August 17th, 2012

Friday's live events

The two major parties will come together in the next few weeks to make their presidential tickets official.  CNN.com Live is your home for all the action from the Republican and Democratic National Conventions.

Today's programming highlights...

11:45 am ET - Ryan in Virginia - GOP vice presidential candidate Rep. Paul Ryan will spend his day in Virginia, starting with a speech at a high school in Glen Allen.  He'll then head to Springfield for another high school speech at 3:45 pm ET.

12:30 pm ET - White House briefing - The presidential campaign and the Syria crisis will likely top Jay Carney's agenda with the White House press corps.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Elections • On CNN.com today • Politics
  1. Bongo™

Happy Friday everyone.

August 17, 2012 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

Happy Friday, Bongo™.
    I want to remind all of my fellow Obama supporters that this is now a tighter presidential election, Republicans always vote, and to many Americans as old as I, Ayn Rand's name does not comprise two dirty words used only by selfish idiots.

August 17, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. Bongo™

Too cool ! Wish I had thought of that. : ) I'm just sitting here in the cubicle trying to hide. It'll be 5pm before Ed know it !

August 17, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat(in a hat) with a buzz, I like that twist on your name. I would like to hear how that turns out. I'd be a hard sell on that. Maybe with the famous Muffaletta's down your way, it might work. I miss those.. You could infuse the innards with gin and it might taste like a martini.

August 17, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Okay, we'll try that and call it a Muffaletini. We can market it to those who don't like to drink on an empty stomach. Two birds with one stone, so to speak.

August 17, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

We can make this a bobcat dazzle venture. Muffaletini, we should trademark it I'm one of those that dare not have a drink on an empty stomach.

August 17, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ dazzle

I'm trying to answer you, but CNN is not letting me post.

August 17, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah) I'm sure our Chrissy will return to us shortly. The day was good except Mom got stuck with the college book bill for close to 1,600.00. The other parent was late on fulfulling his responsibility so that's a little messy for them. At least the kid works hard and has a scholarship. You better watch out, she will be in New Orleans before she goes to Tampa for the RNC. I hope the humidity gave you a break today.

August 17, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ dazzle

1600, now that is a chunk a chunk of change. Is our girl excited about doing the RNC ? I am so proud for her. We had a nice thunderstorm come through that dropped the humidity drastically. But one that front pushed through, the winds turned back out of the south with sunshine. Need I say more.

August 17, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bongo™

Ed ? I meant we. Sorry aboot that.

August 17, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

TGIF everybody

A man left work one Friday afternoon. It was payday, so instead of going home, he stayed out the entire weekend partying with the boys and spending his entire paycheck.

When he finally appeared at home on Sunday night, he was confronted by his angry wife and was barraged for nearly two hours with a tirade befitting his actions. Finally, his wife stopped the nagging and said to him, "How would you like it if you didn't see me for two or three days?"

He replied, "That would be fine with me."

Monday went by and he didn't see his wife.

Tuesday and Wednesday came and went with the same results.

On Thursday, the swelling went down just enough where he could see her a little out of the corner of his left eye.

August 17, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

LOL@bobcat!
      Too funny.
      (Not that I espouce physical violence...)
      TGIF, bciah and Bongo.

August 17, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Good morning banasy

That kind of tickled me and thought I would share it. So how are things with you today ?

August 17, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Oh, I'm fine, Rawr.
      How are you?

August 17, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

I know, I know. Groan , Boo, Hiss, and what ever else you can throw at me.

My housecat went down to the local military recruiting depot to sign up for the service. He came back about two hours later and sadly explained that he couldn't enlist
    because he would have to be “de-furred”.

Ba Da Bhoomp Ching ?

August 17, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hiss would definitely apply here...

August 17, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

Good morning, lm.

August 17, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

Out of the mouths of babes

This little grandmother was surprised by her 7 year old grandson one morning. He had made her coffee. She drank what was the worst cup of coffee in her life.

When she got to the bottom, there were three of those little green army men, and she asked him why they were there.

Her grandson replied, "On television, they say, 'The best part of waking up is soldiers in your cup!'"

August 17, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

My younger kid, honest to God, used to think the same thing!!

August 17, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Eugene

A man regained conciousness after a long bout of overdrinking. Laying there on the floor, he noticed his wife walking down the hallway with her bags packed. "Dagnabit Mildred" he said to his loverly wife. "Yer not gonna leave me again are ya?" "Leave you?" inquired his wife, laughingly. "I've been gone 3 weeks. I'm just now getting home."

August 17, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

An oldie but one that still makes me laugh, @Eugene.

August 17, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Eugene

Three turtles packed their lunchbags and headed out for a daywalk through the woods. A couple of hours or so up the trail, they noticed that they had left their water jug behind, and so the youngest turlte was told to go fetch it. "OK, but yous best not be eating my sandwich" said the little snapper... "Promise?" "Don't be rediculous" said the eldest turlte."Now, go-on and git" he commanded.
    'Long about mid afternoon, the little turtle had yet to return. "I wonder where that little snapper could be? I'm tired of waiting on him. Let's eat" said the old turtle. And so the two of them ate their lunches. As the sun began to set, the little turtle had yet to return. The two older turtles (stomachs growling for dinner) decided to give-up waiting and opened-up the third lunchbag. Just then, the little snapper jumped-out from behind an old tree and exclaimed "I KNEW you guys were gonna eat my lunch!"

August 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

*Facepalm*, Lol...

August 17, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. dazzle ©

Loving the levity on Friday folks just keep it coming. How is it that Corzine is able to escape prosecution when 1 billion customer dollars go missing? It appears that a few underlings will be thrown under the bus freeing him up to start a new hedge fund.

August 17, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Eugene

One day, this little girl looking out the picture window noticed her two doggies acting kind of strange. "Daddy! Daddy!" she exclaimed. "What are my doggies doing?". Her father, slightly embarrassed and at a loss for words hemmed and hawwed for minute trying to think of how to explain. "Well, Suzy. Ya see, Rover hurt his paw and Muffet is giving him a ride to the hospital."
    "Gee whiz, Daddy. That's just like real life. Try to help someone out and end-up getting screwed."

August 17, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Lmao! Yep.
      It's true.

August 17, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bobcat (in a hat)©

A woman awakes during the night to find that her husband was not in their bed.

She puts on her robe and goes downstairs to look for him. She finds him sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee in front him. He appears deep in thought, just staring at the wall. She watches as he wipes a tear from his eye and takes a sip of coffee.

"What's the matter, dear?" she whispers as she steps into the room. "Why are you down here at this time of night?"

The husband looks up, "Do you remember 20 years ago when we were dating, and
    you were only 17?" he asks solemnly.

The wife is touched thinking her husband is so caring and sensitive. "Yes, I do," she replies.

The husband pauses. The words are not coming easily. "Do you remember when
    you father caught us in the back seat of my car?"

"Yes, I remember," says the wife, lowering herself into a chair beside him.

The husband continues..."Do you remember when he shoved a shotgun in my face and said, "Either you marry my daughter, or I will send you to jail for 20 years".
    "I remember that too", she replies softly.

He wipes another tear from his cheek and says... "I would have gotten out today!"

August 17, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bobcat (in a hat)©

A mild-mannered man was tired of being bossed around by his wife so he went to a psychiatrist.

The psychiatrist said he needed to build his self-esteem, and so gave him a book on assertiveness, which he read on the way home.

He had finished the book by the time he reached his house.

The man stormed into the house and walked up to his wife.

Pointing a finger in her face, he said, "From now on, I want you to know that I am the man of this house, and my word is law! I want you to prepare me a gourmet meal tonight, and when I'm finished eating my meal, I expect a sumptuous dessert afterward. Then, after dinner, you're going to draw me my bath so I can relax. And when I'm finished with my bath, guess who's going to dress me and comb my hair?"

"The funeral director," said his wife.

August 17, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Eugene

LMAO. good one @bobcat. Good ones, actually. Well said and told Sir.

August 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Thank you Eugene. It's nice to see a second source here. Let's see what else you got.

August 17, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |