August 10th, 2012

Officials: Suicide bomb blast kills US aid worker, 3 US troops in Afghanistan

A suicide bomb attack in Afghanistan's volatile Kunar province has killed a U.S. foreign service officer and three senior American military leaders, officials said late Thursday.

Killed in the explosion on Wednesday was Army Command Sgt. Maj. Kevin J. Griffin the senior enlisted soldier of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division from Fort Carson, Colorado, the Department of Defense said.

Also killed in the blast were Army Maj. Thomas E. Kennedy, 35, of West Point, New York, and Air Force Maj. Walter D. Gray, 38, of Conyers, Georgia, the Defense Department said.

Kennedy served on the brigade staff, while Gray was a flight commander attached as a liaison to the brigade, according to their respective service records.

Griffith, 45, of Laramie, Colorado, was the brigade's senior ranking non-commissioned officer, the Defense Department said.

An American USAID Foreign Service Officer, Ragaei Abdelfattah, and an Afghan interpreter were also killed, the State Department said.

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S. • World
  1. Philip

It's always sad to hear of a neighbor of mine being killed in Afghanistan. But being from Colorado Springs, (aka Ft. Carson, NORAD, Petersen AFB, US Air Force academy, Shrever AFB, etc etc etc) I've grown accustomed to it. Hence my usual lack of expressed sentiments.
    I feel as though this man, Kevin J. Griffith (RIP), wasn't used for what he signed-on for. I do not believe that he died for God&Country. I believe that he died for the Carlyle Group, NOT for you and I.
    Are you going to attack me for my beliefs again?

August 10, 2012 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. famous quotes-on topic

"The glory of War is all moonshine."-Civil War General Sherman (whom the mighty (lol) World War II "Sherman Tank" was named after.) aka "Ferdinand Porsche food". Porsche designed Germanys MIGHTY Panzer and Tiger battle tanks.
    Have you ever drank of Sherman's moonshine?

August 10, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

No, some of us are having trouble posting, as you would have seen if you bothered reading anyone else's posts.

August 10, 2012 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Okay, have to apologize to Philip for the snarky comment.
      I was taking my inability to post out on him, and of course that's the first post to actually be seen.

My condolesnces to the families of the soldiers who were killed.
      My heart goes out to them.

August 10, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

Gm banasy. (seinfeld to newman) 🙂
    I read yesterday that many were having trouble posting. Odd, b/c yesterday was the first day in many months that each of my comments posted.
    I wish that CNN would adopt 10 yr. old rolling chatroom technology here so we could form some groups and perhaps get somewhere rather than just back-and-forth each day.
    No offense taken...as you know, you must offend me more than that to get me going! he he 🙂 If you offend America in general, I won't take it personal. (just so ya know)

August 10, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. cynsterfo

How could a senior official fall for the oldest war game trick in the book? Impossible. Philip I agree the Carlyle group has manifested this whole mess. Now back the War, who is going to stop it?

August 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. saywhat

Good morning all.
    I'm too one of those unable to post. Perhaps this bit goes thru.

August 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. saywhat

3 more fallen. Its heart rending and our thoughts are with their families.

August 10, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. saywhat

Oh, the futility and senselessness of it all.
    Thousands of our troops, tens of thousands of civilians sacrificed on this altar of madness and counting.

August 10, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. saywhat

And what has the world 'achieved' in these past 11 years of death & destruction?
    Instability, countries destroyed, a whole region turned into a breeding ground of hatred and violence. Misery, crime, poverty, hunger, the by products.
    A whole generation growing up under a reign of fire.

August 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. saywhat

And yet dear friends @banasy @Philip we hunger for more.

August 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

That we do, saywhat. That we do.
    If it isn't guts and blood and t its, it's not very entertaining or profitable, especially come wartime.

August 10, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Fish Stick

Can somebody tell me what is America still doing in that country for and why America went over ther in the first place. Since it's been such a long and useless war i forgot

August 10, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bill

Yet another example of why we need to hasten our departure from that futile effort there!

August 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Short and trite: war sux.

August 10, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. saywhat

Why not just remove ourselves from the place where we had no right to be in the first instance??
    11 years on and we are still there. Killing and getting killed, wasting tax payers two billion dollars a week.

August 10, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |