Comments: 'Thank you Apple for confirming that you invented the rectangle'
A shop manager in South Korea shows Samsung Electronics' Galaxy S mobile phone, right, and Apple's iPhone 3G.
August 24th, 2012

Comments: 'Thank you Apple for confirming that you invented the rectangle'

Editor's note: We're listening to you. Every day, we spot thought-provoking comments from readers. Here's some comments we noticed today.

Apple and Samsung have been involved in a long battle over the design of Samsung devices that Apple says were "ripped off" from iPads and iPhones. Samsung also countersued Apple for infringing on some of its patents. After a federal jury in California recommended Friday that Apple be awarded more than $1 billion in damages, readers are talking about patents and the ways people define product designs.

Jury: Samsung should pay Apple more than $1 billion

Many readers were outraged, saying Apple's suit appeared malicious.

Jerad Howell: "What a ridiculous verdict. There are only so many ways you can design a touchscreen device. Apparently, this jury believes that Apple should be allowed to have a monopoly on touchscreen tablets and phones."

ogive17: "Apple's new motto 'litigate, not innovate.' Yes, I wanted Apple to lose."

Stnley Kubrick: "This sucks. Sanity once again defeated."

But some said there were some obvious design similarities.

TheH0LYT0AST: "For the life of me I don't understand how anyone can look at the picture at the top of this article and say, 'What? I don't see anything wrong with that.' "

Clint4CNN: "GOOD! Samsung is a thief, and they got caught!"

Nicholas Bloom: "Like Apple needs the money. They charge an arm and a leg for their products. Fair is fair, though."

Some made jabs at the U.S. patenting system.

kalatu: "Thank you Apple for confirming that you invented the 'rectangle.' "

justanother1: "No, because they get patents like 'rounded edges' and 'making a line on a touch screen' and then use their million dollar lawyers to sue anybody that dares to compete against them."

Ribbons21: "It seems like Apple has been allowed to patent way way too many things. I use Apple products (laptop and iPad), but my phone is a Samsung galaxy nexus. Trying to sue competitors out of business because the patent office allowed patents like slide to unlock is just ridiculous in my opinion."

Others said they believe Apple's products were copied unfairly.

Bull31: "I agree. Samsung obviously ripped off Apple's technology."

wave9x: "Awesome win for innovation, terrible loss for copycats. Buh bye Samsung – try to come up with your own ideas. Doubt anything worthwhile will come of that!"

alientech: "Before the iPhone, smart phones had keyboards and looked like the Blackberry. After the iPhone, smart phones have touchscreens and look like the iPhone. Apple's idea was obviously worth copying."

Readers debated what was going on with Apple.

Tom Thompson: "This is why I dislike Apple products so much.Their hardware has always been cutting edge and pretty cool but this proprietary take-no-prisoners business model is the same reason they fell from grace in the '90s. Not only do they not play nicely with others, their devices don't either. Compatibility across platforms is an essential requirement for a piece of technology to proliferate. Once the Kool-Aid and novelty wears off people will wake up and realize it's not worth paying twice as much for a device and Apple will be left in the dust once again!"

Daktaklakpak: "No, the reason they fell from grace in the '90s was because of being continually ramrodded my Microsoft, and having all their software innovations blatantly ripped off by the competition. This is the first time in history that a major decision like this has gone Apple's way. It probably does have to do with them suddenly being the big kid on the block, but they deserved some vindication all along."

Does it matter to the end user?

809do.com: "This situation is getting annoying! It's like a bunch of male teenagers comparing their rod sizes! In the end, these legal battles will hurt the evolution of software and hardware technologies big time ..."

TheH0LYT0AST: "How is copying = evolving?"

What do you think? Do you take one side or another? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Business • Comments • Technology • U.S.
  1. jackthegeek

Could Apple patent the air so everyone pays a cent everytime they breath. I'm tired of these lawsuits.

August 27, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken Best

How could a patent such as rectangular phone with round edge be granted? There are millions of rect phone with round edge before Apple, did the US patent office consider prior arts ?

By the way , the jury foreman looks like a mentally ill wannabe guy, don't know where Apple finds this guy ...
      He bragged that he owned a patent and is out to show everyone the importance of patent. Don't know
      why he considered Samsung's patents are worthless.

August 27, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. 1CentTwice

I think one of Apples board members had WAY too much influence on what they claim to have invented. Next thing you know, they will claim to have invented the Internet...oh wait, he already claimed that. Never mind.

August 27, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. John365

Apple wins hands down. Before the iPhone was released, smartphones sales were barely there. Sure we had Blackberry...cavemen style. After the iPhone, smartphone designs went after that simplistic all-display rectangular look – – something that Apple did with its iPhone in the first place. And it sold like crazy. Look at the Samsung smartphone and the iPhone, honestly think Samsung DID NOT copy the iPhone? Come on.

August 27, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Abul Hassan

LG Prada was announced and pictures released even before iPhone was announced. So Apple copied from LG?

September 5, 2012 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. DrDave

I'd like to know how much they plan to pay Xerox for "borrowing" the mouse.

August 28, 2012 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  5. art

We need reforms on patent laws .. for the future human generation have nothing left to reinvent. What is the use of going to school studying principles, figures when almost all resources were already owned by the aliens . Humans wakeup .Abolish the patents before its to late. Pro- open source..

August 28, 2012 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  6. Nico

Apple once stood for creativity and followed its passion to make products that customer wants to buy. Now the table is turned and Apple hasn't moved fast enough and lack creativity to make new exciting products that people really wants to pay for. Apple has in the past copied other successful inventions and got away with it. The way that apple products navigate through their graphical interface is nothing apple alone can take credit for. I guess the Apple spirit died with Steve Jobs. Apple is defeated but refuse to admit it. Just like the german during the second world war, Apple tries to gain world domination by force.

The verdict in the US court just shows that patent system in the US isnt working. I bet all the jury are apple phone users and by this said, the trial is more about saving the american economy than anything else. American is sliding down as an innovative and creative force in the electronic industry. Asia is comming up strong and that is something that worries US. We live in an era where american electronic companies are slowly fading away.

August 28, 2012 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. Apple love and hate...

Take design elements from the HP iPaQ 214 and you got the iPhone 3
    Take design elements from the Asus Aura and you got the iPhone 4
    Watch Space Odyssey and you got the iPad.
    Mix it all with Bose design elements....and we have Apple.
    The story is the biggest copycat is the smartest. Apple was sneaky and smart enough to register 'discutable' patents and walk away with it.
    It is the problem that anything can be patented by anybody. Prior art is not the case here.
    Everything they say is new or unique has already been there for years.

I do love Apple products. I hate them not to admit they copy, but are smart to create usable products from what others don't deem functional.

August 28, 2012 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  8. Charlie Five

Apple.. YOU SUCK! Period.

August 28, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. Chuks

Anyone can patent anything in the US, as long as it had not been patented in that same way before. Also, somehow, the US market drives the world market so companies are subject to US laws.
    I use an I pad but what apple fails to understand is that the rest of the world does not work on such "jailed devices" that won't allow you do anything outside their loop of devices. I would prefer open systems like Samsung or Microsoft make anytime, anyday. Apple reminds me of monopoly and I just don't like the feel.

August 28, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  10. S Rios

I find it difficult to believe that Apple with all it's success and $$ never shares it's success with it's customers. Ever get a discount or a sale or even a "Thank You Loyal Customers". NOTHING but higher prices for new products!! Loyal Customers we need to let Apple know they are not the only game in town!! We work hard for our money too!!

August 28, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. German Black Ant

I am going to patent the letter p and sue them twice

August 28, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. SAi

“Well, Steve, I think there’s more than one way of looking at it. I think it’s more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it.”

August 28, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oldpartsnrust

OK, so when exactly did Microsoft introduce their FIRST tablet PC? Hmmm,,,,, Wasn't that a rectangle too?

August 28, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Creel

Their attempt at establishing a monopoly via the court system inspired me to purchase my second Galaxy Tab. I have the 7" and the 10.1 now. I will never buy an other Apple product. My new 10.1 takes any SIM card; I had to purchase it in Dubai, as I'm unsure if I can even do so in the US.

August 29, 2012 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. Terence Smith

Don't like Apple. Never will. Don't like Samsung either. WHo really cares?

August 28, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Republican Money

What a valuable contribution! Thanks!

August 29, 2012 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  14. Karl

Something extremely simple like slide to unlock, pinch to zoom, double tap to zoom shouldn't be able to be patented beyond a year or two of the original patent. ie: allow the creator to give a jump start on the market... but not a monopoly on it forevermore.

August 29, 2012 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
  15. Rick McDaniel

There was never any doubt that Apple was being ripped off in Asia. On the other hand, if they choose to make their products there, they should be expecting that to happen.

August 29, 2012 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |