August 20th, 2012

Official: British director Tony Scott dead after jumping from California bridge

British director Tony Scott, best known for the films "Top Gun" and "Beverly Hills Cop II," died from injuries sustained Sunday when he jumped from the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro, an official with the Los Angeles County Corner's Office told CNN.

The death of the 68-year-old Scott is being treated as a suicide, said Lt. Joe Bale of the coroner's office.

"There's nothing to indicate it is anything else at this time," he said.

Scott jumped from the bridge about 12:30 p.m. Sunday, Bale said.

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S. • World
  1. Jay jay

prob been dealing with it his whole life. They seldom ask for help. That's weakness and another form of sadness, so they say...

August 20, 2012 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jay jay

I often wonder what the rate of suicide is in the USA compared to a country like say north korea. My question is whether a person who has every resource desired vs. an oppressed person in horrible conditions is more apt to do such things? Or perhaps is it just that things happens regardless of economic oportunities or hardships? I think it's an interesting question...

August 20, 2012 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. Zippy

Wow!!! Now rich guys are killing themselves?? The world must be ending?? Or foul play

August 20, 2012 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

It's usually the rich guys. Look back to the great depression. Rich people were killing themselves in such large numbers you could compare them to lemmings. Any guesses as to why this man jumped? I can tell you it's more than likely that he's a has been. Once these rich people have a tastr of success , fame and fortune it literally drives them to suicide to have to come back to earth and join all the people who fall in the never was category.

August 20, 2012 at 3:59 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hi, Hamsta-
      Unless he left a note, the reasons he did what he did are his own, and died along with him, leaving those who he left behind wondering "why??".

August 20, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Um Banasy, no matter how much you want to believe what Obama says about the private sector being just fine and how I didn't build that, he's lieing. We are currently in a depression just as bad as the great depression and yes I did build that, just ask the companies I work for. Government has only made it more difficult to build a business. Regulate this and regulate that, tax this and charge a fee for that. Fact: the nine most prosperous states pay almost no taxes, the nine most bankrupt states pay higher than normal taxes. Your president has spent more than the last six presidents by name and has absolutely nothing to show for it. Welfare has tripled under his watch, and so has disability fraud. His answer is tax the rich, who already pay 80% of the taxes to begin with. 13% of 2,000,000 is more than the 30% that I pay out of 40,000. But he's not satisfied with that, did you pay attention to last years taxes? You paid more last year than you did in 30 years. 4 more years of this charlatain and you can expect more suicides.

August 20, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sinfully Yours

Looks like he took a Ride into the Danger Zone!

August 20, 2012 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. Bongo™

Wish he wouldn't have done that, if he did. We have the rest of our lives to be dead. Let's live as long as we can.

August 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. fernace

He was probably severly depressed! Depression kills! It has nothing to do w/socio economic groups & everything to do w/what happens in a persons mind! Not all suicide victims leave notes & unless theres any proof of foul play, this will be treated as a plain & simple suicide! A few wks ago a young footballer shot himself infront of his highschool & last mo. an older footballer shot himself w/a shotgun! Men in particular seem prone to not asking for help w/medical issues & many don't believe in mental issues! They think they can fix it themselves & just "snap out of it"! This is very sad & I feel for his family! For their sake I hope they learn why he decided to do this!!

August 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

You might want to check your facts again. A bad economy and a failing business will more than make someone depressed, it can drive them to suicide. Pick up a history book and read up on the great depression, you have a lot to learn.

August 20, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. fernace

I agree w/you Bongo, I plan to live to 120! That's the plan & am now working on staying healthy, mind, body & spirit! I love the idea of being a "gammal gumma" (swedish endearment for old lady), sitting in my rocking chair talking about the "good ol' days"! Just like some of the elderly ladies I've had the priveledge to know! They were virtual fountains of info & it was exciting to find out how people lived at the turn of last century! Wish me luck!!

August 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. saywhat

Sad. What drove him to this ultimate act of giving up ? I do hope though for the sake of his family that media doesn't dwell on this unnecessarily.

August 20, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jay jay

suicides do not go to hell. God let's them choose whatever animal they would like to be until they have served their time on earth and then they are judged. I'm not a whacko either. My friend knows such things...

August 20, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Zippy

So being dead is better than being a has been???I guess the need for attention is a deadly disease

August 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. BOMBO ©

Does Tom Cruise still insist there is no such thing as mental illness.

August 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Greg

@talkic, why do you assume he needed help? If you had a terminal deteriorating condition, you're in personal pain and a distress upon others until the inevitable arrives. He may have preferred to go out lucid and content instead of debilatated and withered. I especially get a kick out of you abortionists who are so comfortable making life and death decisions for the weak and innocent but deprive an adult this decision.

He was a great artistic talent, and we're poorer without him, but if he determined he had enough of this world then let him have his decision and the consequences. Thank you, Mr. Scott, for your artistic contributions. Give my best to Earnest Hemingway if you see him.

August 20, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

Funny other networks reported this early today and said there was a suicide note found in his car.

August 20, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

lmao @ pass the popcorn, aint he though?

August 20, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Murdock Supreme

I'd do the same thing if I had made Top Gun.

August 20, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |