August 15th, 2012

Police: Moviegoer accidentally shoots himself in the rear

A man carried a gun into a movie theater and accidentally shot himself with it, police in Sparks, Nevada, say.

According to an incident report, police received several calls Tuesday night reporting shots being fired inside the Sparks Century Theater downtown, where "The Bourne Legacy" was playing. Multiple police units and other emergency personnel rushed to the theater, but officers quickly determined that only one shot had been fired.

Witnesses told police the man's gun had gone off when he adjusted his position in his seat. They said he quickly got up, apologized to other patrons sitting near him and left the theater before police arrived.

Officers later found the man at the Veterans Affairs hospital in Reno with a gunshot wound to his buttocks. He told them his gun - for which he had a valid concealed-carry permit - fell out of his pocket and discharged when it hit the floor.

There was no panic in the auditorium, CNN affiliate KRNV reported. Police said only five people out of the 30 in the theater even heard the gun go off.

The 56-year-old Sparks resident, whom police did not name, cooperated with investigators, said police, who added he may be charged later with illegally discharging a firearm.

On July 20, a man opened fire inside a crowded movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, killing 12 and wounding 58 during a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises." Former graduate student James Holmes, 24, faces charges in that case.

In a suburb of Cleveland, another man was arrested on August 4 after allegedly carrying weapons into a screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" there. An attorney for Scott A. Smith said his client was carrying the weapons for self-protection.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Movies • Nevada • U.S.
  1. pork&beans

Thank goodness a good citizen with a C&C permit was in the theater when this occurred.
    Wait, never mind....I shall now laugh!!!

August 16, 2012 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. Tex

America is imploding – obesity, disbelief in global warming and evolution, denial of issues related to lack of gun control. The civilized world is laughing at us, and rightly so. Wanna-be cowboys, and short men with small-man-syndrome and big trucks (the shorter or more insecure the guy, the bigger the truck) save yourself the time of saying, "Well just leave then if you don't like it." I can rope a cow, I'm a veteran, a WASP, the works – proud to be American, etc. – but I know dumb when I see it. This country is slipping, ... and this guy shooting himself in the butt is a manifestation of that trend – and symbolic of the road the country is going down.

August 16, 2012 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • naeco

Interesting theory there Tex. How do you classify women in big trucks?

August 16, 2012 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

They are not laughing. They are very afraid. We are powerful and are damaging THEIR world, and our guns are increasing their level of violence, too.

I think they hope the United States will actually default on its loans and end up going under - because then our debtor countries can divide up the states and change the laws to remove the threats that unbridled oil use and uncontrolled gun availability create.

August 16, 2012 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  3. sillyllama

I remember when the theater message before the movie was "Please be quiet so that others can enjoy the movie". I guess it needs to be modernized to "Please engage the safety on your loaded firearm so you don't accidentally murder someone when reaching for your gumdrops"

August 16, 2012 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Tim

Someone needs to learn the definition to "murder".

August 16, 2012 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

I just wanted to thank the four or five people that just sized me up with James Homes and George Zimmerman, based on picking apart one or two of my comments. Sized me up dressed fit to kill. Yes. I have been in an a depressive mood. But I don't have no ambition hurt, threaten, intimidate, anybody with any weapon. But I will defend my family and myself from others threatening to do physical harm.

August 16, 2012 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Honestly - if you post on a site like this and disagree with the "logic" of someone, you have to expect insults and threats. That's how these sites work: the calm, intelligent people might or might not agree with you, but the unhinged will take your comments personally.

August 16, 2012 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. McIver3

A lot of people have concealed permits but why carry the loaded weapon into a movie theater? Was he going to get into a shooting match with Jason Bourne? Shooting himself in the butt I hope he learned a lesson, because he could have shot an innocent child or movie-goer by mistake.

August 16, 2012 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  6. pbernasc

another smart gun owner ...

August 16, 2012 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. ryan

guns dont kill people, people kill people....except when the guns go off when people dont mean them too and then they kill people.

August 16, 2012 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
    • David Ortiz

Simple solution...if corporations are people I say guns are people too. They should get the death penalty with their accomplice the bullet and be sent off to...get melted?

August 16, 2012 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

I'll tell you what. I'd rather be in that theater unarmed, than knowing that the possibility exsists that I could unknowingly hurt or kill someone "by accident". Because really and truthfully the law enforcement should be aware and good enough, you shouldn't have to go to those measures to protect yourself.

August 16, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

I got a movie collection. One of the box sets I purchased from Blockbuster is the Bourne Trillogy set. Matt Damon is awesome.

August 16, 2012 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

Tim:
    They know the definition to murder already. It's more like what part of murder, don't they understand?

August 16, 2012 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  11. Tex

it depends on how big "they" are :-), but that's another subject. Point is – it's time America says "I'd like to solve the puzzle, Pat," regarding gun control...

August 16, 2012 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
    • mike

Showin your age and wisdom Tex. Love it. LOL

August 16, 2012 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

I gotta get to bed yall. Going into work early today. Good Night

August 16, 2012 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  13. OpenTrackRacer

What an idiot. Guns don't go off unless someone (or something) presses the trigger. The only excuse for this sort of thing us negligence. Guys like this give all CCW holders a bad name.

August 16, 2012 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  14. gregorypierce

Great. Now I have to worry about all the gun toting folks potentially shooting me by accident too. Hollywood, just bring the damn movies to us over the Internet already.

August 16, 2012 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  15. pasonik

Most modern guns have no contact with the firing pin and therefore shouldn't fire when dropped. And the firing pin is usually locked in place in order not to hit the bullet primer from centrifical force If you're going to carry you should at least your gun is safe if dropped because I think it happens to all of us. And to all you anti gunners out there, think one word. Syria. Would you like to be there right now unarmed?

August 16, 2012 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
    • OpinionsToGo

Was this person watching a movie in Syria?

August 16, 2012 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |