September 5th, 2012

Mash-up: Moose on the loose

The CNN Daily Mash-up is a roundup of some of the most interesting, surprising, curious, poignant or significant items to appear on CNN.com in the past 24 hours. We top it with a collection of the day's most striking photographs from around the world.

Not a fan of paparazzi

Brent Olsen looked out his window in Westford, Vermont, and saw a bull moose placing a hoof on Olsen's car.

"I had run out in my shorts from the morning and I started hollering at it: 'Do not jump on my car, Mr. Moose,'" Olsen told CNN affiliate WCAX.

Once he was satisfied his car was safe, Olsen decided to shoot some video of the "cute" animal with ivy tangled in its antlers.

That's when the scene switched from a nature documentary to some kind of weird slasher movie. WCAX tells the rest of the story here.

How long can you hold your breath?

The first family, firsthand

Michelle Obama offered listeners an intimate look into how the presidency affects family dynamics and vice versa Tuesday night at the Democratic National Convention.

Well, today, after so many struggles and triumphs and moments that have tested my husband in ways I never could have imagined, I have seen firsthand that being president doesn't change who you are - it reveals who you are.

Spectacular clouds follow storm

CNN iReporter Jim Jorstad in La Crosse, Wisconsin, saw an ominous yellow glow out the window of his house on Tuesday night and raced outside to see some impressive cloud formations.

CNN meteorologist Sarah Dillingham explains the pillow-like clouds are called "mammatus" for their "breast-like" appearance. "They are a typical cloud formation that we see with active or dying thunderstorms," she said. "These clouds typically appear most impressive as the sunlight shines behind a trailing thunderstorm and reveals their incredible structure."

On the horizon: Obama acceptance speech, VMAs

President Barack Obama will accept his party's renomination with a speech on the final day of the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina.

MTV's Video Music Awards show will be broadcast live from the Staples Center in Los Angeles at 8 p.m. ET.

The funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales

1901 - President William McKinley is shot by anarchist Leon Czolgosz in Buffalo, New York; McKinley dies eight days later.

1991 - The Soviet Union recognizes the independence of Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia.

1995 - By playing in his 2,131st baseball game, Cal Ripken Jr. of the Baltimore Orioles breaks Lou Gehrig's record of most consecutive games played.

1997 - Funeral services are held for Diana, the Princess of Wales, at Westminster Abbey.

2003 - Mahmoud Abbas resigns as Palestinian prime minister.

2004 - Former President Bill Clinton has quadruple heart bypass surgery.

September 6 birthdays

Macy Gray

• Comedian Jo Anne Worley, 75

• Actress Swoosie Kurtz, 68

• Actress Jane Curtin, 65

• Comedian/actor Jeff Foxworthy, 54

• Actress Rosie Perez, 48

• Singer Macy Gray, 45

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Daily Mash-up
  1. chrissy

Lmao @ bobcat, just be glad the conversation isnt about whips and chains! Woohoo!

September 5, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. raven

Ouch BOMBO...kissing my guy when he doesn't shave for a couple DAYS is like running my chin over a cheese grater.

September 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. raven

Me tooooo, dazzle. Its a fine line,that pleasure/pain thing, yes?

September 5, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I like a bit of rugged handsomness myself.
      Hubs has a 'stache that I've never seen him without...a tasteful one, no handlebar waxed-tips...

September 5, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

You might be a redneck if...your family tree does not fork. If...your last thanksgiving dinner was ruined because you ran out of ketchup. If...your idea of a cruise is circling the dairy queen.

September 5, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Loves me some Foxworthy.

September 5, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

I was engaged to a pretty blond boy...glad I didn't marry him.
    He married some girl and then murdered his m-i-l, who was only one year older than *he* was...
    I read about it in the paper, and I was like, "dodged that bullet!"
    Nah, I'll take the hubs...he's a good, good man.

September 5, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. raven

Know what I want? Anyone?

September 5, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. BOMBO ©

Speaking of family trees that don't fork, and mustaches, there was a doc about the Hitler family the other night. Weird stuff.

September 5, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Where at, BOMBO?
      Hitler was a fascinating study of psychosis.

September 5, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

I think it was National Geographic. I had heard a lot of it before, but it was still interesting. They concentrated more on his siblings and nieces and nephews than his parents and grandparents. Like the nephew who lived on Long Island for decades with his wife and kids. I believe they took the name Houston. I still find it creepy that his grandfather and great grandfather were the same person.

September 5, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I've seen that doc before.
      It was very good; I think that given the in cest, his genes were tainted from the start...
      How bad does it get when one has AH on their family tree?

September 5, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BOMBO ©

And I had nothing to do with the maple syrup thing. That was in Quebec, thousands of miles away.

September 5, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. raven

Yes, mary? Did you have anything constructive or maybe NICE to say? Or would you like to leave your ugly barb hanging out there?

September 5, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

Speaking of nutjobs....Whats the difference between someone who is delusional and someone who is schizophrenic? Delusional people build castles in the air and schizophrenics move in and live there!

September 5, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. raven

Never mind, I dont know WHAT I was thinking...of COURSE youd rather interject a fun conversation between like minded people with a random and mean comment.

September 5, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. raven

I want a KinderEgg.

September 5, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. raven

Strike that. I want a DANG Kinder Egg.

September 5, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Oh, I keep forgetting about those KinderEggs...one of these days, I'll get to Germany just for you...

September 5, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

We have them in Canada. Just come to Canada. Actually, most countries have them. It's just the FDA in the US who are worried for some reason that children are too stupid to recognize that a plastic toy inside a hollow chocolate shell is not food.

September 5, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Really?
      You've got them in Canada?

Raven: ROAD TRIP!

September 5, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

Lmao @ raven, just consider the source.

September 5, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

K its Bill Clinton time ttyl.

September 5, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |