Composer Marvin Hamlisch dead at 68
August 7th, 2012

Composer Marvin Hamlisch dead at 68

Marvin Hamlisch, a prolific composer who put together musical ensembles for an array of movies, television and theater shows, has died, his agent confirmed Tuesday.

His work over a four-decade career earned him three Oscars, four Grammys, four Emmys, a Tony and three Golden Globe awards, composing more than 40 scores for films that include "The Way We Were" and "The Sting."

On Broadway, he wrote music for the Pulitzer Prize-winning show "A Chorus Line," as well as "They're Playing Our Song" and "The Goodbye Girl." Hamlisch was 68.

"Music is truly an international language," Hamlisch said on his official website. "And I hope to contribute by widening communication as much as I can."

Social media was abuzz Tuesday with reflections about the legendary composer and the legacy he left.

"The evenings we spent with you and the Pittsburgh Pops are memories that will last forever," Jean Elliot Boyer wrote on his official Facebook page."Your banter with the audience and your down-to-earth style will stay with me forever."

"The world will miss your gift," wrote Gail Dwyer.

The Juilliard School of Music graduate held the principal pops conductor post at various American orchestras, including the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra and the Pasadena, San Diego and Seattle Symphonies.

iReport: Share memories of Marvin Hamlisch

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. kate p

great american composer...Loved the music he wrote...RIP

August 7, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. Thanks for the memories

I saw Mr. Hamlischwith my two kids directing the Seattle SO's family Christmas concert last December. He was absolutely brilliant as was the SSO, even making teasing jokes about being Jewish and directing a Christmas concert.

Thank you Mr. Hamlisch and rest well.

August 7, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  3. Charlie

What a great loss. This guy was a legend. RIP

August 7, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ian

A true genius when it came to music and composing. He will be missed and may he rest in peace.

August 7, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. Glenn

Hey listen, we're still playing his song!

August 7, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. mandfkiwsa

Wow, Marvin made some fun music... If I recall, he played and arranged the ragtime of Joplin in "The Sting" that was iconic in the 70s and also worked with Bette Midler prior to the he height of her popularity. So sorry hear that he died too young.

August 7, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. Obama McMama

RIP Mr. Hamlisch.

August 7, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kevin H

Loss of a legend at such a young age. What a pity. I remember an interview where he played the little song he penned as a boy that launched his career. So Mr. Hammlisch – some Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows for one heck of a career. RIP.

August 7, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

My condolences to Mr. Hammlisch's family and friends.
    May he rest in peace.

August 7, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Carter Nash

He is one of the few that received and deserved his EGOT

August 7, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mr Dalloway

I have so many times enjoyed learning and singing the wonderful lyrics this great man created. Very honored that he shared his fantastic gift with us, thank you Marvin.

August 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. KeyWester

I am sorry to hear of his untimely passing. However, I must say that Hamlisch appeared as a guest artist with the Jacksonvile S.O in FL a couple of years ago, and I got the impression he just didn't really want to be there or play the piano pieces that he was known for like the Joplin ragtime tunes that were in the movie "The Sting". He rushed thru them as if he was trying to see how quickly he could get done. Very disappointing performance.

August 7, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ KeyWester:
      Any musician who has a career as big as that of Mr. Hamlisch has done many things very correctly. The occasion of his passing is a poor time to remember a performance that you didn't like.
      If Mr. Hamlisch had never written anything other than A CHORUS LINE, his contribution would have been unforgettable.

August 7, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fantod

What a self-centered remark. Seriously. The man just died. He created tons of music that has entertained and inspired millions. And all you can think of is your own disappointment because he didn't play to your satisfaction on a few Joplin tunes. He's won Oscars, Emmy's and a Pulitzer Prize...you were lucky he came to play for you. He was nearing 70: it's quite likely he was tired, or maybe even ill that night. Your comment is unwarranted and unwanted.

August 8, 2012 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

/////POST DELETION RECOVERY/////
    Rest In Peace Marvin Hammlisch Scott Joplin. "Now here rests a true American icon".

August 7, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

Did I say or do something offensive in my above post? CNN's been deleting it all day. I'll go check my breath.

August 7, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |