August 13th, 2012

Monday's live events

The two major parties will come together in the next few weeks to make their presidential tickets official.  CNN.com Live is your home for all the action from the Republican and Democratic National Conventions.

Today's programming highlights...

8:45 am ET - Romney in Florida - GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney spends his day in Florida, where he'll campaign with Sen. Marco Rubio in St. Augustine.  He'll later speak in Miami at 5:15 pm ET.

12:25 pm ET - Obama talks economy - President Obama will spend much of his day campaigning in Iowa, starting with an event in Council Bluffs.  He'll later travel to Boone for a 6:15 pm ET event.

12:45 pm ET - Biden on campaign trail - Vice President Joe Biden is also getting in the campaign spirit today.  He speaks to supporters in Durham, North Carolina.

2:00 pm ET - Ryan goes to the fair - Two days after being tapped as Mitt Romney's running mate, Rep. Paul Ryan stumps for votes at the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Elections • On CNN.com today • Politics
  1. chrissy

Omg bobcat, why would you think i wasnt the real deal? And of course thats superman.

August 13, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

Are you the real deal?

August 13, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

@ bobcat, who else do you know thats gonna TELL the pink elephant in the room what everyone else thinks, but for whatever reason wont say it??

August 13, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |

@ chrissy

You got me there. Hey my excuse for not realizing it's you, is I just woke up a short time ago and my brain has caught up with me yet. Sound good ?

August 13, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ chrissy

I apologize. It is so hard to tell sometimes. So a very hearty Good Morning to you. And yes they don't get any realer than me. Realer. Now that could be an interesting word. You know just like indominable. Those snowmen that live in the himalayas.

August 13, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

lmfao @ bobcat, the snowmen are *abominable* indomitable is ME! Right banasy? And sorry i was in a good mood til i read that personal atrocious attack on banasy, you and myself by none other than Jay Jay! And then of course the king of crap next.

August 13, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

I thought abominable was another name for the stomach.

August 13, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

That's abdominal.
      I never get tired of this! 😉

August 13, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |

Abdominal

I thought that was the name of a pizza chain.

Me too.

August 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

That's Domino's.

August 13, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |

Dominos

I thought that was a game you played with tiles that have dots on them.

August 13, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flutterby

It is!
      It's also the name of a pizza chain that may give you abdominal pains if you eat it.
      The pizza, not the tiles, although that would probably give you the same result.

August 13, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |

True, true Flutterby

But does the eating of the pizza by Dominos, while you play a game of Dominoes, while suffering a pain that's Abdominal, make you a snowman that's Abominable, truly make one Indomitable ?

August 13, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flutterby

Short and sweet: yes. With an iron stomach.

August 13, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

While I'm thinking about it Flutterby, did you get your name from that famous opera Madame Flutterby.

August 13, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flutterby

Bobcat, no, I didn't. My mom wasn't a madame. My dad was.

August 13, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

The following is an unpaid non-politcal announcement. And I approve this statement.

THIS IS FOR THE TROLLS THAT DON'T KNOW WHY THEY DO WHAT THEY DO

What Is A Troll?
    The term derives from "trolling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The troll posts a message, often in response to an honest question, that is intended to upset, disrupt or simply insult the group.

Usually, it will fail, as the troll rarely bothers to match the tone or style of the group, and usually its ignorance shows.

August 13, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |

Why do trolls do it?
      I believe that most trolls are sad people, living their lonely lives vicariously through those they see as strong and successful.

Disrupting a stable newsgroup gives the illusion of power, just as for a few, stalking a strong person allows them to think they are strong, too.

For trolls, any response is 'recognition'; they are unable to distinguish between irritation and admiration; their ego grows directly in proportion to the response, regardless of the form or content of that response.

Trolls, rather surprisingly, dispute this, claiming that it's a game or joke; this merely confirms the diagnosis; how sad do you have to be to find such mind-numbingly trivial timewasting to be funny?

Remember that trolls are cowards; they'll usually post just enough to get an argument going, then sit back and count the responses (Yes, that's what they do!).

August 13, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

How can troll posts be recognised?
      No Imagination – Most are frighteningly obvious; se ist comments on nurses' groups, blasp hemy on religious groups .. I kid you not.
      Pedantic in the Extreme – Many trolls' preparation is so thorough, that while they waste time, they appear so ludicrous from the start that they elicit sympathetic mail – the danger is that once the group takes sides, the damage is done.
      False Ident ity – Because they are cowards, trolls virtually never write over their own name, and often reveal their trolliness (and lack of imagi nation) in the chosen ID. As so many folk these days use false ID, this is not a strong indicator on its own!
      Crossposting – Any post that is crossposted to several groups should be viewed as suspi cious, particularly if unrelated or of opposing perspective. Why would someone do that?
      Off-topic posting – Often genuine errors, but, if from an 'outsider' they deserve matter-of-fact response; if genuine, a brief apposite response is simply netiquette; if it's a troll post, you have denied it its reward.
      Rept ition of a question or statement is either a troll – or a pedant; either way, treatment as a troll is effective.
      Missing The Point – Trolls rarely answer a direct question – they cannot, if asked to justify their twaddle – so they develop a fine line in missing the point.
      Thick or Sad – Trolls are usually sad, lonely folk, with few social skills; they rarely make what most people would consider intelligent conversation. However, they frequently have an obsession with their IQ and feel the need to tell everyone. This is so frequent, that it is diagnostic! Somewhere on the web there must be an Intelligence Test for Trolls – rigged to always say "above 150"

August 13, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Wow, Rawr.
      What a well thought-out diagnosis of the perils of trollism.
      Do they count the number of times they post, also, as if a gold star is being given out at the end of the day?

August 13, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

So, in my closing statement on this, I've just got to say that I don't understand why anyone would want to be ident itfied in this light. It doesn't seem to be very flattering to me. But that's just me.

August 13, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |

@ banasy

No, it doesn't mention their keeping count. The research i did on this was more or less desciptive of their sad life styles, pointing out in many cases how they never are able to fit in to groups because of their inferiority complexes.
      It's kina like the kind that thinks, Well if I'm going to mserable, then I'll make everyone else miserable too. Some just to extremes to be nasty in their efforts.

August 13, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Oh, and the gold star thing. I think their gold star comes in the satisfaction of knowing they have succeeded if they indeed succeed.
      That truly has to be a sad life.

August 13, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Bc(iah):
      There is a word for a person who derives great satisfaction from another person's misery: schaedenfruede.

August 13, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

Youre forgiven, but remember you are sposed to recognise our styles right?

August 13, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Though I didn't make the comment @ 12:21, I must say I agree.

August 13, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

lmfao you mean abdomin? like when a certain persons ding ding retracted into his abdomin from taking too many bayer aspirin? roflmao ty Joey and raven i will NEVER forget that!

August 13, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

So in other simpler words, KING OF CRAP right? roflmmfao! Yup! Guess we need a troll bridge huh? He he he, <that btw is another term i hate, pretend laughter!

August 13, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

Me too what? Bobcat and the answer is dominoes silly.

August 13, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Me too, as in I never get tired of this. And dominos is game you play with tiles that have dots on them, right ?

August 13, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Superman

My abonibable hurts is that right? you all got me so dam confused

August 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Superman

Could the bestest bud in the world text me ? and hello to the finest group on Cnn

August 13, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Superman

No actually that i madam butterfly , that ius awesome music nice thought though.

August 13, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. saywhat

My prayers and thoughts go out to the families of 300 killed in the Iran earthquake. I hope the thousands injured survive. Entire villages have been destroyed.
    But perhaps it is not politically correct to express such sentiments and appropriate for the media to cover. That it is a tragic loss of human life is besides the point.
    Good morning all.

August 13, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Superman

@bobcat iah you get a pound o gold not a gold star for your knowledge i sense a psychologist here and either way your good nice to see some intelligence on here

August 13, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |