine!"

August 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |