August 17th, 2012

Friday's live events

The two major parties will come together in the next few weeks to make their presidential tickets official.  CNN.com Live is your home for all the action from the Republican and Democratic National Conventions.

Today's programming highlights...

11:45 am ET - Ryan in Virginia - GOP vice presidential candidate Rep. Paul Ryan will spend his day in Virginia, starting with a speech at a high school in Glen Allen.  He'll then head to Springfield for another high school speech at 3:45 pm ET.

12:30 pm ET - White House briefing - The presidential campaign and the Syria crisis will likely top Jay Carney's agenda with the White House press corps.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Elections • On CNN.com today • Politics
  1. Eugene

Tough crowd. Reality bites, I suppose.
    Great! responses to jokes, though. We should make each day joke day, news on Sunday.
    Check that. Sunday after noon. 🙂

August 17, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tom Pity and the Ameribreakers

It's allright if jews love me
    It's ALL right if jews don't
    I'm not afraid of jews
    Running of your bank dues
    I get the feeling they won't
    Break US down, break US down much longer.

August 17, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. saywhat

Hey all you good friends its certainly well nigh impossible to drown in the sorrows inflicting this world of ours with you around.

August 17, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. saywhat

More power to your kind.

August 17, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Pitiful Kind?

The "kind" that borrow from China to donate to Israel's illegal nuclear arsenal fund? Or my kind. The kind who knows Rome turned-on Israel just as the US is, arming Israel's sworn enemies to the teethe.

August 17, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

lmao @ little mister, you DO realize what time it is doncha? Course im sure its morning somewhere. Good evening to you though! And i sincerely hope that wasnt your last joke today bobcat. And @ saywhat, aint it great havin all these friends?

August 17, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ chrissy

I am so sorry to inform of the sad events that have occured. I really don't know how to say it, so I'll just say it. Bobcat has no jokes tonite. I know it seems like the end of the world, but let me assure you, I will be back with some puuuurfectly good humor in the AM. Until then, please try to think happy thoughts. This will get you through the night.

August 17, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

And todays Quirky News: A New York panini shop is now serving sandwiches infused with scotch or gin. Giving an all new meaning to the term *sloppy joe!*

August 17, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@chrissy, are you serious on that? I would take a pass on a sandwich infused with hard stuff. With so many restaurants in trouble in this economic climate, some are jumping the shark, and doing things like that. New York delis should stick to what they do best, real deli stuff.

August 17, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

I've become quite proficient at Panini making. I think I'll try one with an infusion of Crown. I'll call it the bocat (in a hat with a buzz)

August 17, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ dazzle

Looks like chrissy is hiding on us again. So how's trix ?

August 17, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ dazzle

CNN is driving me crazy. They don't show me posting and I end up doing it twice. So let me try again. What I said was--
    1600, wow now that is a chunck a chunk of change. Is our young lady excited about her gig at the RNC. I am so proud for her.

August 17, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat(in a hat) I know what you mean about the posts and then the ones that just disappear into thin air. Our young lady is very excited about her gig and I am thrilled that she has this opportunity. I remember when college books were just that but now it is so much more than texts. She has a stop over in New Orleans to visit her grandmother and to get some public records issues straightened out in the city of her birth. Cafe du Monde is a must stop for her too. She lived in Tampa when she was little and there is still family and friends there too. Thanks for asking.

August 17, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Well, I am truly happy for her. It's good that she will have family in Tampa also. It makes for a whole lot better trip. The Cafe du Monde is a must stop for anyone in New Orleans. Their beignets are-–no words can truly describe them.

August 17, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

I see too that our comments have been scattered everywhere.

August 17, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

lmao @ dazzle and bobcat, i have no idea if its true. Its a quirkey news thing i get on my phone daily. Some of them have been true tho so who knows. And bobcat, seriously youve run out of jokes? Say it isnt so! The one constant in my life 🙁

August 17, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

Good night @bobcat, see you tomorrow. Who knows where this comment will land. There is another funny contender posting as Pass the Popcorn. You set the bar high for comedy.

August 18, 2012 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ dazzle

Good night too you. In closing, I just want to know if you realized who the Eugene was earlier ? I'm sure you do. He's reverted back to his multi named self now. Well anyway, I'll talk to you tomorrow.

August 18, 2012 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

Awww my lil cutie patootie has nips! How precious is that? Pssst me too, lil guy. In fact im pretty sure we all do, but dont tell. lmfao!

August 17, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. dazzle ©

@little mister, quoting a famous French philosopher Rene DesCartes. On the other matter, all living creatures do. Your Robert De Niro was deleted and I was looking like I was talking to myself. You do make me laugh too.

August 17, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

lmao yup he does dazzle, always! And youre right about the inaccuracy of the unemployment percentages.

August 17, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@chrissy, I know, it is really bad out there for those that are out of work. I'm loving the concoction that bobcat dreamed up but I'm not a Crown drinker but hey many people are.

August 17, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. B. Noreen

A federal report last week was celebrated by some living in Colorado when it revealed that Colorado's obesity rate is the lowest in the nation.
    Obesity rates increased in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. from 2010 to 2011, according to the Centers for disease Control. 8 of the top-ten worst states are in the South, with the West having the lowest rate. The Western state with the highest obesity rate is Alaska, with only 29.9% of that states population being obese.
    Some fear this nationwide trend may one day be a problem for the children of our children. Hopefully, our children's children will not be born obese like US..

August 17, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Colorado is known for it's vast out-door activity so there's no surprise there for me. Moreover, People go to places such as Colorado and Utah specifically for there array of activity in the great out doors.

August 17, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. US Mail Chicago

Fred Taylor, a veteran US postal service worker, admitted to stealing 30,000 letters addressed to charities. His theft of some 275,000 dollars was spread-out over a one year period. We now have a new way of "going postal".
    Taylor faces 5 years in prison, and is to be sentenced Nov. 19.
    Do not trust the US MAIL with important items. ty

August 17, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

The US MAIL service is a dinosaur gasping on it's last breath.

August 17, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Police shooting

JOHANNESBERG, S.AFRICA. Police shot and killed 18 workers at a South African platinum mine on Thursday, making the total dead for the week 28. Ten others had been killed in last weeks violence at the mine involving workers from competing worker's union gangs armed with machetes, knives, and spears.
    Relax. It's not in Syria.

August 17, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |