August 13th, 2012

Viewers outraged after NBC cuts away from closing ceremonies

NBC was pummeled by viewers who took to social media after the network cut away early from the closing ceremonies of the London Games on Sunday to air a new television show, drawing outrage from those who tuned in for the highly anticipated musical spectacle.

The Twitter-sphere exploded - with "#NBCfail" and "#closingceremonies" trending worldwide - after NBC cut out performances by Ray Davies, Kate Bush, the Who and the Muse in favor of a commercial-free airing of "Animal Practice."

"I still don't understand, it's a tape delay, so can't you do the math in advance? Why do you need to cut off the closing ceremony? #nbcfail," wrote Raj Sarkar on Twitter.

Actor Nate Barlow posted to his Twitter account: "Why #nbcfail ranks last: no better way to turn people off a new show than to preempt @thewho & other rock legends for it."

The network was under fire for much of the 16 days of the Games by viewers who took to Twitter and Facebook to complain about its tape-delayed coverage of big ticket events, which NBC has said was necessary to maximize its prime-time audience.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Sports • U.S. • World
  1. ronvan

WORST coverage of the Olympics I have experienced!! Due to my two bit satellite company, (NO LONGER, BACK TO CABLE), I missed the opening ceremony. Now just starting to watch the closing ceremony and BANG! Switching back and forth between 6 channels to TRY and watch those events I like! Putting up with the 5 + min. commercials! Torr's comment might be the answer, in that NBC might hope that in buying a DVD they will get a percentage! It always seems to wind up being about the $$$$!

August 13, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. ken

"NBC".......National Barack Channel"

August 13, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • realoldguy

Man, is that ever quality conservative wit (QCW)! So funny! So original! And... you ever-so subtly blame Obama for something else! Where would we be without QCW!

August 13, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. JohnUK

Just FYI the band is called simply 'Muse', not 'The Muse'. I'm sure its an easy mistake to make, they're only one of the biggest contemporary rock bands in the world.

August 13, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Chloe

Thanks! I'm a grandmother and I knew that. NBC/CNN are pathetic.

August 13, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Is that in this world?

August 13, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Yea John the MUSE or whatever they are called are so big I ve never heard of them.
      A bunch of no talent lip syncing bums like the rest of the artists at the closing ceremonies.
      The WHO would've been the only one worth watching. They have actually sold MILLIONS of records
      world wide. Amazing what is called music these days. It s a JOKE!

August 13, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  4. FatFace Freddie

Honestly, who watches TV anymore? The entire coverage was in HD freely and legally online. This is 2012 people.

August 13, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Dagnar

You get your HD channels for free??? No cable or ISP bill? Wow, where do I sign up for this free HD?

This is 2012, FatFace Freddie: Nothing is "free".

August 13, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Agnar,
      Obamacare is "free." At least that's what he promised. Yea right!

August 13, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. louiske

greedy tv networks , one of the first cause of dumbing down the US. They should rot, stop watching tv. read a book or be online 🙂

August 13, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. Willy Brown

What elese would you expect from the National Barack Channel

August 13, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Billy Buster Jr.

You can always tell when the single celled organisms from Drudge arrive to any story on the web. Somehow it becomes about Barrack Obama.

August 13, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  7. Yirmin Snipe

That's the reason I don't even bother watching it... add to that the continued "human interest" angle they bombard you with at every turn, sprinkle in 15 minutes of commercials for every hour of content... and the Olympics really amount to 5 minutes of actual sports for every hour.... Not worth my time. Better off just looking for clips of the events I want to see online.

August 13, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. marti klever

Networks are so over. And this is one of the reasons why.

August 13, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  9. David B

Look....the last thing Big-Brother/NBC wants is some group that sings about "watching the police and the tax-man miss me!"....Big-Brother hates that we are mobile...both autos and cell phones! NBC is not about to let a group that sings about freedom reach such a large group of the masses! Not in their best interest.

August 13, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sarge

For the first time, I didn't watch any Olympics coverage this time around. Frankly, I didn't miss it.
    Maybe I've finally grown out of being told what I "Must See". Tough luck, networks – – you did it to yourselves.

August 13, 2012 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. cc turner

NBC IS A DISGRACE. They cant even handle a camera angle. The show was a disaster. Imagine screwing that up? The only thing NBC and CNN care about it pushing their political crap down everyones's throat. Why don't they just call themselves "left wing we hate anything outside of lefty bs- Tv Station" lol. They are the laughing stock of America. Its amazine I have not met a single person yet who isnt outraged over the horrible third rate coverage of the Olympics. They are a joke. Be proud NBC and CNN – you are a JOKE!

August 13, 2012 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. cc turner

Cant wait to see their coverage of the election which frankly unless they are preparing a MASS for Obama why do they bother to pretend we are a 2 party country! DISGRACE! If my kids came home and said they found a job on either station I would tell them to be unemployed before they attached their name to those 2 swamps!

August 13, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  13. Gabbo

NBC has proven time and time again that they have the judgement of an idiot. Their preference in Presidential candidates ( aka Barry Soetoro ) demonstrates this in ....er ... clubs.

August 13, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. Trish

If NBC covered the Academy Awards, I'll bet they wouldn't break away before the end! What really ticks me off about what they did, is that they did it in a pathetic attempt to shove their trash programs down our throat. Didn't work. I know how to change channels.

August 13, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  15. els

NBC has the worst Olympics coverage, and it gets worse every time. This time instead of seeing coverage of more events we had to have a nightly recap of who got the most Facebook hits and who was most popular on Twitter. Instead of covering more events NBC thought we needed to see John Mcenroe try to play beach volleyball. Couldn't we have seen some actual tennis matches with Mcenroe doing the play by play instead? I could go on and on.

August 13, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |