Ahead of the curve: The next 7 days
August 19th, 2012

Ahead of the curve: The next 7 days

Here is a look at some of the stories that CNN plans to follow this week:

Mars rover on the move

The Mars rover Curiosity could go for its first, short test drive this week, roughly two weeks after landing.

The mobile science lab touched down on Mars early on August 6 and has been beaming back images of the surface of Gale Crater ever since. But it hasn't yet moved from its landing site. Controllers needed to execute a planned upgrade of its control software and make sure its systems operate properly.

Curiosity is on a two-year mission to determine whether Mars ever had an environment capable of supporting life.

Holiday travel forecast

AAA will release its forecast for travel over the upcoming Labor Day holiday on Tuesday.

The organization will look at how many people are planning Labor Day trips and what effect the sluggish economy will have on their travel plans. Numbers on road as well as air travel are expected.

One of the key concerns of travelers for the upcoming holiday weekend may be gas prices.

Last Sunday, the Lundburg Survey reported that the average price of a gallon of gas had jumped 18 cents over the previous two weeks.

The national average price was $3.69. Chicago had the highest price at $4.23 a gallon. Tucson had the lowest at $3.18.

Basketball stars support Obama

Some of the NBA's biggest stars, including Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony and Rajon Rondo, will be on hand for a basketball camp in New York City on Wednesday to benefit President Barack Obama's re-election campaign.

A shoot-around skills session with the players for one person goes for $2,000, while an autograph session with them will cost $100, according to the campaign's website.

Participants will also get to play in a game coached by the players, the website says.

Among other players, the camp also features women's stars Dawn Staley and Sheryl Swoopes and former NBA greats Patrick Ewing and Alonzo Mourning.

Verdict expected in Norway massacre

A man who admits killing 77 people in a shooting and bombing spree in Norway last year is expected to hear a verdict in the case on Friday, with questions about his sanity being a key factor.

According to authorities, Anders Behring Breivik set off a fertilizer bomb outside the prime minister's office on July 22, 2011, killing eight people. He then took a ferry to Utoya Island, the site of a Labour Party youth camp, where more than 700 young adults were meeting. Authorities say he roamed the island shooting at campers, killing 69 people before members of an elite Norwegian police unit took him into custody

Breivik was put on trial this year. Prosecutors have asked that Breivik be acquitted on the grounds of insanity, in which case he would be held in a secure mental health unit. If he is fully acquitted on the grounds of "necessity," as urged by his defense, he could go free. If he is ruled sane and found guilty of some or all the charges, he would be sentenced to up to 21 years in prison.

Last week, an independent commission issued a report saying that security services could have done more to prevent the attack.

Air Guitar World Championships

Music will be in the air if not in any instruments in Oulu, Finland, on Friday for the finals of the Air Guitar World Championships.

Organizers call it the grand finale of the Air Guitar World Tour.

According to the U.S. Air Guitar Championships, the American representative will be Matt Burns, known as "AIRISTOTLE," who took the U.S. crown during a competition in Denver in July. He'll be matched up against championship air guitarists from two dozen other countries in Finland, according to the organization's website.

What the organization terms "dark horses" or wild cards, get a chance for a spot in the finals during a qualifying round on Thursday.

What does the winner get? A real guitar, of course.

1. dazzle ©

Hi Raven, I saw you waving at me, wave right back to you from the "old hag" in California

August 19, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Protector of Truth, did you just post as Misty on the China thread?
    I saw the exact same thing...
    Wow.

August 19, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ chrissy, dazzle, banasy and raven

Hello all my friends
    @ chrissy
    My weekend started off pretty good, but things got kind of testy later on. I wondered where you were at yesterday, but then I was glad you didn't come on here to get tied up in that mess.

@ banasy
    I'm glad your camping trip went well. Air guitaring and all. And I also want to thank you for flapping your arms. It seems like it worked. Our temps were about 12 degrees lower today.

@ dazzle
    I'm glad you made it to So. Cal. alright. If you feel a shake in the ground, it may just some of those IFO's breaking the sound barrier.

@ raven
    Hello to you stranger. You better watch you might end up getting your name put on that updated hag list.

August 19, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Why, you're certainly welcome, bobcat.
      Glad it helped.

August 19, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

Yup we sure are MARY posting as hope! We steal other peoples ideas and call em our own. FRAUDS!

August 19, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. raven

Aw...that was kinda sad....should change your name to Hopeless....

August 19, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Ah, premptive insults.
    How utterly nice.

@Jeff Frank:
    Yep.
    In the spring, it goes up because of the switchover to summer blend;
    In the fall?
    Whatever; it never fails.
    When there's a holiday, there's an increase.
    Something we have to live with.

August 19, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. raven

Oh my. The LIST!! LMAO!!! Well, I'm in good company, anyway.
    Oh man.....I'm still laughing....list....cracks me up.....

August 19, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. fb me

Ballers raising money for Obama...how about raising money for people/causes who really need it?

August 19, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. raven

Hi bobcat!! I hope you're well? We adopted ( not by choice) a dog last week. My cat hates me now.You seem to know a lot about cats:How do I get back in her good graces?

August 19, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ raven

Unfortunately since you brought an outsider into your home, especially a different species, your cat will be walking around with a bad hair day and hump back for awhile. Your cat will have a tude for awhile also, but it'll come back around. Jusr be careful if the cat is in your lap when the dog enters the room. I got some new stripes on my legs and was able to drain fluid easier due to multiple holes because of that.

August 19, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Rascal Rabble

"I've Gotta Be Me"

Whether I'm right or whether I'm wrong
    Whether I find a place in this world or never belong
    I gotta be me, I've gotta be me
    What else can I be but what I am
    I want to live, not merely survive
    And I won't give up this dream
    Of life that keeps me alive
    I gotta be me, I gotta be me
    The dream that I see makes me what I am
    That far-away prize, a world of success
    Is waiting for me if I heed the call
    I won't settle down, won't settle for less
    As long as there's a chance that I can have it all
    I'll go it alone, that's how it must be
    I can't be right for somebody else
    If I'm not right for me
    I gotta be free, I've gotta be free
    Daring to try, to do it or die
    I've gotta be me
    I'll go it alone, that's how it must be
    I can't be right for somebody else
    If I'm not right for me
    I gotta be free, I just gotta be free
    Daring to try, to do it or die
    I gotta be me

August 19, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tony

In Norway a man is caught red handed and confesses to murdering 77 people (mostly children) and the maximum sentence is 21 years? And that's if they don't release him, which they say they might. How do they sleep at night with a "justice" system like that? What a disgusting disgrace.

August 19, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

Roflmao @ Rascal, thank you. You just made my day cuz i surely needed that laugh. And @ bobcat, Rascal is l00% correct! 😉

August 19, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rascal Rabble

can't we justall gettah along???

August 19, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

@ Tony, boggles the mind dont it? And in Russia you can get 7 years for HOOLIGANISM! Sheesh!

August 19, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ Rascal Rabble

Wow you sure do have a nice singing voice. You sound just like old blue eyes.

August 19, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |