Taking a break for Labor Day
September 2nd, 2012

Taking a break for Labor Day

On Monday, people across the United States will be sending the summer season a final salute as they celebrate Labor Day's extended weekend.

Grills will be fired up, opening games of the college football season will be rehashed and vacations will be squeezed into the calendar for one last hurrah until the winter holidays.

Just beware that in the middle of all the celebrating, gas prices will be higher and travelers will make traffic heavy. But don't worry - the gas prices, according to CNNMoney, are expected to drop back down.

As for our coverage,  Eatocracy is on hand with not only the best hot dogs for your backyard shindig, but an entire collection of the best tips and recipes for the ultimate summer send-off. CNN Money also has a gallery of Labor Day getaways on one tank or less to ease your spending woes.

Want to know the real, embattled history of this holiday that gives us an extra relaxing day off of work? Author and historian Kenneth C. Davis spells it out in his eloquent opinion piece - and just why we shouldn't take this September 3 for granted. Also, get to know Labor Day by the numbers.

Grab your Labor Day weekend forecast here and if you're still stumped on where to go, JD Rinne of Jetsetter.com share her picks with us for last-minute getaways.

We'd also like to know how you'll be spending your Labor Day - where you're going, what you're cooking, who you're spending it with. Do you have any traditions you observe every year? Did Davis' history of Labor Day surprise you? Let us know in the comments below.

Post by:
Filed under: Labor Day
  1. Hamsta

Spending my labor day wishing Entergy would stop stalling around and usimg Obama like excuses to not get the job done.

September 2, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Verne

@Hamsta, you're the tool of the exploitative bourgeois one-percent managerial class. On this Labor Day, while you're shovelling hamburgers down your big capitalist mouth, let's pause to reflect upon the meaning of this day: The struggle of labor to obtain a decent living without submitting to the harsh working demands of the one-percenters. President Obama is courageous enough to stand against the exploiters and seize their ill-gotten gains and return it to the working class. If the extremist Congress would pass the Jobs Bill more wealth could be divided and, hello! the workers who receive it could stimulate the economy when they spend it.

Think about that while you're feeling so self righteous over your BBQ, hack for employers and exploitative capitalists.

September 3, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

IThe only reason I'm not working today is because Entergy wants to use Obama like excuses to stall around and not get the job done. The excuse is that they were deciding who's responsibility it is to remove the trees from power lines. Anyway I work most labor days and don't even get overtime pay to do so. Yes I am a capitalist, you socialist leaches are the ones destroyimg this economy, you want everything I have and more but you refuse to earn it. You want the government to take from hard working individuals and give to leaches that refuse to get a job. Kust to let you know I will be spending this labor day putting my house back togethor.

September 3, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

I wonder if this is cnn's way of saying *they're* taking a day off, also, lol?

September 2, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

lol...awl, stop addin' salt todah wound...they are working on the lights...buttah marsala ribs and limes immah coming...baaaaybey!

September 2, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Dang, that's sounds like a good menu.....

September 2, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • kramsaycnn

We'll be here!

September 2, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

After a church service on Sunday morning, a young boy suddenly announced to his mother, “Mom, I’ve decided to become a minister when I grow up.”
    “That’s okay with us, but what made you decide that?”
    “Well,” said the little boy, “I have to go to church on Sunday anyway, and I figure it will be more fun to stand up and yell, than to sit and listen.”

September 2, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Bciah:
      You're on a roll...

September 2, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Abraham

Plus those preachers only work on Sunday and sometimes Wednesday evenings. Some of them make loads of money plus they get their choice of the widdow women.

September 2, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Yo

September 2, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Sorry about the "yo", but I tried posting something else and it got blocked. CNN is blocking blasphemy now.

September 2, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

pizza and beer for communion........?

September 2, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

.......instead of wafers and wine.....?

September 2, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@BOMBO ©:

Took a jump through Mississippi, well, muddy water turned to wine.

Hey, hey.

September 2, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

I don't imagine it will stay up long, but it does illustrate the "too many cooks in the kitchen theory"...

September 2, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

Good Morning banasy and Hamsta

How are you doing this morning ? Try as I might, they would not let me post last night, so I thought I would give you some reading material this AM.
    Hamsta, I sure am sorry to hear they are dragging their feet so badly in getting power restored. Hopefully they'll get off their duffs and do their job soon.

September 2, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I'm doing all right, Rawr.
      So far.
      Just thinking about Rascal Rabble's buttah Marsala ribs with lime...

Good afternoon, little mister.

September 2, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamsta

Good day to you Bobcat, it's nice to have some jokes to read. I'm not so sure Entergy is dragging their feet, they have alot of work to do. They do have a map that you can track the power outages with on Entergy.com. The excuses that the man came up with on tv just infuriated me, that's all. The power companies spend all that time and money makimg commercials that tell you about the dangers of power lines and this corparate moron makes the suggestion that it may be someone elses responsibility to get the trees off of the power lines. If I was his boss I would tell him to stick his finger in a light socket then fire him.

September 2, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Ohhh, funny, Rawr!

September 2, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. old golfer

I'm staying where the herds and hoards ain't. My house. Retirement is grand. Will venture out again on Tuesday, to the golf course. Peace.

September 2, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

Most people assume WWJD is for “What would Jesus do?” But the initials really stand
    for “What would Jesus drive?”

One theory is that Jesus would tool around in an old Plymouth because “the Bible says God drove Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden in a Fury.”

But in Psalm 83, the Almighty clearly owns a Pontiac and a Geo. The passage urges the
    Lord to “pursue your enemies with your Tempest and terrify them with your Storm.”

Perhaps God favors Dodge pickup trucks, because Moses' followers are warned not to go up a mountain “until the Ram's horn sounds a long blast.”

Some scholars insist that Jesus drove a Honda but didn't like to talk about it. As proof, they cite a verse in St. John's
    gospel where Christ tells the crowd, “For I did not speak of my own Accord.”

Meanwhile, Moses rode an old British motorcycle, as evidenced by a Bible passage
    declaring, “the roar of Moses' Triumph is heard in the hills.”

Joshua drove a Triumph sports car with a hole in its muffler: “Joshua's Triumph was
    heard throughout the land.” And, following the Master's lead, the Apostles car-pooled in a Honda: “The Apostles were in one Accord.”

September 2, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Umbrage©

Shows how one can interpret the Bible, no?
      I see someone has taken Umbrage© with this joke.
      Rawr, time to put your hair shirt on; a little wailing and gnashing of teeth is in order.
      You've been duly chastised.

Then come back and tell us another joke.

September 2, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

Oh gees philip, quit acting as if you are a faithful servant of lord when everyone knows you are anything but! Now why dont YOU run along!!

September 2, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Abraham

Yeah

September 2, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

Amen @ messenger, lol. But youre being a little to nice to him IMO! Lmao

September 2, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Kenneth C. Davis's opinion piece is well worth the read, and brings home the fact that Labor Day was a hard-fought battle that continues to resonate today.

May everyone's Labor Day be peaceful and happy.

September 2, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Obama Mama

Hello Banasy and Chrissy if you are still here. Have a nice holiday weekend.

September 2, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hi, Obama Mama!
      We've missed you.
      Having a great weekend; hoping you are, too.

September 2, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

Great weekend, relaxing for a change.

September 2, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

It's the Labor Day weekend, OM; relaxing is a *good* thing!

September 2, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

My granddaughter went to her other grandmother's and it is almost quiet here, my husband is off though sooooooo, lol, you cannot have everything. lol

September 2, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

Man it is quiet tonight.

September 2, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

How is chrissy? Everything going okay with her?

September 2, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

OM:
      It's very quiet here tonight.
      Chrissy is getting over a bout with the flu; but otherwise she's as Indomitable as always!
      You picked a bad time to come back, lol.
      We were all discusiing Romey's speech in Alabama on the Saturday thread, until it devolved, as always.
      Check that thread out for some interesting conversation...never a dull moment, except for tonight, that is...

September 2, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

I will and I did want to be on that night. I am sorry I missed it. lol

September 2, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ashley24

My plans? To work. I'm a RN, people get sick 24/7 365.

September 2, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

You are right, sick and injured do not wait for you to get back from vacation.

September 3, 2012 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  15. Steller's Sea Cow

Isn't ironic... thru life ... DEATH came... the women !

September 3, 2012 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |