August 10th, 2012

U.S. in first effort to clean up Agent Orange in Vietnam

The United States has pitched in for the first time to clean up part of the toxic legacy left by the millions of gallons of the chemical compound code named Agent Orange that it dumped on Vietnam during the war there in the 1960s and '70s.

The U.S. military used Agent Orange, also known as dioxin, to kill trees and plants that blocked visibility from the air during the Vietnam War. But the chemical, which can cause cancer and birth defects, also harmed humans and left areas of Vietnam contaminated.

In an effort to start addressing this noxious remnant of the war, the U.S. and Vietnamese governments, along with partnering organizations, are treating a contaminated zone at the airport of the central Vietnamese city of Danang.

Workers will dig up soil, stockpile it, and treat it using high temperatures that break down the dioxin.

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S. • World
  1. Mary

Understood Katman. Yet, well lets just say that for some it's impossible to move on as you say. And really, move without being an advocate for those still going through the pain you deal with each day. Bless you Katman

August 10, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Rawr:
    I am so sorry that you are still living with the repercussions of that war.
    You have my admiration for not only serving, but your forti tude in getting through your experience and becoming a better human being for it.

PS: cute jokes...

August 10, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ banasy©

It's just one of the myriad of things some must contend with. It's not something I talk about, as there is nothing that can be done. The way I look at it, when you are born, you are already given a death sentence. You don't know when or how, but you know it's going to happen. Why dwell on that ? You're given a certain number of years to make your mark. Do the good you can and don't worry about what will come.

BTW, I'm glad they fixed that glitch. This a lonely place here, when the rest of you aren't around.

August 10, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

You're batting .750, dearheart.
      I'm glad I am able to post, also.
      Carry on with your jokes; they are welcome and funny!

August 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

Dang, I figured I'd be closer to .750 by now.

August 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. saywhat

Thanks @Philip but no thanks. I wouldn't venture out in a field where @bobcat holds sway to our liking.
    On Bishops and War, well the history of Roman Catholic church beginning 900-1000 AD or even before. God, thats a lot of telling. Spare me please.

August 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

Not THAT much telling @saywhat. Here's a brief synopsis:
    The last Apostle dies. (probably John, who died on the penal island of Patmos near the turn of the 1st century) The Apostle Paul had already been beheaded in Rome.
    The foretold "wolves in sheeps clothing" enter the christian church and get involved in politics...voting and running for office. And also begin twisting God's word the Bible.
    200 years later it's called the "Holy" Roman Empire. Ponitfex Maximus rules the world and the world religion.
    Obviously not God's doing.

August 10, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

"End" of first century, rather. John finished writing his letters about the year 98 CE from prison, where he died.

August 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

Where was Israel and her jewish peoples? Mostly all dead. Roman troops sacked Jerusalem about 30 years before the Apostle John died. Virtually every inhabitant of Jerusalem was executed. And keep in mind, most who lived in the countryside fled to the city for protection.

August 10, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Creepyphil

I write excessively about stuff that nobody but me has brought up and get mad if people don't answer me. Pity me.

August 10, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

Dogs get mad, people get angry. Anger is expressed hurt.
    And don't even think that my being ignored here even phases me in the least. I was raised by ignorers of me. In fact, my entire extended family is ignorant of me and what I have to say. Some took that ignorance to the grave with them. My own mother is fixing to as we speak/chat in a newsroom. 🙂

August 10, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Creepyphil

LMAO!!! Righghghghghght. You go after peeps all the time when they ignore you. guess negative attention is betterthan none. have you ever confronted your mama? No, right? better to punish US for what happened to YOU. later.

August 10, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

...and why aren't you in 'saywhat's' face? He brought-up the ROMAN catholic Church, history of.
    I do declare that I could post exactly what 'saywhat' does from time to time and you would harp on me for saying his words. And I know why: enablers either love me or want their boyfriends to beat me up. From since I was a kid.

August 10, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Creepyphil

saywhat doesn't natter on endlessly. he says it ONCE and that's it. saywhat is nice. Get it? And for the last time, anger is NOT expressed hurt, keep repeating it, it won't make it true. They are two different emotions!!!

August 10, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. saywhat

Cool it guys please. Thanks@Creepyphil.
    This blog remains vibrant because the likes of you take time to post their thoughts , opinions and yes at times vent their emotions. I have learned and do learn from@Philip and other fellow bloggers.
    Hope all of you continue posting.
    Have a nice evening.

August 10, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bobcat (in a hat)©

C'mon people now, smile on you brother (or sister as it may be). Everybody get together and try to love one another right now.
    So much animosity today.

August 10, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Ah, the Youngbloods.
      Great song, Rawr.
      And saywhat, ever the diplomat; Creepyphil has as much right to talk as Hag Lady, although I've never seen anyone with that u/n, lol...and Hag Lady has as much right to talk as Philip.

Enhance your calm.

@Philip:
      I asked several qualified therapists about your phrase, because I have been curious about it for some time.
      They all said that is not an expression they've heard of, although each therapist may use whatever terminology works best for a particular patient or group.
      So if that's how *you* feel about it, okay.
      But it's not written in stone as everyone has different therapy needs.
      Obviously, one size doesn't fit all.

Have a lovely evening, all, I think this thread is done.

August 10, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

You both speak as if Creepyphil is actually a news blogger here. I've never seen him before. When did you all first meet?
    Donna. 98% of all therpaists use drug therapy for depression and anger issues. And just going by what you've revealed about yourself, I doubt that you have ever been to a drug-free therapist.
    Doctors and nurses take the same painkillers and anti-depressants prescribed toyou folks. So of course their opinions would differ from mine. People take drugs to avoid dealing with issues, even if the issue is a headache. Try dealing with pain w/o drugs. Then you will see that anger comes from hurting.

August 10, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I have asked you repeatedly not to use my given name, and you have repeatedly ignored my wishes, Philip.
      Why is that?

In your posts, you told Creepyphil to ask any therapist.
      He didn't answer, but I have been curious for some time about it, so I asked.
      That's all.

Sorry you didn't like the answer they gave, but by their answer, obviously it isn't used by "all" as you have intimated.

As for the rest of your post, I know you are completely anti-drug except for alcohol; I accept that, so no comment needs to be made.

I shall not engage you any more; obviously I cannot say anything to you that you won't take offense in some way at.

August 11, 2012 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

Take a woman who suffers from a liver damaged by acetamenophen. (migraine headaches) She rearely drinks. Her migraines have driven her to become a social chameleon, for example.
    She tends to get angry when hurt even by mere words. (sticks and stones MAY break my bones but words will never hurt me. From my childhood memory of my grandpa teaching me)
    Anger is expressed hurt.