Comments: 'Thank you Apple for confirming that you invented the rectangle'
A shop manager in South Korea shows Samsung Electronics' Galaxy S mobile phone, right, and Apple's iPhone 3G.
August 24th, 2012

Comments: 'Thank you Apple for confirming that you invented the rectangle'

Editor's note: We're listening to you. Every day, we spot thought-provoking comments from readers. Here's some comments we noticed today.

Apple and Samsung have been involved in a long battle over the design of Samsung devices that Apple says were "ripped off" from iPads and iPhones. Samsung also countersued Apple for infringing on some of its patents. After a federal jury in California recommended Friday that Apple be awarded more than $1 billion in damages, readers are talking about patents and the ways people define product designs.

Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

Many readers were outraged, saying Apple's suit appeared malicious.

Jerad Howell: "What a ridiculous verdict. There are only so many ways you can design a touchscreen device. Apparently, this jury believes that Apple should be allowed to have a monopoly on touchscreen tablets and phones."

ogive17: "Apple's new motto 'litigate, not innovate.' Yes, I wanted Apple to lose."

Stnley Kubrick: "This sucks. Sanity once again defeated."

But some said there were some obvious design similarities.

TheH0LYT0AST: "For the life of me I don't understand how anyone can look at the picture at the top of this article and say, 'What? I don't see anything wrong with that.' "

Clint4CNN: "GOOD! Samsung is a thief, and they got caught!"

Nicholas Bloom: "Like Apple needs the money. They charge an arm and a leg for their products. Fair is fair, though."

Some made jabs at the U.S. patenting system.

kalatu: "Thank you Apple for confirming that you invented the 'rectangle.' "

justanother1: "No, because they get patents like 'rounded edges' and 'making a line on a touch screen' and then use their million dollar lawyers to sue anybody that dares to compete against them."

Ribbons21: "It seems like Apple has been allowed to patent way way too many things. I use Apple products (laptop and iPad), but my phone is a Samsung galaxy nexus. Trying to sue competitors out of business because the patent office allowed patents like slide to unlock is just ridiculous in my opinion."

Others said they believe Apple's products were copied unfairly.

Bull31: "I agree. Samsung obviously ripped off Apple's technology."

wave9x: "Awesome win for innovation, terrible loss for copycats. Buh bye Samsung – try to come up with your own ideas. Doubt anything worthwhile will come of that!"

alientech: "Before the iPhone, smart phones had keyboards and looked like the Blackberry. After the iPhone, smart phones have touchscreens and look like the iPhone. Apple's idea was obviously worth copying."

Readers debated what was going on with Apple.

Tom Thompson: "This is why I dislike Apple products so much.Their hardware has always been cutting edge and pretty cool but this proprietary take-no-prisoners business model is the same reason they fell from grace in the '90s. Not only do they not play nicely with others, their devices don't either. Compatibility across platforms is an essential requirement for a piece of technology to proliferate. Once the Kool-Aid and novelty wears off people will wake up and realize it's not worth paying twice as much for a device and Apple will be left in the dust once again!"

Daktaklakpak: "No, the reason they fell from grace in the '90s was because of being continually ramrodded my Microsoft, and having all their software innovations blatantly ripped off by the competition. This is the first time in history that a major decision like this has gone Apple's way. It probably does have to do with them suddenly being the big kid on the block, but they deserved some vindication all along."

Does it matter to the end user?

809do.com: "This situation is getting annoying! It's like a bunch of male teenagers comparing their rod sizes! In the end, these legal battles will hurt the evolution of software and hardware technologies big time ..."

TheH0LYT0AST: "How is copying = evolving?"

What do you think? Do you take one side or another? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Business • Comments • Technology • U.S.
  1. dazzle ©

Hmmm, perhaps this is why my mobile service provider has been making annoying calls and texts telling me that I qualify for a free upgrade to Samsung Galaxy. I'll stick with Apple, thanks.

August 24, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

There you are. How the heck you doing tonight ?

August 24, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

I guess I'm a little confused by this. Are they saying that samsung should be sued because they copied the rectangular shape of apples I-pad ?

August 24, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kyle

You don't see Sony's Xperia or Nokia's Lumia copying Apple's design so slavishly

August 24, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

I'll stick to my Blackberry.
    I dislike touch svreens, and I don't use the apps anyhow...

August 24, 2012 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

Hellooooooo banasy

What's up ? Is everybody hiding tonite ?

August 24, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Helllllllloooooo, Rawr.
      Everyone is busy with the NY thread; I can't read the comments, so....
      My grandaughter just left a bit ago, so I'm free for a bit...

August 24, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Well good. I'm glad to have the company of my friends here.

August 24, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dazzle ©

Is that our real @bobcat(iah)?

August 24, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

It is me in all my furry glory. How have you been ? Haven't talked to you in a few days.

August 24, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

Good to see you my purrfectly good friend. It has been awhile. How's Issac? I worry you know.

August 24, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

As a matter of fact, the last time we talked is when you came back from "the beach".

August 24, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Issac has got me a little concerned. They've got us in the cone, but we'll have a better idea by Sunday. It depends on what thos low and high pressure systems do. But whatcha going to do ? Has it dried out in your area yet ?

August 24, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dazzle ©

@banasy, good to see you my friend.

August 24, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Back atcha, the divine Miss D!

Bciah:
      Furry glory?
      Oh my.

August 24, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

Oh yeah, it was good and now back with the college kids.

August 24, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |

@ banasy

It beats being that skinned cat that people talk about the number of ways to do it.

August 24, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

I know how those highs and lows are. We dried up here and it is actually quite nice, no humidity. Well our collective child leaves for New Orleans tomorrow. Then on to Tampa on Monday. So Mama is a bit concerned.

August 24, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Yeah when Issac first rearing it's head, I was quite concerned knowing our young lady was going to be in the area. Well, let me rephrase that. I'm still concerned because you never know what those devils are going to do. Has she ever been in one of these storms ?

August 24, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

I'll take you in all your furry glory, then...and I always wondered why people would *want* to skin a cat, let alone come up with more than one way...yuck!

August 24, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

This a true yuck story. I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but if you were to lay a skinned rabbit and cat down together without their feet, you can't tell them apart. People down here were selling cats to meat markets down here for rabbits. But thankfully, somehow the word got out and now they have to leave the feet on. Pretty digusting huh ?

August 24, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah) she has been through some minor ones when we lived in Tampa. She was so young she doesn't remember having to evacuate. I know how these storms work, just keep you and yours safe down there.

August 24, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Well I know she's a strong person, so she'll know how to handle things. Doesn't keep us from worrying though.

August 25, 2012 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

That's a pretty disturbing story, Rawr, but they are pretty similar in bone structure, so I can see it...although I can't imagine *why*...never had rabbit, never will.

August 25, 2012 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

Hello guys! Just thought i would update you, superman is on his way home. 🙂

August 25, 2012 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Minus the yellow troll doll right ?

August 25, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

And by the looks of the weather i just watched bobcat, theres no avoiding Issac in your neck of the woods. 😦

August 25, 2012 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Yeah I think it could be a rough one chrissy. But hey, we've been through this drill countless times. It's going to be what it's going to be.

August 25, 2012 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

Roflmmfao! Definitely minus the yellow troll. Its gonna take some major global warming to free up that bad dog! And it appears as if their little *ahem* prayer over it has worked a little bit eh? Lmao.

August 25, 2012 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Good for Kenney!
    I am glad he made it safe, even if yellowtroll didn't.

And now, I'm off to bed...
    Be safe Rawr, and safe passage to out "daughter" also...
    Batten down those hatches, bciah, I would hate to see the "father" of my "daughter" washed away with his lovely missus...
    (Boy, are people going to be confused when they read *this*!)

Good night, dazzle, Rawr, and chrissy.

Carry on! 😉

August 25, 2012 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Never fear banasy. We learned to the backstroke a lon time ago. Good night to you dear lady. I'll talk to you tomorrow.

August 25, 2012 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

Gn @ banasy, im not far behind myself. Lol gotta love the SBSPs marathon days, and i have another one tomorrow. And im sure youre a pro by now bobcat, just like me and the blizzards we get.

August 25, 2012 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. bobcat (in a hat)©

Well dazzle and chrissy, I guess I'm going to call it a night too. I'm sure glad you showed up so we could talk for a bit. You have a good nite and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

August 25, 2012 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

Yea me too, its been a long week for me. Take care bobcat, i will try to pop on here tomorrow. Good night dazzle, where ever you are and raven too, if she checks in.

August 25, 2012 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |