August 13th, 2012

Viewers outraged after NBC cuts away from closing ceremonies

NBC was pummeled by viewers who took to social media after the network cut away early from the closing ceremonies of the London Games on Sunday to air a new television show, drawing outrage from those who tuned in for the highly anticipated musical spectacle.

The Twitter-sphere exploded - with "#NBCfail" and "#closingceremonies" trending worldwide - after NBC cut out performances by Ray Davies, Kate Bush, the Who and the Muse in favor of a commercial-free airing of "Animal Practice."

"I still don't understand, it's a tape delay, so can't you do the math in advance? Why do you need to cut off the closing ceremony? #nbcfail," wrote Raj Sarkar on Twitter.

Actor Nate Barlow posted to his Twitter account: "Why #nbcfail ranks last: no better way to turn people off a new show than to preempt @thewho & other rock legends for it."

The network was under fire for much of the 16 days of the Games by viewers who took to Twitter and Facebook to complain about its tape-delayed coverage of big ticket events, which NBC has said was necessary to maximize its prime-time audience.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Sports • U.S. • World
  1. Justin Time

NBC has been sucking longer then the Hoover vacuum.

August 13, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Chappaqua Bill C

NBC is the current model for the Dyson.

August 13, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. SR

I'd have to say NBC could have done a much better job. Although BBC coverage provided a much more complete coverage of the Olympics, I bit the bullet and chose to follow along with NBC despite there tape delayed footage. As an American, I'd still rather watch a station impartial to American athletes and teams as I'm sure it is the same in every country accordingly. Proud of our USA women's soccer team and men's basketball team. We won Gold, and thats enough said.

August 13, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. Ratt

NBC Olympic coverage was the worst I have ever seen. Did we get to see any Live coverage at all ?

August 13, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. Bozo MacGinty

Re: the opening and closing ceremonies: What did make it through the endless advertising and host blather on NBC wasn't very good. Actually, the concepts were rather unsophisticated and lame. The execution was confused and disjointed. It is clear that the Queen was displeased with the opening, and it is equally clear that she intentionally took a pass on the closing ceremonies. Evidently, Danny Boyle was given carte blanche to present to the world his personal mishmash of English history in the opening and the line up of the current pop musicians that will soon be forgotten, but I am sure that Danny got his autograph! All in all, what NBC pre-empted, was unlikely to be much different from what did make it through.

August 13, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chappaqua Bill C

Did I miss the Olympics again? Shucks! (NOOOOOOOT!)

August 13, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jerry

Idiots...

August 13, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeff Laventure

Live coverage? Wake up at one AM and watch all the live coverage to your hearts content. NBC is a company which means it needs to make a profit. I'm sorry but some things aren't free and if it bothers you then I suggest, in four years, you buy round trip tickets to Brazil, hotel rooms and tickets to the events you wish to see. I have cable TV and at tomes there were seven channels dedicated to Olympic sports. Yes. it's irritating to have commercial interruptions but so is paying for numerous channels which I have no desire to watch. However, I do have one complaint and that is the constant score updating of other soccer games which I haven't had the opportunity to watch. And please, years ago olympic coverage was provided on only one channel.

August 13, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

It fine that NBC delayed the broadcast and had commercial breaks, but why did they act as if it were a live broadcast?
      They should have come back from commercial and picked up where they left off, but they didn't, they just rejoined the show as if it was live. I think they could've made it some much better, by editing the show down to 3 or 4 hours, instead of the crazy cuts, then losing HDTV half way in . . . Just a very poor thought out broadcast.

August 13, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BillCatz

NBC the National Broadcasting CENSOR. I just don't understand why American networks and so-called journalists are striving to be the worst they can be. You just don't see this asinine nonsense in any other industry.

August 13, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. caddolakeguy

I quit watching after about the third day. All they were showing was swimming and volleyball, volleyball and swimming. Of course there was also the obligatory talking heads who contributed NOTHING to the coverage and wasted time that could have been used to show other events.
    Very poor coverage...

August 13, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • floridaguy

I only watched Soccer No ads Switched channels at half time.

August 13, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. klg1956

They probably felt they had better cut out before Michaels whipped it out on prime time tv (kind of like Anthony Weiner did) and then a huge fine would ensue that they couldn't possibly afford to pay (they would have to declare bankruptcy) because nobody ever watches NBC which is why they spent their very last dime on the Olympics in the first place...to have an audience for a change! LOL

August 13, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. daveinaz

All of the networks should be given the opportunity to broadcast the opening and closing ceremonies. Then, let the best representation shine.

August 13, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cory

Was watching the marathon yesterday and for the life of me I couldn't understand WHY IN THE HELL they didn't have the miles completed beside the time. Then it dawned on me that unless you could figure out how long it was going to take the runners to finish the race you'd have to watch the whole thing. Got disgusted, recorded it and FF to the finish. What jerks.

August 13, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Giovanni

It was quite clearly the worst coverage of the Olympic games in modern history. 40% commercials, 40% human interest stories, chatter among the broadcasters and Bob Costas pontificating and 20% games that NBC chose to show on a limited, tape delayed basis for the most part. This is a perfect example on how not to cover the Olympics and as long as a network gets the contract to broadcast the games, this is what will be get, over and over again. Just pathetic.

August 13, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Uncle Sam

Congrats NBC! You absolutely ruined the Olympics from the very first moment to the very last... literally.

August 13, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Buzz

Thank goodness for my DVR, allows me to speed through junk like the Who and the other rock junk noise makers.

August 13, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |