Hal David's greatest hits
September 1st, 2012

Hal David's greatest hits

Here is a list of some of the many hits with lyrics written by Hal David, who died Saturday at age 91:

"The Four Winds and the Seven Seas," for Vic Damone
"The Bell Bottom Blues," for Teresa Brewer
"Broken Hearted Melody," for Sarah Vaughan
"Sea of Heartbreak," for Don Gibson
"Johnny Get Angry," for Joanie Sommers
"My Heart's an Open Book," for Carl Dobkins, Jr.
"The Story of My Life," for Marty Robbins
"Magic Moments," for Perry Como
"Blue on Blue," for Bobby Vinton
"Wives and Lovers," for Jack Jones
"What the World Needs Now is Love," for Jackie De Shannon
"This Guy's in Love with You," for Herb Alpert
"(They Long to Be) Close to You," for The Carpenters
"(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me," for Sandie Shaw
"What's New Pussycat," for Tom Jones
"Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head," for the movie "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" and recorded by B.J. Thomas
"Promises, Promises," from the musical of the same name
"99 Miles from L.A.," performed by Albert Hammond
"To All the Girls I've Loved Before," performed by Albert Hammond
The theme for the movie "Moonraker"

For Gene Pitney:
"Only Love Can Break a Heart"
"24 Hours from Tulsa"
"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"
For Dionne Warwick:
"Don't Make Me Over"
"Anyone Who Had a Heart"
"Walk on By"
"Reach Out for Me"
"You'll Never Get to Heaven If You Break My Heart"
"A House is Not a Home"
"I Say a Little Prayer"
"Message to Michael"
"Do You Know the Way to San Jose"
"Alfie"
"I'll Never Fall in Love Again"

For Dusty Springfield:
"Wishin' and Hopin'"
"The Look of Love"
What's your favorite Hal David song? Tell us in the comments below.

Filed under: Music
  1. LibertyQueen

Absolutely great music written by Hal David.

September 1, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • stillnotregistering

david didn't write the music, he wrote the words ...

September 1, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. steve

What a wonderful legacy...many many classics.

September 1, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mgarcia

I spent a great deal of my youth singing Hal David songs into a hairbrush...but I have to say "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" might be my favorite. And then I start thinking of all the other ones and it's hard to choose. What an amazing way with words he had.

September 1, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jpflorida

Close to you, Do you know the way to San Jose. A real class act !!!

September 1, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

A prolific lyricist who will be missed.
    RIP, Hal Davids.

September 1, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Edward

Wow! He sure wrote a lot of big, big hits.

September 1, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TomV

"I Say A Little Prayer," Aretha's version

September 1, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. swohio

Saw the headline and immediately recognized the name, because he wrote Close to You, by the Carpenters...my all time favorite group.

September 1, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kenney

Oh yes the older yunes i remember most of them a lot of good memories from that music may he rip

September 1, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. David Ouellette

As soon as I heard that Hal David had died, I pulled "What The World Needs Now Is Love, Sweet Love" out of my record collection and played it. Such a beautiful song – perhaps his signature song. Farewell to one of the greatest songwriters of our time. The Look Of Love has claimed him and he has gone into the Light.

September 1, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. johnnybegood

Amazing talent, his words shall live in, rip Mr. David, thanks for making me feel good with your words.

September 1, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. FloridaBill

Everything he wrote for Dionne Warwick and Dusty Springfield.

September 1, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ArchieDeBunker

Ah, those were the days! When you could actuallly understand the lyrics, you weren't ashamed to have your kids or your parents hear them, and others didn't have to wear ear plugs to keep from hearing your "music!" Don't know which one is my favorite, but to go from "Johnny Get Angry" to "Liberty Valence" to "Close to You" certainly represents a versatility that hardly any other song writer can match.

September 1, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Portland tony

Simply Amazing! The lyrics this man wrote were sung by millions across genre lines from pop to rock to country. Certainly a genius. RIP Hal David!

September 1, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Truly a great man with great talent. May you rest in peace.

September 1, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • arctic bob

This is an example of an effective EBW application for a reactor case component that is made of 100mm thick aluminum for the manufacturing application of large-sized liquid crystal screens.
      I remember "Alfie", a very favorite of mine. But most important was a time I was spending on an Ice Island called T-3, a 100ft thick piece of ice 3 x 5 mi long that had broken off Elsmere glacier in Canada upper provinces. It was the summer time and we were isolated because the ice was melting temporarily and only way to get supplies to the ice island was by air-dropping. Basically we were isolated for about 3 months of the summer time. One time during this period I was left alone at our electronic station for over a day. Since the days were 24hr long, ho hum. The problem came when I was going between buildings (12x24ft) huts and finding doors open. Since I was by myself I could not blame someone else for leaving them open. I walked between these buildings (huts) looking for the perpetrator even though I knew I was alone. Long story short, I had an imaginary friend and I ended up calling him “Alfie”. There is more to the story but most important is Alfie, that song brings back memories of that occasion.

September 2, 2012 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat (in a hat)©

Thank you for the many tunes that helped me woo so many young ladies in my younger days. You were always helping me say the right things Mr. David. Rest in peace and thanks for the memories.

September 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |