August 6th, 2012

Mash-up: Topless driver won't pull over

The CNN Daily Mash-up is a roundup of some of the most interesting, surprising, curious, poignant or significant items to appear on CNN.com in the past 24 hours. We top it with a collection of the day's most striking photographs from around the world.

Blood spilled in a sacred place

Sunday's mass shooting at a Sikh temple in suburban Milwaukee caused a new wave of shock and revulsion on the heels of the July 20 movie theater attack in Aurora, Colorado. Kanwardeep Singh Kaleka, a nephew of temple shooting victim Santwant Kaleka, the temple president, expressed the pain of many when he said:

I just never thought it would be at a temple, at a place of worship. I don't want people to have to carry a gun at a place of worship. ... Why can't people just show each other love and care and treat each other as humans?

Which is more interesting, Mars or Mohawk?

If you watched the Mars rover Curiosity landing early Monday morning (or late Sunday, depending on where you were), you probably noticed the dude with the mohawk haircut at mission control. You probably wanted to know what the deal was with him. You probably were hoping CNN would provide an interview with him. If so, you'll probably enjoy this:

Not Mars, but almost as exotic

CNN iReporter Kevin Kasmai shot this image at the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa.

CNN iReporter Kevin Kasmai says the South African southern coastline reminds him of an otherworldly landscape. He visited South Africa in 2010 and captured photographs while traveling south from Cape Town to the Cape of Good Hope. "The images of the clouds rushing down Table Mountain on a windy day in Cape Town and the views overlooking the Cape of Good Hope towards the southern ocean were unlike any I had seen before," he says. See Kasmai's stunning gallery here.

It's a beautiful day; let's put the top down

A woman in Marion County, Florida, allegedly refused to stop when a sheriff's deputy tried to pull her over for speeding, CNN affiliate WFTV reports. According to the arrest report, the woman was apprehended later and told police she didn't want to stop her pickup because she was driving topless.

On the horizon: Loughner plea, Wisconsin vigil

Attorneys for accused Tucson mass shooter Jared Lee Loughner are expected to enter a guilty plea at a court hearing Tuesday, if a federal judge determines Loughner is competent to stand trial. Loughner is accused of killing several people, including a federal judge, outside a supermarket in Tuscon, Arizona, in January 2011. U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was seriously wounded in the rampage.

Oak Creek, Wisconsin, Mayor Steve Scaffidi said a vigil for victims of the Sikh temple attack will be held Tuesday night at the Oak Creek Community Center. Tuesday's National Night Out is being held as scheduled in Oak Creek, but there will be no fireworks.

August 7 anniversaries

Marines arrive in Saudi Arabia in August 1990 for Operation Desert Shield.

1947 - Norwegian anthropologist Thor Heyerdahl completes a 100-day, 4,000-mile journey on a wooden raft called the Kon-Tiki.

1959 - The satellite Explorer VI sends back the first photograph of Earth from outer space.

1964 - Congress passes the Tonkin Gulf Resolution, expanding President Lyndon Johnson's authority to use force in Vietnam.

1990 - Operation Desert Shield - later Desert Storm - forces begin amassing in Saudi Arabia in response to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait.

1998 - Bombs at the U.S. embassies in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, kill more than 200 people, including 12 Americans.

2005 - ABC anchor Peter Jennings dies of lung cancer at 67.

2007 - Barry Bonds hits his 756th home run, breaking Hank Aaron's all-time record.

August 7 birthdays

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Daily Mash-up
  1. banasy©

Newwwwwwwwwwman...

August 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dazzle ©

Maybe the third time my post won't disappear.

August 6, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Why would your post disapear, dazzle?

August 6, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dazzle ©

@banasy, good to see you. I must have used a no no word but I mentioned the Florida driver and my love of Newman. I am true Seinfeld addict.

August 6, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I don't watch the reruns like I used to; but there were many, many phrases that came from Seinfeld being used today; remember 'yada yada yada..."?

August 6, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

" No soup for you"

August 6, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. *:..this is a test..:*

Hello cnn cps am i allowed to talk now?

August 6, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat( in a hat) mine too! I can't remember joike punch lines but anything Seinfeld you're on. I'm very well and hope you are too. We had some wicked monsoon rains last night and part of today, so this crazy Picses girl is happy. I may be the only person on the planet that loves rain.

August 6, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ dazzle.

You are not alone on that. I love the rain too. I am especially fascinated by lighning storms. I do amatuer photography and have gotten some amazing shots over the years. While eveyone else runs for cover, I'm out there getting my shots. Crazy ? Me thinks just a touch. One of the thngs on my bucket list is to ride on one of those hurricane hunters and fly into the center of a storm.

August 6, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Daniel

Sweet! Go Mohawk man!!

August 6, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat( in a hat) that's on bucket list too along with flying a glider plane, and parachuting. No we're not crazy? My phone takes crappy pictures but if I have my Nikon with me, I can capture good shots. I am not nearly an amateur photographer. The oldest pick up line in the book is "what's you sign?. Of course I don't mean it that way but are you a water sign? I am a crazy mix of Pisces. Gemini, and Scorpio which can somehow explain what makes dazzle tick if one takes astrology seriously/

August 6, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

Pump up the volume. Pump up the volume. DANCE! DANCE!

August 6, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

You stuff thier faces with Mahtza and Gifilter fish? Tell us. Like we had a choice.

August 6, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Really now, Jeff?

August 6, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Yahda

It sure was awfully nice of the Muslim leadership of Saudi Arabia to welcom the invading infidels. What do their citizens think of this?
    Google 'drug use in Saudi Arabia'. You will find that their citizenry has the same drug problems we do.
    People on drugs have a hard time organizing rebellions and remembering what day it is, etc.

August 6, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dazzle ©

$2? But everyone in front of me got free bread.
    Soup Nazi: You want bread? The prelude to yours @bobcat (in a hat)

August 6, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat (in a hat)©

dazzle ©
    One of my favorites. How are you tonight ?

August 6, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Toque

its a mohawk....big deal. Granted, most of the time dopey kids who think they are hot stuff wear them while playing football in high school but otherwise, it serves no purpose.

August 13, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  13. Psykram

The obsession with this guy's personal style displays not only the shallow nature of the viewing public, and the lack of interest in driving a car in back and white in a desert in Arizona via Remote Control. They can get to mars, but cannot afford a bloody colour camera?

August 14, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  14. ben

1964 – Congress passes the Tonkin Gulf Resolution, expanding President Lyndon Johnson's authority to use force in Vietnam. – They forget to mention that this was a complete fabrication, a downright lie our government used to throw us into ground combat in vietnam? that our own government killed its own sailors to make it look like it was an attack by the NVA to justify a war? but of course you'll never catch CNN telling the truth about these sort of things, god forbid they slander the government, the all high and mighty authoritarian government we now have.

August 14, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dan

That explains why I haven't seen Peter Jennings lately.

August 28, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |