September 4th, 2012

Mash-up: NOLA returns to abnormal

The CNN Daily Mash-up is a roundup of some of the most interesting, surprising, curious, poignant or significant items to appear on CNN.com in the past 24 hours. We top it with a collection of the day's most striking photographs from around the world.

The end of bin Laden

Former Navy SEAL Matt Bissonnette's book about the raid that killed Osama bin Laden was released Tuesday, feeding a public hungry for insider details and angering a Pentagon worried about classified information. In the book, Bissonnette (writing under the pen name Mark Owen) says he helped finish off bin Laden after the al Qaeda leader had been mortally wounded by another member of the team:

In his death throes, he was still twitching and convulsing. Another assaulter and I trained our lasers on his chest and fired several rounds. The bullets tore into him, slamming his body into the floor until he was motionless.

Ah, New Orleans

CNN iReporter Lynn Magnuson shot fun video of a ragtag group of "second line" musicians taking to the streets in the French Quarter of New Orleans after Hurricane  Isaac passed through the area.

"I was on my way home when I encountered the procession. Second lines are a part of the culture here, but several tourists on the street were quite surprised as the second line was totally spontaneous," Magnuson said. "I'm a musician myself and ended up tapping on a light pole to keep rhythm."

Crustaceans making Floridians crabby

Land crabs are walking (sideways) all over Stuart, Florida, these days, and they're getting to be a nuisance, even causing flat tires, CNN affiliate WPTV says.

"I've hit them myself. You just can't help it sometimes," resident Dennis Culver told the station. "They were all over everywhere. They were getting in the pool and all around the pool and all over the tennis court, and everybody that came to swim said, 'Oh, my gosh, there's crabs in the courtyard; there's crabs in the parking lot!' "

Here's something you don't see every day

This guy uses crutches, but he also dances and skateboards. At first you might think, "Is this really a good idea?" But once he explains what he's doing, you get it.

Are organics worth it?

CNN readers take their food seriously. They're having a healthy debate over the relative benefits of organic vs. conventional foods.

Tiffany Winn Rueckert
In reading some of the comments below, I just have to add that I am really really tired of hearing the whole "you have to be rich to eat healthy."  It's simply not true.  I happen to think that all the junk prepackaged foods take a lot more out of your pocketbook.  Check into your local farmer's markets.  You can get great deals.  Buy seconds!  You can get a whole bushel of "second" organic apples around here for $8.  Put back the frozen pizza, the cereal, the crackers, the chips and buy the dry beans, brown rice and organic fruits and vegetables.  A bag of dry beans costs under $1 and makes a huge pot that we eat and freeze for later. Rethink your shopping.  You can afford it.  And as I stated below, most farmer's markets accept government issued SNAP cards now.  The market I work at in Baltimore DOUBLES your SNAP dollars at the market.  There are all kinds of wonderful programs; not everyone takes advantage of them. Stop eating out!  You CAN eat healthy!  Stop believing the LIES!

ValerieM
I absolutely agree with you Tiffany on all counts.  Cooking our own meals from as close to their natural source as possible saves our family a TON of money.  Occasional "eating out" is reserved for birthdays and other special occasions and then is appreciated more.  There is SO much information on the internet on crock pot cooking, bulk cooking and freezing for later cooking etc. as well as any recipe you could possibly want.  I work full time and have two teenage boys at home.  We have a home cooked dinner every single night.

On the horizon: Big DNC speeches, NFL opener

Former President Bill Clinton and Massachusetts Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren will speak to delegates Wednesday at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The National Football League will open its season Wednesday night using replacement on-field officials as the league and its referees union remain at odds on a collective bargaining agreement. The Dallas Cowboys will play the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey. This will be the first NFL game to be played on a Wednesday since September 1948.

September 5 anniversaries

1774: The First Continental Congress begins in Philadelphia.

Mother Teresa

1972: Eleven members of the Israeli Olympic team are killed by members of the Palestinian terrorist group Black September at the Munich Olympics.

1975: Lynette (Squeaky) Fromme, a follower of Charles Manson, tries to shoot President Gerald Ford in Sacramento, California.

1977: The Voyager 1 spacecraft is launched to explore Jupiter and Saturn.

1997: Mother Teresa dies in Kolkata, India, at the age of 87.

2006: Katie Couric begins anchoring "CBS Evening News."

September 5 birthdays

Raquel Welch in 1966

• Comedian Bob Newhart, 83

• Singer/actress Carol Lawrence, 80

• Actor William Devane, 75

• Actress Raquel Welch, 72

• Cartoonist Cathy Guisewite, 62

• Singer/actor Dweezil Zappa, 43

• Actress Rose McGowan, 39

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Daily Mash-up
  1. banasy©

And here I thought she was talking about landcrabs.
    They're everywhere.
    Ask Stuart.

September 4, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. raven

And yes, I do actually think there are powers that be that dont always have our interests at heart, politicians are corrupt, and some people are evil. I also think it's important to acknowledge that there IS good in the world.

September 4, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

There is *much* good in this world.
      Those who do not acknowledge that are not really living, are they?

September 4, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

I think this is a good point, but conspiracy theorists give waaaayyyyyy too much credit to these unscrupulous people for being organized enough to pull off the capers they are being accused of. But yes, I agree there are nasty people with power who often try to get away with stuff. Usually it just involves making money illegally or paying for mistresses abortions, not killing Presidents or faking moon landings.

September 4, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dazzle ©

Hello to my 3 buddies. @raven, you are right on the mark with your comment. Sometimes on these blogs we see pure evil but there is SO much good.

September 4, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

Amen @ dazzle! And you put it quite nicely raven! 😉 If someone chooses to always be miserable tis their loss!

September 4, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. US History 101a

Gn, ladies and gentlemen. Bobcat. 🙂 My moderator has arrived, and so I'll call it an evening.
    Yes. Over 400 EQs struck Southern California in 4 days last week. A 5.5 and 5.3 were registered near the city of Brawley. "Google" it. (what we used to call goto to the library microfilm archives)

September 4, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@US History- no one on here needs an education on history or any of your other lectures. I didn't see bobcat on here, so forget it.

September 4, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Gotta do that with moderation.
      Moderation is the key.

September 4, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Don't mix unless you like to vomit. And don't waste time with google, the USGS website has all that stuff, and worldwide quakes too.

September 5, 2012 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  6. US History 101a

Eqs and UV light are good. Without them, we would all be dead.
    EQs are good news to millions of people viewing them as signs of the times. So what if you die. Christians believe in the resurrection hope. 80% of US claim to believe in the christian God, Romney and Obama's God.
    And take those UV BLOCKER SUNGLASSES OFF WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO WEAR THEM TO SEE. UV blocker sunglasses are a leading cause of obesity. Really.

September 4, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. one of GODs messengers

Philip, Philip, Philip! How many times must i remind you? Mathew 7:2l-23 You are becomming one of the Lords major disappointments!

September 4, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. raven

Hey dazzle! And thank you, chrissy, dazzle and m.s. The only way to combat the dark, is to shine a light, right? You guys made my day, thank you all, again. And now, ( ahem, mi, mi, miii)
    This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine....you know the words....

September 4, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dazzle ©

Gee, I wonder where that factoid came from. I wear UV sunglasses and I am not at all obese.

September 4, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

Roflmao @ raven, my what a delightful voice you have! Sing it girl!

September 4, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. raven

I'm not either, dazzle. And in any case, I would rather have to lose some weight, than have my eyes blasted by the blinding sun.

September 4, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

I'm with you on that Raven. Driving in the blasting sun of the desert without sunglasses has caused many a wreck.

September 4, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. raven

Thanks chrissy,
    Let it shine, let it shine,
    Let it shiiiiine...

September 4, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

lmao @ dazzle, im willing to bet he pulled that *factoid* outta the same orafice as most of his other *factoids!*

September 4, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@chrissy, that's a sure bet.

September 4, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. raven

I prefer my eyeballs with retinas, thank you.

September 4, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

Forget sunscreen, in addition to the UV glasses.
    Your body and eyes needs melanoma.
    Really.

September 4, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

***the message above was intended for mature audiences only, who understand the concept of sarcasm.***

September 4, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |