August 24th, 2012

Norway killer Anders Breivik ruled sane

Anders Behring Breivik, the man who killed 77 people in a bomb attack and gun rampage just over a year ago, was judged to be sane Friday by a Norwegian court, as he was sentenced to 21 years in prison.

Breivik was charged with voluntary homicide and committing acts of terror in the attacks in Oslo and on Utoya Island on July 22, 2011.

The issue of Breivik's sanity, on which mental health experts have given conflicting opinions, was central to the court's ruling.

Breivik, who boasts of being an ultranationalist who killed his victims to fight multiculturalism in Norway, wanted to be ruled sane so that his actions wouldn't be dismissed as those of a lunatic.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Norway • Terrorism • World
  1. Our Blog Community

August 21st, 2012 11:43
    /////Subject to change without notice/////
    Our Local CNN Blog Community:
    Bombo
    fernace
    raven
    saywhat
    Cesar Chorizo Champ of Chihuahua
    Jeff Frank
    All in this community, try to follow CNN community guidelines. If your recommended to be added or you want to opt out, let Jeff know.
    Trolls and “heat of the moment” screen name changers need not apply.

August 24, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Sinfully Yours

So glad I am not on that list...if I was, i would have to pull a Seau!

August 24, 2012 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
    • CenTexan©

Please add me to the list of my fellow bloggers! I can't blog as much now that I can't blog from my android. What's up with that anyhow? I used to be able to.

August 24, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Snow Maiden

Anders! We hear you in the U.S. Jeg esker jeg.....I am trying to learn Norwegian. I am an American and I would like to get leave this nation. My husbund and his family want to escape back to Norway, but I am afriad it isn't quite was used to when she left. Help! Is there anyplace besides this Southeast America to live????!

September 7, 2012 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. THE_MAD_BOMBER

BREIVIK = GOOD GUY!!!! HE COULD TAKE CARE OF THE TALIBAN & AL QAEDA BY HIMSELF!!!!

August 24, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. Our Blog Community

in·san·i·ty noun \in- ˈ sa-nə-tē\
    plural in·san·i·ties
    Definition of INSANITY
    : a deranged state of the mind usually occurring as a specific disorder (as schizophrenia)
    : such unsoundness of mind or lack of understanding as prevents one from having the mental capacity required by law to enter into a particular relationship, status, or transaction or as removes one from criminalor civil responsibility
    a : extreme folly or unreasonableness
    b : something utterly foolish or unreasonable

Jeff: It's kind of unremarkable that there would be proponents from both sides arguing over a definition similiar as the one above, only because of such a liberal government.
    There isn't really to much input the U.S. has over this tradgic incident, only to remind us that the only difference there was, these 77 people weren't in a movie theater watching the premier of another Batman movie.

August 24, 2012 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

sinfully yours:
    What do you mean? I guess I don't fully understand.

August 24, 2012 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

sinfully yours:
    Are you referring to "Junior Seau"? Man that dude looks just like one of my former bosses.

August 24, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

sinfully yours:
    I guess if that is what you mean, after you bang against a few thousand of CNN's threads, youl would collapse too.

August 24, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

*** Jeff says: Later! ***

August 24, 2012 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jake

You kill 77 people, are declared sane, and only receive 21 years in prison by the Norwegian court? That's totally insane!! That's like a slap on the wrist, but that's just my opinion.

August 24, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Assgear

21 years with a minimum of 10 years, which means he WILL be sentenced to another 21 years in minimum 10 years, so he won't just sit in prison for 21 years. it's a peculiar legal system we've got here, but he's basically sentenced to life in prison.

August 27, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

CenTexan©:
    When you sign in on your droid, you have to out in a website.
    Just use this one.
    It'll go through then.

Jeff Frank:
    PLEASE add CenTexan.
    He's good people.

@Sinfully Yours:
    What a weird thing to say...you'd rather kill yourself than be be on a list?
    Wow.

August 24, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Um, Brievik, no matter what the court ruled, yours were those of a lunatic.
    And was this ruling made before or after the lithium and the thorazine drip?
    No matter.
    The world will remember you as b s crazy, anyhow.

21 years for all of those deaths?
    At least a year for each death would be a little more fitting...

August 24, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Hope

I agree... but Oslo's is totally different from our justice system. They, truly, are more advanced in their reasoning and it works.

Thoughts and prayers,
      Hope

August 24, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hope:
      Yes, I know...it probably doesn't bring much comfort the victim's families, but I do know that they have a miniscule amount of crime compared to here.
      I doubt they had anything as horrific as what Brievik did in mind when they wrote the laws; they have to go with what is applicable at the time of the crime...
      Those poor children.

August 24, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hope

I know. He was so methodical, like none of them mattered. 21 to 10? Highly doubtful. He'll serve his full sentence. Who knows? They might find him to be insane and a danger to himself and others and stick him in a mental facility. That'd break his composure...

The people of Oslo are kind and this tragedy has made them stronger.

~Bless,
      Hope

August 24, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hope

I mean while he's incarcerated...

Can you imagine having the NERVE?
      Upon learning of his fate, he said he
      wished he'd killed more!

Lobotomy Time!

😀

August 24, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hope:
      I know!
      He was positively *gleeful*!
      I sincerely hope that he serves the full 21 years with not ime of for whatever reasons; I further hope that he IS proven to be insane and put away for life...after he has served the full 21, of course!

August 24, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. saywhat

Good morning all.
    21 years would mean 10 years of served time I believe and for killing 77 innocent people. I'm sure the smirk on Brievik's face has deepens and his like minded are celebrating all over.

August 24, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cindy

21 yrs for killing 77 people. He got off easily. I guess the system blamed the deceased.

August 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • martinsensen

GOod and interested people.
      Someone used the word condescending about our (Norwegians) views about the US system of punishment.
      For the record: the vast majority of directly affecte are happy with this outcome. THey believe in a justice system without the penalty of death, and they can see it's been a thourugh process. It would make no affected people happy to see otherwise. So what i DO find condescending is that you apply your view of criminal justice to the victims and place words in their mouth. Most of us are happy and relieved he got the absolute toughest sentence possible, and we don't believe in changing a system of justice ad hoc for one case no matter wich. That is called consequence and long term wiseness. Locking up people for 225 years is not only illogcal, it does not help, and neither does a chair. SO please accept that most victims and families want it to be this way and that we are proud of a thoorugh system that does not jump to conclusions and has no unrealistic ambitions of dettering anyone by higher max sentences. That is not the way, and I'm proud of the families that say the same. Vindictivness does not make a healthier worrld.

August 25, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. james ainoris

The only logical thing to do with individuals that committ such horrible acts is to somehow study their brains using advanced PET and fMRI technologies.... the movie theatre and Sikh massacre as well as many other incidents were committed by people that are often mentally unbalanced and angry at the world... maybe we can learn more about the human mind and behaviour instead of goimg to mars (again).... so little is known about the brain and behaviour...science does NOT include psychology and/or psychiatry in its midst in america for good reasons being :none if its findings or opinions can be repeated or predicted in any double blind placeabo experiment (golden rule of modern science) . IQ ,MMPI and "lie" detector tests are not accurate and are racist (look up history of mmpi and IQ) . In our modern world we seem to ignore mental illness... the public most often wants vengence and not solutions....like middle age europe inquisition. I would ask why most often angry white wasp men are so mad? Shalom

August 25, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ronvan

Definitely a different thought process! THEIR laws so they have to abid by them! Other than the sentence, which is totally obsene, look at what we do. Have a trial, tell everyone they are insane/crazy, put them in a nut house for the rest of their life, OR, now they are sane and no longer a threat, so lets turn them loose, because they NEVER will do it again!? The answer is to KILL everyone of these "things" that do tragedies like this, ON THE SPOT! I do not care to hear what reason or why they did it!!

August 26, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |