September 4th, 2012

Mash-up: NOLA returns to abnormal

The CNN Daily Mash-up is a roundup of some of the most interesting, surprising, curious, poignant or significant items to appear on CNN.com in the past 24 hours. We top it with a collection of the day's most striking photographs from around the world.

The end of bin Laden

Former Navy SEAL Matt Bissonnette's book about the raid that killed Osama bin Laden was released Tuesday, feeding a public hungry for insider details and angering a Pentagon worried about classified information. In the book, Bissonnette (writing under the pen name Mark Owen) says he helped finish off bin Laden after the al Qaeda leader had been mortally wounded by another member of the team:

In his death throes, he was still twitching and convulsing. Another assaulter and I trained our lasers on his chest and fired several rounds. The bullets tore into him, slamming his body into the floor until he was motionless.

Ah, New Orleans

CNN iReporter Lynn Magnuson shot fun video of a ragtag group of "second line" musicians taking to the streets in the French Quarter of New Orleans after Hurricane  Isaac passed through the area.

"I was on my way home when I encountered the procession. Second lines are a part of the culture here, but several tourists on the street were quite surprised as the second line was totally spontaneous," Magnuson said. "I'm a musician myself and ended up tapping on a light pole to keep rhythm."

Crustaceans making Floridians crabby

Land crabs are walking (sideways) all over Stuart, Florida, these days, and they're getting to be a nuisance, even causing flat tires, CNN affiliate WPTV says.

"I've hit them myself. You just can't help it sometimes," resident Dennis Culver told the station. "They were all over everywhere. They were getting in the pool and all around the pool and all over the tennis court, and everybody that came to swim said, 'Oh, my gosh, there's crabs in the courtyard; there's crabs in the parking lot!' "

Here's something you don't see every day

This guy uses crutches, but he also dances and skateboards. At first you might think, "Is this really a good idea?" But once he explains what he's doing, you get it.

Are organics worth it?

CNN readers take their food seriously. They're having a healthy debate over the relative benefits of organic vs. conventional foods.

Tiffany Winn Rueckert
In reading some of the comments below, I just have to add that I am really really tired of hearing the whole "you have to be rich to eat healthy."  It's simply not true.  I happen to think that all the junk prepackaged foods take a lot more out of your pocketbook.  Check into your local farmer's markets.  You can get great deals.  Buy seconds!  You can get a whole bushel of "second" organic apples around here for $8.  Put back the frozen pizza, the cereal, the crackers, the chips and buy the dry beans, brown rice and organic fruits and vegetables.  A bag of dry beans costs under $1 and makes a huge pot that we eat and freeze for later. Rethink your shopping.  You can afford it.  And as I stated below, most farmer's markets accept government issued SNAP cards now.  The market I work at in Baltimore DOUBLES your SNAP dollars at the market.  There are all kinds of wonderful programs; not everyone takes advantage of them. Stop eating out!  You CAN eat healthy!  Stop believing the LIES!

ValerieM
I absolutely agree with you Tiffany on all counts.  Cooking our own meals from as close to their natural source as possible saves our family a TON of money.  Occasional "eating out" is reserved for birthdays and other special occasions and then is appreciated more.  There is SO much information on the internet on crock pot cooking, bulk cooking and freezing for later cooking etc. as well as any recipe you could possibly want.  I work full time and have two teenage boys at home.  We have a home cooked dinner every single night.

On the horizon: Big DNC speeches, NFL opener

Former President Bill Clinton and Massachusetts Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren will speak to delegates Wednesday at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The National Football League will open its season Wednesday night using replacement on-field officials as the league and its referees union remain at odds on a collective bargaining agreement. The Dallas Cowboys will play the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey. This will be the first NFL game to be played on a Wednesday since September 1948.

September 5 anniversaries

1774: The First Continental Congress begins in Philadelphia.

Mother Teresa

1972: Eleven members of the Israeli Olympic team are killed by members of the Palestinian terrorist group Black September at the Munich Olympics.

1975: Lynette (Squeaky) Fromme, a follower of Charles Manson, tries to shoot President Gerald Ford in Sacramento, California.

1977: The Voyager 1 spacecraft is launched to explore Jupiter and Saturn.

1997: Mother Teresa dies in Kolkata, India, at the age of 87.

2006: Katie Couric begins anchoring "CBS Evening News."

September 5 birthdays

Raquel Welch in 1966

• Comedian Bob Newhart, 83

• Singer/actress Carol Lawrence, 80

• Actor William Devane, 75

• Actress Raquel Welch, 72

• Cartoonist Cathy Guisewite, 62

• Singer/actor Dweezil Zappa, 43

• Actress Rose McGowan, 39

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Daily Mash-up
  1. Mary

I can't believe Raquel Welch is 72. I remember seeing her in a made for tv movie about womens roller derby... lol
    She's no dummy either, smart gal.

September 4, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mary

Just a thought... Is not a court of law seeking the truth? Then why would the courts not allow a known former employee of the CIA Sibel D. Edmonds to speak on the TRUTH of 911 in the victims law suits. Yet, we have this former navy seal making money off of a LIE Bushco made of 911.
    And so Americans will buy this book... contributing to the LIE once again.

September 4, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Zinnah K.

Oh my! Cant you get in trouble for saying something like that?

September 4, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ScoobyDoo

We hope everyone has a happy week.

September 4, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BOMBO ©

So-called organic foods are the biggest scam going. Any new pesticides marketed in the past couple of decades are REQUIRED to dissipate quickly. There are NO harmful residues present in foods by the time they are harvested, let alone by the time they reach your grocery store shelf. Trust me, I've been doing these analyses since the late 80's. Any formulation that fails never gets approval. But if you don't trust me, contact the EPA and USDA, the data is available if you request it. Or, live in fear, pay a premium for that fungus covered pear, I don't care.

September 4, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@BOMBO ©, I have to agree with you on so called organic products. I bought into that for awhile when my daughter was an infant and I made her baby food. Now, if you buy produce from a grocery store, wash the heck out of it, and eat it quickly or freeze if you can, you save tons of money. My local supermarket had peaches on sale for $.88 USD but they got tricky and mixed in organic peaches that went for @2.19USD, per pound. I have an eagle eye for this kind of thing and got the store manager involved. I was told, 'it was a mistake." I think not. I try to grow my own stuff when I can, only because it tastes better and I know that it hasn't been treated with pesticides. Buyer beware, especially if you are on an extreme budget and have a family to feed.

September 4, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

I have a friend who lives near Stuart, and she said the crabs were insane down there...

September 4, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zoidberg

Don't let them push you around.

September 4, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

And here in Colorado, pesticides are of no concern, as you say.
    Our native species aren't so native anymore. Our deer and elk are so diseased, the federal government outlawed Colorado wild game from being exported accross state lines many years ago. We used to export elk to France, for example.
    Our native trout...to find one that isn't diseased or cross-bred, you must pack way up into the wilderness where hardly anyone has gone.
    And the winter doesn't kill the bark beetle nor the sickly animal anymore. Thousands of acres of dead pine trees and sickly deer all scraggly looking.
    PESTICIDES. hmmphffff. 🙂

September 4, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. raven

It must be exhausting living in a world where every single facet of life is some conspiracy. Exhausting and not very happy.

September 4, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Landcrab.

September 4, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

Helloooooo raven! Hope you had a wonderful holiday. And happy birthday Dweezel Zappa!

September 4, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. raven

Ok, cnn, I get it..Hey chrissy! Hows it going? I tried to respond twice already, but apparently cnn doesn't like ANY of the Zappas or Mothers of Invention references I made. Go figure...I hope things are going well for you?

September 4, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Was one of them "why does it hurt when I – "?

I can't finish it. I don't know why. It's the internet. No one knows or cares who I am. But still...

September 4, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

I think we all learned something. Bombo can't be crude if Raven is reading. Dang it.

September 4, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

Lol @ raven, ive noticed theres many things cnn references in their articles that we cant say in a post. Dbl standards. Lmao. And SSDD here, how about yourself?

September 4, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. www.truthinlabeling.org

We are not conspiracy theorists. Surely you have some other box that you place groups of citizens concerned with that which you remain willfully ignorant of. Perhaps a closet or somewhere in the laundry room. Must you always sweep [Sibel D. Edmonds, etc] under your conspiracy rug? Like, she's a fish or a scraggly deer?

September 4, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. @Philip or Mary

Must you be so obvious.

September 4, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ug

Who cares.

September 4, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. raven

Ewww, I would never EVER sweep a fish under a rug. Pee-yoo!

September 4, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |