August 29th, 2012

Wednesday's live events

Hurricane Isaac is bearing down on the U.S. Gulf Coast.  Watch CNN.com Live for continuing coverage of the storm's impact on the region.

Today's programming highlights...

Ongoing coverage - Hurricane Isaac tracker and briefings

8:30 am ET - GOP women's breakfast - Ann Romney and Janna Ryan will participate in a "Women for Mitt Romney" breakfast in Tampa.  Ann Romney will then attend a Latina coalition luncheon at 12:15 pm ET.

12:45 pm ET - Live from the #CNNgrill - CNN's Peter Hamby returns with his political panel as they discuss the headlines of the day at the Republican National Convention.

3:00 pm ET - Romney at American Legion - GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney is spending his day in Indianapolis, where he'll speak to an American Legion convention.  He'll later address RNC delegates from Indianapolis at 8:00 pm ET.

3:30 pm ET - Obama in Virginia - President Obama will spend his afternoon campaigning in the college town of Charlottesville, Virginia.  The town is home to the main campus of the University of Virginia.

7:00 pm ET - Republican National Convention - The second full day of activities at the RNC gets under way in Tampa, Florida.  Check out a list of key speakers at CNN.com Live

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

1. NYYFan1

Heaven help this nation of ours if the GOP takes the White House, keeps control of the House of Representatives and takes control of the Senate. Just when you thought the financial crisis of 2008 was bad, under a GOP led House, Senate & White House, the 2008 "Great Recession" will look like a "walk in the park."

Oh, BTW, I am not a liberal Democrat either. I do not support either party. I am a registered Independent !! Personally, I am only sorry neither former Governor of Minnesota, Jesse Ventura, nor Mayor of NYC, Michael Bloomberg, are on this ticket to run for President.

August 29, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. Nhialchuolran

God is great,i was shock when i got the news my people who suffering with God made natural displacement which is hurrican in some areas in USA.

Nobody having power only the creature.
    Therefore we humanbeing let us respect the Holly.

Ustaz Nhial Chuol Ran

South Sudan

August 29, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

Build an Ark The Lord said to Noah, "In six months, I'm going to make it rain until the earth is covered with water and all the evil is destroyed. I want you to build an ark and save two of each animal species. Here are the blueprints for the ark." Six months passed. The skies began to cloud and rain began to fall. Noah sat in his front yard, weeping. "Why haven't you built the ark?" asked the Lord. "Oh, forgive me," said Noah. "I did my best, but so many things happened. "The blueprints you gave me didn't meet the city's code and I had to change them. Then the city said I was violating the zoning ordinance by building an ark in my front yard, so I had to get a varience.. "The Forest Service required tree-cutting permits, and I was sued by a state animal rights group when I tried to gather up the animals. "The EPA required an environmental impact statement concerning the flood. the Army Corps of Engineers wanted a map of the proposed flood plain. "The IRS seized all my assets, claiming I was trying to avoid paying taxes by leaving the country, and the Equal Opportunity Commission said I wasn't hiring enough Croatians. "I'm sorry, Lord, but I can't finish the ark for at least five years." Suddenly the rain stopped, the skies cleared and the sun began to shine. Noah looked up and said, "Lord, does this mean you're not going to devastate the earth?" "Right," said the Lord. "The government already has."

August 29, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Rawr:
      I KNOW, right?
      How's everything?

August 29, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Good morning banasy

It's a little rough eight now. We're in the
      outer feeder bands of the storm, so it's a constant wind and rain situation. But the people in Mew Orleans are where my thoughts are right now.
      Happily I can announce we haven't had any medical emergencies to respond to. Sure hoping it remains that way. They say we are supposed to experience this weather all of today and tonight and possibly into tomorrow as the storm center is crawling a 6 mph to the NW. So everybody hang in there and be safe.

August 29, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Hello my friends. Sorry banasy, I accidentally reported abuse on your harmless comment above. I hate the touchscreen on this phone. If it gets deleted, it's my fault.

What exactly is a republican women's breakfast? How does it differ from a standard breakfast? Does one wear a Pat Nixon republican coat while eating it?

August 29, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nhial Chuol Ran

The two party in USA should have respect the advice iam giving.

If i could be usa citizen i can judge the current sysrtem compare to by gone system(i mean the present president of united state of american and mr Bush regime).

Yes Bush is strong man like Obama because he management to settle the peace in all part of the world.

Obama show the al qaeda network the red card by killing their leader,long live obama long live usa citizens long live second term obama leadership.

August 29, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

I just want to take this moment to say good morning to all my friends and let you you know things are somewhat okay down here right now. We are catching some heavy feeder bands right now, so it's a little rough.

My thoughts go out to those of you in Louisiana at this time and hope that you stay safe. To my FR bretren. Good luck to you and be safe.

August 29, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

My thoughts are with NO, and the outer Parrishes, where an 18 foot levy already broke in Plaquemines Parrish...12 feet of water in homes...
    People who are dismissing this because it's "only" a category 1 do not take into consideration that it *water* that does the most damage...and the storm has stalled...people, get some empathy and wish them well...

August 29, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. dazzle ©

Good Morning everyone, I am hoping that the folks in the south get some relief. On a personal note, I'm told things are scattered in Tampa at the RNC. The one closest to my heart may go national in the 2:00 hour.

August 29, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. saywhat

good morning to you too@dazzle and @banasy@bobcat
    good to know that things are quieter in your area @ bobcat.Hope and pray all folks remain safe.

August 29, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. saywhat

get out and vote, all who care for this country, come elections.

August 29, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I agree totally, saywhat.
      *The* single most important thing a citizen can do....

August 29, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

lmfao @ bobcat, most awesome joke. And glad to see youre ok. Good afternoo dazzle, banasy, bobcat and saywhat. Hope all is well with all of you.

August 29, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Frank

People of the United States of America,
    MSNBC coverage of the GOP Convention if you can call it that is a Farce, as of my viewing at 7:20PM the Senate Majority Leader was speaking to the Convention and MSNBC was interviewing the usual Democratic hacks. They obviously do not want to get the Republican message to get of there. You will see the difference when FOX NEWS covers the Democratic Convention with “Fair and Balanced Coverage”.

August 29, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Frank:
      May I ask why you are complaining about MSNBC's coverage on a CNN website?

August 30, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

@ Frank, and WHAT message is that? All theyve done is attack the POTUS and havent said one damn thing about what they are going to do!

August 29, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kenney

Just great a staunch mormon and a staunch catholic in office just think of that for a second,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh by the way the lds(mormon church) says that the leader of the household is alays the priesthood holder ,,,,,,,,,ok now this one,,,,,,do we really want someone in office that is domineering thru his priesthood authority ? I invite all of you to research this beta,,,ok . Because if romney wins the seat americas women will lose there rights to there bodies ,,,,,,,and with his perunning mate possible vice we are in a lot of trouble . I for one will vote for our presiding pres. With romney taxes will go up and our freedoms will be stripped away through his so called prayer and faith do we really want a man in office that will practice his secret combinations at the peoples expense he will hide his ways and always has

August 30, 2012 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  14. Oh

I know this because i was raised in the church and they do not forgive easily they chastize for ever and only let up on others if they feel the punishment is good so you folks out there think that this romney is good for the people ? Think again

August 30, 2012 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  15. Last comment was KENNEY

This is the truth to its fullest

August 30, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |