Comments: 'Thank you Apple for confirming that you invented the rectangle'
A shop manager in South Korea shows Samsung Electronics' Galaxy S mobile phone, right, and Apple's iPhone 3G.
August 24th, 2012

Comments: 'Thank you Apple for confirming that you invented the rectangle'

Editor's note: We're listening to you. Every day, we spot thought-provoking comments from readers. Here's some comments we noticed today.

Apple and Samsung have been involved in a long battle over the design of Samsung devices that Apple says were "ripped off" from iPads and iPhones. Samsung also countersued Apple for infringing on some of its patents. After a federal jury in California recommended Friday that Apple be awarded more than $1 billion in damages, readers are talking about patents and the ways people define product designs.

Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

Many readers were outraged, saying Apple's suit appeared malicious.

Jerad Howell: "What a ridiculous verdict. There are only so many ways you can design a touchscreen device. Apparently, this jury believes that Apple should be allowed to have a monopoly on touchscreen tablets and phones."

ogive17: "Apple's new motto 'litigate, not innovate.' Yes, I wanted Apple to lose."

Stnley Kubrick: "This sucks. Sanity once again defeated."

But some said there were some obvious design similarities.

TheH0LYT0AST: "For the life of me I don't understand how anyone can look at the picture at the top of this article and say, 'What? I don't see anything wrong with that.' "

Clint4CNN: "GOOD! Samsung is a thief, and they got caught!"

Nicholas Bloom: "Like Apple needs the money. They charge an arm and a leg for their products. Fair is fair, though."

Some made jabs at the U.S. patenting system.

kalatu: "Thank you Apple for confirming that you invented the 'rectangle.' "

justanother1: "No, because they get patents like 'rounded edges' and 'making a line on a touch screen' and then use their million dollar lawyers to sue anybody that dares to compete against them."

Ribbons21: "It seems like Apple has been allowed to patent way way too many things. I use Apple products (laptop and iPad), but my phone is a Samsung galaxy nexus. Trying to sue competitors out of business because the patent office allowed patents like slide to unlock is just ridiculous in my opinion."

Others said they believe Apple's products were copied unfairly.

Bull31: "I agree. Samsung obviously ripped off Apple's technology."

wave9x: "Awesome win for innovation, terrible loss for copycats. Buh bye Samsung – try to come up with your own ideas. Doubt anything worthwhile will come of that!"

alientech: "Before the iPhone, smart phones had keyboards and looked like the Blackberry. After the iPhone, smart phones have touchscreens and look like the iPhone. Apple's idea was obviously worth copying."

Readers debated what was going on with Apple.

Tom Thompson: "This is why I dislike Apple products so much.Their hardware has always been cutting edge and pretty cool but this proprietary take-no-prisoners business model is the same reason they fell from grace in the '90s. Not only do they not play nicely with others, their devices don't either. Compatibility across platforms is an essential requirement for a piece of technology to proliferate. Once the Kool-Aid and novelty wears off people will wake up and realize it's not worth paying twice as much for a device and Apple will be left in the dust once again!"

Daktaklakpak: "No, the reason they fell from grace in the '90s was because of being continually ramrodded my Microsoft, and having all their software innovations blatantly ripped off by the competition. This is the first time in history that a major decision like this has gone Apple's way. It probably does have to do with them suddenly being the big kid on the block, but they deserved some vindication all along."

Does it matter to the end user?

809do.com: "This situation is getting annoying! It's like a bunch of male teenagers comparing their rod sizes! In the end, these legal battles will hurt the evolution of software and hardware technologies big time ..."

TheH0LYT0AST: "How is copying = evolving?"

What do you think? Do you take one side or another? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Business • Comments • Technology • U.S.
  1. bobcat (in a hat)©

I'll probably catch hell for this one

There was a Baptist preacher who was looking for the perfect dog. After weeks of searching he thought he finally found the dog for him. He could do Bible tricks. So when the preacher invited people over he was showing off his dog and the tricks he could do. "Look, he can search for any verse in the Bible." And so the dog did as he was commanded. The guests asked, "Can the dog do any normal tricks?" The preacher replied, "I don't know I've never tried. Sit!" The dog sat obediently. The preacher began to walk and the dog followed and he said "Heel!" So the dog hopped up on two legs and put one paw on his forehead. The preacher exclaimed, "Oh no He's gotta go back, he's pentecostal!"

August 25, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Oh, you won't catch that from me...I thought it was funny as all get out!

August 25, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fister Rogers

Bora Roberts, it's spelled e n d e a v o r s. Your books are boring too.

August 25, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

And I thought it *was* you; sounds just like you.
    Having poster's regret at your admission of being an alkie?

August 25, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dazzle ©

Now look here Kenny, I could never take a piece out of your playbook. How would you know anything about the way my mind works? What's your deal with my doctoral degree which hasn't changed me one bit.

August 25, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jason

Some commentators think Apple will now go after other Android based companies hence the need for difference in the market place for companies to protect themselves. Its interesting to note that Blackberry, who have had a difficult time recently, do not use Android and as such may well be uniquely placed to weather this tactic Apple is adopting. It does seem bizarre that Apple have gone for the jugular in Samsung's case as they supply Apple with so many components!

August 25, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kenney

Superman here !!!!!! Hey everyone good day here sitting on the beach here and drinking some brews with the homies,,,,,javier marcos and julian all say hello !!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,and yes the little prayer must of worked ha ? And as far as the yellwo troll im very sure that he is very content up there and is cooling off we fly out sometime tonight maybe tommorrow we have an open flight so really no hurry sur do miss the people up there already and everyone on here . So how is the hag federation doing today lmmfao ! Is there any way i could be added maybe not , phillip is probably a little occupied trying to lick himself clean , only something a dog can do ! Love you all and have a good one ttyl

August 25, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Kenney!
      You made it back!
      I'm so glad!

August 25, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Hey Kenny

Glad to hear you made it safely. I LMAO over the fate of the yellow troll. That was hilarious. You have a safe trip home.

August 25, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

Good afternoon banasy and dazzle

I see the trouble starting trolls have gotten an early start for the weekend. Hopefully they'll drink themselves into oblivion early and pass out for the rest of the evening.

August 25, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Good afternoon, bciah.
      How is one of my favorite first responders doing today?
      (You share that honor with s kel, lest you were wondering)

August 25, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ banasy

I'm doing fairly well today. Well it looks like we might get a very unwanted visitor at the first of the week. I'll be on stand-by with the medical team, so this could get interesting.

August 25, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Oh, I hope that your visitor isn't as bad as predicted!
      I will be worrying about all of you!

August 25, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ Superman

I guess I didn't understand you comment. Please explain.

August 25, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

Hello, "Nora".
    I find it vastly amusing that you do not know how to spell 'endeavors' correctly.

August 25, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kenney

Look everyone im not state side yet the climb is not over until im in bed in long beach ca but thank you anyways . We are at the chimbote coastline now though and enjoying the coastal air and the occassional people selling there goods

August 25, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@Kenney, glad to see you on here. I hope the climb was magnificent and would love to see some pics. Get home safely, you've been missed.

August 25, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Kenney:
      I'm just glad that everything went so well.
      Chrissy has kept me apprised of all of you and your friends'...ummm... hijinks...you guys sound like people I would love to hang out with!

August 25, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kenney

@bobcat iah your jokes are hilarious weve had some gut busting going on down here to everyone needs these jokes

August 25, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ Kenny

I'm glad everyone has enjoyed my jokes down there. Just trying to do my part to promote goodwill towards mankind. If each person would tell at least one joke per day, this would be one big happy world. Give my best to Javier, Marcos and Julian. Be safe friend.

August 25, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. One of GODs messengers

Kenny Rogers, judge not lest yee be judged and let yee who is WITHOUT sin cast the first stone. Now young man i suggest you find something constructive to do with your time. Or you wish to spend eternity with the likes of Philip? YOU still have a choice!

August 25, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@OOGM, thanks for that but I think he is hopeless. LOL.

August 25, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. One of GODs messengers

Dazzle, sometimes fear of ~~~ inspires some, if you know what i mean! 😉

August 25, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kenney

@ bobcat iah no im on the beach of chimbote peru still climbing aint done till your in bed at home but this is the funnest part the chill out

August 25, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kenney

Good swimming here to chilly water and feels great

August 25, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kenny Rogers

Superman that wasn't me but a troll. I would never say terrible things to a bud of mine.

August 25, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. james ainoris

At least Samsung is a Korean (non communist) company.... Apple was one of the first to offshore all of its mfg to communist china a country with little or no human rights,child slave labor and prison camps for dissenting people. South Korea is a democracy and korean people and their government love America...! phooey on steve jobs...traitor! Now our "friend" (china) threatens us with regards to Iran and Syria!... why r we still allowing American companies to do buisness there when you get arrested for buying Cuban cigars????? corruption of all senators and congess by lobbiests for walmart et al...note the little yellow happy smile face on their logo....lol . Nudnicks blame the president when 500 on the hill call the shotz....all a dog and pony show...bread and circuses...Shalom

August 25, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |