August 13th, 2012

Viewers outraged after NBC cuts away from closing ceremonies

NBC was pummeled by viewers who took to social media after the network cut away early from the closing ceremonies of the London Games on Sunday to air a new television show, drawing outrage from those who tuned in for the highly anticipated musical spectacle.

The Twitter-sphere exploded - with "#NBCfail" and "#closingceremonies" trending worldwide - after NBC cut out performances by Ray Davies, Kate Bush, the Who and the Muse in favor of a commercial-free airing of "Animal Practice."

"I still don't understand, it's a tape delay, so can't you do the math in advance? Why do you need to cut off the closing ceremony? #nbcfail," wrote Raj Sarkar on Twitter.

Actor Nate Barlow posted to his Twitter account: "Why #nbcfail ranks last: no better way to turn people off a new show than to preempt @thewho & other rock legends for it."

The network was under fire for much of the 16 days of the Games by viewers who took to Twitter and Facebook to complain about its tape-delayed coverage of big ticket events, which NBC has said was necessary to maximize its prime-time audience.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Sports • U.S. • World
  1. Leonid Brezhnev

That new show sucked balls. The only good part was the monkey.

August 13, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. gloria

Awful coverage!! NBC commentators didn't even know the name of the all the British supermodels and they cut my favorite band Muse!!

August 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dave

Not showing George Michael probably raised their overall ratings.

August 13, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Gary Johnson

It's the only thing NBC did right during the entire Olympics coverage.......

August 13, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jo Ann Carroll

NBC worst coverage and then to put on that stupid show that I think they are billing as a comedy. Thank god
    for HBO and Showtime.

August 13, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tortuga

I don't know why anybody is surprised at the failure of NBC, they did the same thing last time the Olympics was on NBC, which is about the time I quit watching NBC,ABC,CBS and CNN. I mean, come on, they didn't build that. Change is coming. God Bless America, RICO all banksters and their ho politicians and IMPEACH the LIAR, Eric Holder.

August 13, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • icansayitnow

Even before the Olympics. Some might have thought NBC, and the other Alphabet networks had finally wised up, and noticed how to keep their viewers coming back. But...NO. That didn't happen, and now NBC looks even worse than it's failing ratings had been.
      Guess the BIG, Non-Tax paying, Obama Lords of Phony Broadcasting will never learn. NBC blew it, and most of the world now KNOWS IT, and...they will remember come 2016....MAYBE.

August 13, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

Obama sent federal agents wearing masks into San Diego to terrorize law-abiding cancer patients and shut down all state sanctioned medical marijuana dispensaries and gave assault rifles to drug cartels.. Obama is a thug.

August 13, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • j14401s

All in all, the coverage stunk. Even the interruption for the sick comedy they are trying to push on the public as a promo was misguided. They lost us at that point.

August 13, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Chuck

Loved all of the GM commercials. I'm glad to see my tax dollars hard at work.

August 13, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Satch

NBC lost it's head. Lately they've been busy trying to figure out who Romney's running mate would be and when the word came it's full steam ahead with trying to trash Ryan and to hell with the Olympics.

August 13, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Chuck

Loved all of the GM commercials. Glad to see my hard earned tax dollars at work.

August 13, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Grumpster

Way to go there NBC....have Nincompoop Bob Costas irritate us with pre-ceremony nonsense and then cut away to some show that NONE of us care one about one iota...NBC is the train wreck of networks, except this is one train wreck I can look away from.

August 13, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mountainbiker

Another American Icon bites the dust. Where do they get these people that make these stupid decisions from? Oh yea American colleges. Good job NBC(no body cares).

August 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joe Shea

I was actually watching the Olympic Closing Ceremonies and amid all the music, I thought, "I wish I could see the Beatles, The Who and Amy Winhehouse." Well, shortly afterwards this weird thing called "Animal Practice" came on, and I couldn't figure out what it was c- it didn't occur to me it was a legitimate TV show, since it made no sense and was really vulgar. Now I know the truth!

August 13, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. orson2

I tried to watch; I stopped watching and turned to a movoe channel; they failed.

August 13, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mike

NBC is desparate. They think the reason that so many of their shows are failing is lack of advertising so they figured they'd try to reach as large of an audience as possible with these ads. The real reason NBC's shows fail is because they stink. No amount of advertising is going to coerce people into watching liberal spun sitcoms.

August 13, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Will

Thank you NBC for excellent Olympic coverage throughout! Enjoyed watching it!

August 13, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Margaret Beggs

The coverage of the closing ceremonies was awful. It was choppy and the commentators talked incessantly about nonsense. If they don't know what's going on, just keep quiet.

August 13, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |