September 1st, 2012

Saturday's live events

The Republicans have had their say, and now it's time for the Democrats to hold their national convention.  Watch CNN.com Live for gavel-to-gavel coverage.

Today's programming highlights...

10:50 am ET - Romney in Ohio - Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney begins his day in Ohio, where he'll participate in a rally in Cincinnati.

2:20 pm ET - Obama visits Iowa - President Obama spends his day in Iowa, beginning with a campaign event in Urbandale.  He'll then travel to Sioux City for an appearance at Morningside College at 7:05 pm ET.

4:30 pm ET - GOP ticket rally - Romney and running mate Rep. Paul Ryan will get together in Jacksonville, Florida, for a campaign event.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Elections • On CNN.com today • Politics
  1. chrissy

Heres a recent speech: Mitt Romney was addressing a crowd in Prattville, Alabama when he stated: I understand how difficulu it can be for an African-American in todays society. In fact, i can relate to black people very well indeed. My ancestors once -TBC

September 1, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

(cont) owned slaves, and it is in my lineage to work closely with the black community. However, just because they were freed over a century ago doesnt mean they can now be freeloaders. They need to be TOLD to work hard, and the incentives just arent (cont

September 1, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

(cont) there for them anymore. When im president, i plan to work closely with the black community to bring a sense of pride and work ethic back into view for them!!!

September 1, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

What i want to know, is how much thought process he put into that speech, and did it even cross his mind that someone might wanta put a cap in his a55 for that racist BS?? Cant fix stupid i guess.

September 1, 2012 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Since you are so desperately trying to pull the race card, I will clear up some facts. First, you can't pull the race card on Paul Ryan. His college sweetheart was black. Second, would you prefer a president that encourages minororities to use excuses to not work and live on food stamps, unemployment, welfare and section 8 housing? Remember the leach on your couch, always feeding you some excuse as to why he can't find a job while he mooches off of you. This is how Obama became known as the food stamp president, he encourages that type of behavior. Mitt Romney is simply trying to cut the blood sucking leaches off, and though it really isn't about race the black community is using this first black president as a crutch. As I just said it truly is not about race, I know more white people on government assistance than black people, but being the only white man in an all black work crew they sure do sit in the corner by the water cooler and watch this white boy do all the hard work. Mitt Romney is just letting you know he won't tolerate that type of lazy mooching behavior. It is yoir vice president, Joe Biden that makes racist references to putting people in chains. FACT: if someone else pays your rent for you and feeds your family, you must live by their rule, you become their slave. Who encourages welfare spending? Answer: Obama, that's who will enslave you if you give him four more years.

September 1, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Nobody is pulling the race card; HE SAID IT.
      Nobody is talking about Ryan; this speech is wholly Romney's; he owns it.
      He owns it.
      He owns it.
      We're talking about Romney, who, it seems, pulled the race card himself when he was addressing a group of black people.
      Here's a FACT:
      If one considers themselves a slave to any corporation, their mentality is sorely lacking, and they deserve whatever they get from that corporation...

Bringing up chrissy's home life is unnecessary, and extremely unbecoming; it added nothing to the argument, and indeed, makes ad hominem look as if it is the preferred form of debate.
      Totally unworthy behavior.

And all because she brought up a speech that Romney actually gave.

September 1, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

@ Banasy I was just making the point that Romney wasn't trying to be racist, but as a business owner he has witnessed the type of mooching that I deal with. So so all of the bosses that I work for, noone really says anything about it for fear of being labeled as a racist. Neither have I, I keep my mouth shut and just do my job. As a result I have made promotion after promotin, I am the crane operator now watching the same lazy people who are stuck in the lower positios because they refuse to work hard. As a business owner Romney has plenty of experience with this type of behavior, Obama has none, he has never had to actually work for a living. You are correct that it was a little insensitive and rude for me to address Chrissy's home life and for that I apoligize to you Chrissy, I was just trying to find an example that you would be familiar with and I should have found a better way, for that I am sorry and I hope you will accwpt my apoligy.

September 1, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

He may not have been TRYING to come off as racist, but that is EXACTLY how he did come off. Proud lineage of slaveowners. His speechwriter should be fired, and he should proofread EVERYTHING that comes across his desk Believe it or not, this is about the AMERICAN PEOPLE, of who the Black community is a part of! I've seen your posts BOASTING how you're taking money from the US GOV'T YOURSELF, so you're just as guilty of being a mooch!

September 1, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

Abd if you call INGERITED WEALTH and CORPORATE R A P E "working for a living", when YOUR job is gone, fool, eat your words to ease your hunger!

September 1, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

What Romney said essentially is, you do not work to one ethnic group by naming the Black community, and I will work with you. Hamsta, your crew is not an example of all Blacks. It is very racist remark. Name one person of Vulture capitalist Bain that was Black.
      Owning a slave, cannot bring you close to understanding what it is like to be a slave.
      As far as your comments on Biden, taken out of context, how can the GOP after saying repeatedly about the Dems, "shackling" be any different than putting in chains remark from Biden, this arguement is moot.
      I think the remarks of Romney are wayyyyyyyy more racist and condesending.

September 2, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadDemocrat

you must didnt not know that when the ecomy crashed not only were minories using govt assistance but also majority so dont try to defend this racist remark.
      Paul Ryan – was never mentioned Mitt is digging a hole all by himself.

October 30, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

You do realize that what you're quoting is from FreeWoodPost.com, which writes fictional/satirical stories, right? It's not a recent speech that Romney made, it's a story that someone wrote. Check your facts before quoting. It helps when you're incompetent. http://www.freewoodpost.com/disclaimer/

November 3, 2012 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ chrissy

Did he honest to god say that ? That's what you call a REAL connection, huh ? I can't believe his arrogance in thinking he could talk to anyone like this and not see anything wrong with it.

September 1, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

Hi Bobcat(iah) lol. you think? lol I cannot believe it. If President Obama or his superpac does not make a infomercial about this I will think they really do not wish to win. If this is fact, fact checkers will give them a truth on this.

September 2, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Hey chrissy:
    For REAL?
    No joke?
    OMG.
    What kind out-of-touch-with-reality speech is that??

September 1, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

Oh its for real alright. Word for word.

September 1, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

"It's in my lineage to work very closely with the black community"??
    Well, his lineage includes slaveowners, so I guess that's about as close as it gets...smh.
    What a stupid thing to brag about.

September 1, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

I know, right? So now i finally get to hear WHAT he intends to do if hes POTUS! Bring back slavery! Lol

September 1, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  10. -Fat Racist- (R-Ohio)"Shoot Looters"

Yeah yeah. Don't shoot the messenger troll I mean girl.

September 1, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

And if you were running for POTUS, I would say the same thing: what a stupid thing to brag about.

September 1, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Hey troll you make me feel famous like elvis when you impersonate me.

September 2, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. -Fat Racist- (R-Ohio)"Shoot Looters"

Now the Democrats will have the last word with thier convention...even if it ends with a pack of lies to get votes.

September 1, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Why not?
      It's the BS American way for and election, no?
      And Romney's speech isn't a lie.
      Look it up.
      Look, I don't care WHO said it, it's an absolutelt ridiculous thing to add as a selling point to the Black Community to try and get votes...what's next?
      Saying one has close ties to the white community because they're ancestors wore pretty white s h e e t s?

September 1, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

My post is fraught with errors...DYAC!

September 1, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. saywhat

Good morning folks.
    I didn't hear that speech but can say without any hesitation that this man is an 'expert' in exhibiting his idiocy, paucity of intellect and detachment from the common man and reality. Whenever you hear him speak he convinces us of this talent.
    Voters be aware.

September 1, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. saywhat

As usual some news you guys may have missed.
    John Bolton ( yes the man who should have been committed long back) speaking to Maa'riv in Israel spoke thus " You should attack Iran its your right" because Obama wouldn't.

IAEA cofirmed that nuclears arms programme is non-existent in Iran.

September 1, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

Romney said he would go in.

September 2, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. saywhat

Two more of our own were killed in Afghanistan today.
    This election campaign avoids Afghan war like it was pestilence.
    The candidates perhaps are good people who don't like talking about bad things.

September 1, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |