August 15th, 2012

Police: Moviegoer accidentally shoots himself in the rear

A man carried a gun into a movie theater and accidentally shot himself with it, police in Sparks, Nevada, say.

According to an incident report, police received several calls Tuesday night reporting shots being fired inside the Sparks Century Theater downtown, where "The Bourne Legacy" was playing. Multiple police units and other emergency personnel rushed to the theater, but officers quickly determined that only one shot had been fired.

Witnesses told police the man's gun had gone off when he adjusted his position in his seat. They said he quickly got up, apologized to other patrons sitting near him and left the theater before police arrived.

Officers later found the man at the Veterans Affairs hospital in Reno with a gunshot wound to his buttocks. He told them his gun - for which he had a valid concealed-carry permit - fell out of his pocket and discharged when it hit the floor.

There was no panic in the auditorium, CNN affiliate KRNV reported. Police said only five people out of the 30 in the theater even heard the gun go off.

The 56-year-old Sparks resident, whom police did not name, cooperated with investigators, said police, who added he may be charged later with illegally discharging a firearm.

On July 20, a man opened fire inside a crowded movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, killing 12 and wounding 58 during a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises." Former graduate student James Holmes, 24, faces charges in that case.

In a suburb of Cleveland, another man was arrested on August 4 after allegedly carrying weapons into a screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" there. An attorney for Scott A. Smith said his client was carrying the weapons for self-protection.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Movies • Nevada • U.S.
  1. Randy Johnson

I'm sure he will get a gold medal from the NRA. He probably wasn't even thinking about the movie – just waiting for a 'bad guy' to show up. OMG Americans are getting too funny!

August 15, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. pkg

Million-to-one shot, doc; million-to-one...

August 15, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • JoeBlow

Plaxico? Is that you?

August 15, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

anony:
    How old are you? 11, maybe 12? The first thing that comes from your mouth. " guns need to be BANNED in America" Where do you come from, Soviet Russia, China? Are you perhaps a Communist? You will not be comming into my house Buster Brown, anytime soon, to ban anything! Got it?
    Your second comment: "Guns have NO purpose whatsoever!" I see you've never went hunting. You live a sheltered life, expect everything handed to you. Right?
    And your best comment: "Trust me". I like that one. Well? I don't trust you? As a matter of fact I woudn't trust you any farther I could throw a 10 pound rock. Get lost.

August 15, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • achepotle

I think guns need to be tightly controlled and ammunition needs to be restricted entirely.

August 15, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Whoa Jeff
      I believe this the first time i've "ever" seen you this fired. But I agree with you 100 %. People like this don't understand the value of protecting ones self and loved ones. If they want to be the easy target, I have some extra bullseyes I can send their way.

Now Three Times. Breathe in. Breathe out. Enhance the calm. Ohhhhmmmmm Ahhh, now isn't that better ?

August 15, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • That One

Jeff Frank: Talking about age group… can you hear yourself? Soviet, Russia, China, Communist; I’m actually surprised you did not call him a terrorist. If you think U.S.A citizens are not oppressed please think again. They just succeeded in making you believe you are not. Having an oppressed population armed to the teeth is a very dangerous situation.

August 15, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • independent texan

I hunt, but I don't want to be anywhere an fool like you who is armed. Where do you crazy people come from?

August 15, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banditb17

More likely, he A. modified the gun from manufacturers specs, B. Carried with the safety off, C. was carrying a gun that was not double action DAO, D. all of the above.

Deserves to lose his permit. Makes the rest of us look like damned fools.

August 15, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

Thank you-that's a well thought out and measured response. And if people can't see that that man is not only a danger to himself but to others, I am at a loss. He is lucky indeed that the gun shot HIM instead of a nearby audence member.

August 15, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beadlesaz

Well stated. Thank you.

August 15, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • ryan

This reminds me of why i rarely carry with a round chambered in crowded areas.

August 16, 2012 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. Tom

C'mon people ... there are many of us who carry every day responsibly. The only time I am NOT carrying is when I am sleeping. Those carrying a firearm in a POCKET without a holster, are not acting responsibly. Please don't do it. You are going to ruin it for the rest of us.

Now, on the flip side, it's a shame he wasn't in the batman movie. A good neck or even hand shot on the red haired loon could have saved many many lives, including those of children. Good guy would probably have been arrested for carrying in a "no gun zone". How stupid. BTW I would have risked my own life to stop the joker in a new york minute. Hear that soccer moms? While you are trying to keep people from carrying a firearm legally .... I will say it again, I would have risked my own life, possibly leaving my daughter without a father, to attempt save the lives of you and your children. Anyone who carries a gun legally would have done the same.

August 15, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beadlesaz

You actually think this guy would have had the skills, smarts, reaction time, BALLS, to have taken on the Aurora shooter? Yeah right.

August 15, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Robert Warner

Why was there a round in the chamber? This goes to show that not EVERY american is able to safely carry a weapon, regardless of whatever little c&c course he took.

August 15, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ymir

There is nothing wrong with carrying a round in the chamber. You just have to be responsible. This guy obviously was not.

August 15, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. rob0rah

Didnt have the safety on, was not carried properly, guy wasnt too smart........should have hit his head.

August 15, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ron

I call BS. Modern hand guns don't go off by just dropping them.

August 15, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert Warner

The article said nothing of dropping the gun. The gun went off while he was shifting in his seat. Who knows what weird way he was carrying it, or how the trigger got depressed. If he didn't have a round in the chamber, it wouldn't have happened. To walk around with a round in the chamber should be illegal.

August 15, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Robert Warner:
      From the article:
      "He told them his gun — for which he had a valid concealed-carry permit — fell out of his pocket and discharged when it hit the floor."

August 15, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Merlin

(From the song "Irving")...The 142nd fastest gun, in the west...

August 15, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. drew

Ha, and this is the armed citizen whose going to save us all from the bad guys.

August 15, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. job

the reason he didnt have a holster because he didnt have a permit to carry one...LOL HAHA!!:D...aaaaa get it.

August 15, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. them

in order to get a concealed carry you gotta take a class...and take a test
    what happend with this guy i wonder

August 15, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. pjrogers007

We needed about 12 people with guns in that movie theater in colorado...then we could have called about a hundred more ambulances. to care for the dead and wounded...some people do not have a brain...ah, guess that guy just shot himseldf in his!

August 15, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. geezzzz

Hey Jeff,
    After reading your comment I think it would be fair to say that it's downright scary to know you have guns.

August 15, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Hey geezzzz
      After reading your comment I think it would be fair to say that it's downright scary to know they are letting you post on these blogs.

August 15, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

I'm really sorry bobcat (iah), if I got carried away. But as I see it. That fella is just asking to be victimized by somebody. And that's just plain wrong.
    And I'd kinda agree with banditb17, except for the gun modifying. That man didn't have the brains to do anything other than to modify his buttocks. Probably walking loaded with the safety off. Yes revoke his permit and take his piece away. Total idiot.

August 15, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

No Jeff, you said it very well my friend. Just because some individual have a fear, they feel that everyone should fear the same way. It ain't going to happen with this fella.

August 15, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |