Hal David's greatest hits
September 1st, 2012

Hal David's greatest hits

Here is a list of some of the many hits with lyrics written by Hal David, who died Saturday at age 91:

"The Four Winds and the Seven Seas," for Vic Damone
"The Bell Bottom Blues," for Teresa Brewer
"Broken Hearted Melody," for Sarah Vaughan
"Sea of Heartbreak," for Don Gibson
"Johnny Get Angry," for Joanie Sommers
"My Heart's an Open Book," for Carl Dobkins, Jr.
"The Story of My Life," for Marty Robbins
"Magic Moments," for Perry Como
"Blue on Blue," for Bobby Vinton
"Wives and Lovers," for Jack Jones
"What the World Needs Now is Love," for Jackie De Shannon
"This Guy's in Love with You," for Herb Alpert
"(They Long to Be) Close to You," for The Carpenters
"(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me," for Sandie Shaw
"What's New Pussycat," for Tom Jones
"Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head," for the movie "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" and recorded by B.J. Thomas
"Promises, Promises," from the musical of the same name
"99 Miles from L.A.," performed by Albert Hammond
"To All the Girls I've Loved Before," performed by Albert Hammond
The theme for the movie "Moonraker"

For Gene Pitney:
"Only Love Can Break a Heart"
"24 Hours from Tulsa"
"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"
For Dionne Warwick:
"Don't Make Me Over"
"Anyone Who Had a Heart"
"Walk on By"
"Reach Out for Me"
"You'll Never Get to Heaven If You Break My Heart"
"A House is Not a Home"
"I Say a Little Prayer"
"Message to Michael"
"Do You Know the Way to San Jose"
"Alfie"
"I'll Never Fall in Love Again"

For Dusty Springfield:
"Wishin' and Hopin'"
"The Look of Love"
What's your favorite Hal David song? Tell us in the comments below.

Filed under: Music
  1. paul harris

i get goose bumps when i think of his music,and right up there with bacharac,anka.e.john,carol king,mccartney etc.
    melody makers is where it's at.he should be missed.

September 2, 2012 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. Byron

what a great songwriter..... R.I.P. his songs will last forever. My favorite. Any One Who Had A Heart. and Luther Vandross version of A House Is Not A Home... Thank you Mr. David.

September 2, 2012 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  3. maria

another music great up in heaven! thankyou for the sountrack of my life R I P

September 2, 2012 at 5:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. Marianne Seggerman

Knowing When to Leave – from Promises Promises
    Kristen Chenowith's version

September 2, 2012 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  5. jimranes

Amazing lyrics, superb melodies and the sweetest voices ever were all hallmarks of Hal David's music. I loved them all and still do. His lyrics will live forever. RIP Hal, you will live forever!

September 2, 2012 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan Conway

Absolutely right. Had no idea he was behind all these songs! The George Gershwin of his day.

September 2, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jonatan

The look of love. I cannot believe this man's song list. Truly Incredible.

September 2, 2012 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. emil schell (ret marine)

thease where songs taht came from the heart and sung by the best..not like the songs(if you can call them songs) of today...all the hollering and words of no meaning (crap) i lived in the best area of the whole world...god will welcome you....

September 2, 2012 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  8. David

I loved all his songs,but Wishing and Hoping reminds me of my teen years in the matchless Sixties! Hal David was a gift!

September 2, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  9. TomF.

I Say A Little Prayer For You. Both the lyrics and the melody are utterly ravishing. One of the greatest songs ever written.

September 2, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. Tuvia Bolton

What the world needs now is my favorite. Many of these I assumed were written by Burt Bachrach. Good to know!

September 2, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sean

Wow...what a genius and truly prolific songwriter the world has lost. My thoughts are with his family.

September 2, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. Honey

A dollah make me hollah. I Honey Boo Boo.

September 2, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. J

For some strange reason, I kept listening to Dionne Warwick's early hits recently, all those penned by Hal David...

RIP Hal David, thank you for sharing your amazing lyrics with the world.

September 2, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jim P.

A tremendous loss! What an incredible body of work. I am going to honor his memory by making a mixtape (yes, tape) of all of his songs! Rest In Peace, David.

September 2, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  15. Diane OG

Reports say Hal David wrote for the Beatles....anyone know what song(s) please?

September 2, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Charlie

Hal David did NOT write a song for the Beatles..It was actually his brother,Mack,who co-wrote "Baby It's You" that the Beatles did.(I'm a Beatle Nut,if you didn't know)...Have a great day!..and Peace....

September 2, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |