August 13th, 2012

Viewers outraged after NBC cuts away from closing ceremonies

NBC was pummeled by viewers who took to social media after the network cut away early from the closing ceremonies of the London Games on Sunday to air a new television show, drawing outrage from those who tuned in for the highly anticipated musical spectacle.

The Twitter-sphere exploded - with "#NBCfail" and "#closingceremonies" trending worldwide - after NBC cut out performances by Ray Davies, Kate Bush, the Who and the Muse in favor of a commercial-free airing of "Animal Practice."

"I still don't understand, it's a tape delay, so can't you do the math in advance? Why do you need to cut off the closing ceremony? #nbcfail," wrote Raj Sarkar on Twitter.

Actor Nate Barlow posted to his Twitter account: "Why #nbcfail ranks last: no better way to turn people off a new show than to preempt @thewho & other rock legends for it."

The network was under fire for much of the 16 days of the Games by viewers who took to Twitter and Facebook to complain about its tape-delayed coverage of big ticket events, which NBC has said was necessary to maximize its prime-time audience.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Sports • U.S. • World
  1. BG

When NBC turned off the closing ceremony to put on their new TV show, i just turned off the TV. Waiting an hour to watch the WHO while suffering through your new 'comedy' was not going to happen. You had 4 years to figure this out, and this is what you came up with? Shameful!

I hope not to see you in Rio NBC. But if you buy the rights, I truly hope you learned a lesson from London and don't repeat your craptastic coverage.

Oh, and in the next 4 years, do you think it would be possible to figure out how to put a microphone closer to the sound system during events where music is played? Just plain horrible is how I would describe the coverage.

August 13, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. beenaroundyaknow

NBC was pathetic in their coverage of the entire Olympics. from the closing cut-away to interviewing McEnroe while an event was being broadcast. I was just surprised we didn't' see commercials for GE/ Chinese companies during the whole thing. I wish they would get over their love affair with Bob Costas and his boring "human interest pieces". So 80's

August 13, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. John Clark

Who cares? I didn't watch it. I didn't miss it. too much hype and apparently very little substance. The mainstay of NBC.

August 13, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  4. whattime

So what do you expect from NBC, The Nothing But C-unts network, AKA, Matt the Quake.

August 13, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  5. asl3676

Those who are critical because they missed The Who and George Michael llip synching songs we have heard for 40 years see to have a need to be critical.....Did viewers forget that NBC is not PBS? Commercials and never ending promos are the price viewers pay for free access...STOP WHINING

August 13, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • D

But they ran the awful new show without commercials...explain that.

August 13, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Roger Daltry

Sorry old bean...so of had rather watch 40 year old lips syncing as NBC advertised it would be seen. Not another ignorant NBC sitcom that will be shelved an forgotten in 40 days.

BTW – Thanks for looking out for us dum amurikans who ain't got nuff cents to no what were watchin on the TEEVEE.

August 13, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Trish

It wasn't the commercials - obviously you didn't watch it at all. It was the fact that they interrupted coverage in a pathetic attempt to shove their trash program down our throats.

August 13, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • James Hazlett

Its time for NBC to go. Why can't another Network televise the Olimpics?

August 13, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Libertarian_Thinker

Ah "asl3676" you are such a shining example of our failed government school system.

NBC earns money from advertisers who pay for viewership. When NBC alienates their own audience it is not exactly a good business model.

Such a pathetic grasp of how the economy works and another government school causality.

PS... For Goodness Sake Man, Please don't believe too much of what you see on PBS

August 13, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. Derek L

The losers of these games were the sports fans. This prime time drama that NBC tried to create was a disaster. I am now referring to these olympics as the "skin games". We got to watch any event that featured hardened women bodies including every single serve of beach volleyball, every flip in women's gymnastics, and every single dive in that event. In primetime where was the 17 year old women boxer who won the gold or the women who took the first gold in Judo? Was there any weightlifting in these games? I heard archery was popular but it was absent in prime time. I understand the aspect of London being 5 hours ahead of us and the need to show some delayed events, but couldn't NBC avoided treating these games as a skin-filled prime time reality show soap opera? And to add insult to injury we had to go through an hour in a half of world war 2 history and miss some great bands because of the introduction of a new show? That ranks up there with infamous Heidi episode that interrupted a football game many moons ago. And to think, NBC has rights to these games through 2020. Wonderful!

August 13, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  7. Yep

NBC did the same thing at the end of the 2010 Winter Olympics when they cut away to show the first episode of Seinfelds crappy show the Marriage Ref.

August 13, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sparky2

I don't watch NBC anymore...after they proved they were/are in the tank for Obama....but I assume that if they went away from the Olympic finals for another show....it would make me thing the 'other show' represents some kind of a left wing message that they feel is strong.

August 13, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  9. Steve Johnson

It's easy to avoid the emotional turmoil and all the moaning and gnashing of teeth.... don't bother to watch it at all. I watched an NCIS marathon yesterday and was completely satisfied. Who gives a flying **** over a televised party? That's about as pathetic as I can imagine. Living vicariously through a TV set? Creepy.

August 13, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  10. Charlotte

Sorry but NBC isn't "maximiz(ing) its prime-time audience" in this household. Our issue with the delay is how it has cut away from family viewing. As kids, my husband and I grew up watching the Olympics with our families at much earlier times, with a break for the news and then back to more coverage. With the NBC coverage not happening until 8pm, our family gets one hour of viewing in, of which we feel is about 20min of actual Olympic event coverage, because then it's time for bed. Not to mention, we can't as adults stay up till midnight as we get up at 5:30am to get ready to go to work for the day. We watched the live stream of the closing for just the reasons that everyone has given (cutting of acts and such). The only positive thing we felt happened was that the commentary was kept to a minimum, so that we could enjoy some of the performances over again.

August 13, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  11. wilvus

I watched the closing ceremony on the BBC (as well as most of the games...) Awesome....The BBC did a much better job than NBC. There was really no comparison, NBC was terrible. I'm sure by the next Olympic's most folks wil be watching it on the web and not on crappy network television. Find a program like Expat Sheild to spoof your IP address to a country that cares about real sport, not T&A and junk sport events.

August 13, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

NBC hasn't been relevant (to me) since ER went off the air.
    Am I surprised by this?
    Not one jot.
    It *is* a business, after all.

August 13, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. laserw

I thought the NBC coverage was weakly produced and overall was uninteresting.

I especially disliked the gender bias of the coverage – in a time when we are supposedly seeking equality and to not even notice gender, this "women" bias was outrageous. Who cares if more women won medals than men? If we applied the liberal logic, we should therefore start punishing women and promoting men's programs to generate "equality".

I do have to say that the US men's basketball team should be ashamed of their performance – LeBrick James was unprofessional and exemplified all that is vile about professional sports. Our men's team half-stepped through the game and only were able to score on "showboat" plays instead of playing real basketball. I was ashamed as an American watching such a pathetic group of selfish athletes unable to pull together as a team without getting into the face of referees and to put on a clinic of real basketball. Kudos to Spain for at least playing basketball as it was established instead of trying to turn every possession into a highlight reel.

August 13, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Phids

I fault NBC for its blatantly liberal coverage of the games. One would think that the Olympics was a non-partisan thing, but leave it to NBC to highlight the "gay" athletes competing and to treat them as some kind of heroes for their participation. Oh, and Bob Costas just had to bring up Gabby Douglas' race in his commentary on girls gymnastics. Who cares what race she is? If we are ever to live in a post-racial world, you have to stop commenting on race whenever a non-white person gets a new reward. NBC's politically correct, liberal ideology needs to stop.

August 13, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  15. Derek L

To those sitting on a pedestal smugly judging anyone with an opinion as having "too much time on their hands" all I have to say is it must be great to be you! Evidently you had enough time to enter your opinion on a blog site! Does that make you dare I say a hypocrite? I live a very busy life but being a sports fan with the olympics coming but once every 4 years (ok twice counting winter), I try to make some time to enjoy the spectacle. Having seen them live in Atlanta there is nothing like being there but unfortunately, the olympics won't be in the US until at least 2024. So my only chance to watch them is on our great national network (trying not to laugh) NBC. And the fact is, the sports fans lost out on these olympics. Only those who like the prime time reality show type drama and watching scantily clad women benefitted. Not that I don't like women but I watched these games for the sports value and feel cheated. That's all.

August 13, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |