September 5th, 2012

Mash-up: Moose on the loose

The CNN Daily Mash-up is a roundup of some of the most interesting, surprising, curious, poignant or significant items to appear on CNN.com in the past 24 hours. We top it with a collection of the day's most striking photographs from around the world.

Not a fan of paparazzi

Brent Olsen looked out his window in Westford, Vermont, and saw a bull moose placing a hoof on Olsen's car.

"I had run out in my shorts from the morning and I started hollering at it: 'Do not jump on my car, Mr. Moose,'" Olsen told CNN affiliate WCAX.

Once he was satisfied his car was safe, Olsen decided to shoot some video of the "cute" animal with ivy tangled in its antlers.

That's when the scene switched from a nature documentary to some kind of weird slasher movie. WCAX tells the rest of the story here.

How long can you hold your breath?

The first family, firsthand

Michelle Obama offered listeners an intimate look into how the presidency affects family dynamics and vice versa Tuesday night at the Democratic National Convention.

Well, today, after so many struggles and triumphs and moments that have tested my husband in ways I never could have imagined, I have seen firsthand that being president doesn't change who you are - it reveals who you are.

Spectacular clouds follow storm

CNN iReporter Jim Jorstad in La Crosse, Wisconsin, saw an ominous yellow glow out the window of his house on Tuesday night and raced outside to see some impressive cloud formations.

CNN meteorologist Sarah Dillingham explains the pillow-like clouds are called "mammatus" for their "breast-like" appearance. "They are a typical cloud formation that we see with active or dying thunderstorms," she said. "These clouds typically appear most impressive as the sunlight shines behind a trailing thunderstorm and reveals their incredible structure."

On the horizon: Obama acceptance speech, VMAs

President Barack Obama will accept his party's renomination with a speech on the final day of the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina.

MTV's Video Music Awards show will be broadcast live from the Staples Center in Los Angeles at 8 p.m. ET.

The funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales

1901 - President William McKinley is shot by anarchist Leon Czolgosz in Buffalo, New York; McKinley dies eight days later.

1991 - The Soviet Union recognizes the independence of Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia.

1995 - By playing in his 2,131st baseball game, Cal Ripken Jr. of the Baltimore Orioles breaks Lou Gehrig's record of most consecutive games played.

1997 - Funeral services are held for Diana, the Princess of Wales, at Westminster Abbey.

2003 - Mahmoud Abbas resigns as Palestinian prime minister.

2004 - Former President Bill Clinton has quadruple heart bypass surgery.

September 6 birthdays

September 5, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mary

Not me @ 9:39
    Gn all

September 5, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. CNN, I am disappoint

I came here hoping for some mashed potatoes.

*sigh*

September 5, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. raven

I'm not being a smarty face when I ask how is grampa and g grampa the same guy?? I had never heard that til tonight..

September 5, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. raven

I feel like Snow White again. I'm sitting on the back deck and six deer just jumped the fence into the yard and there are three hummingbirds directly over my head cuz I'm sitting under the feeder...last week there was a bearded dragon in the yard! Of course that HAD to have been an escaped pet from the neighborhood, but still, very cool.

September 5, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Do you sing in that same saccharine voice she did, raven?
      I hope not, lol...

September 5, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. raven

I know right, dazzle? I was born and raised in coastal towns so I do miss being right on the water, but there are two rivers within half a mile from the house and the confluence is also within walking distance...I wish I had a pool, or even a pond, but right now we are broke from buying the house and building the shop.maybe some day....

September 5, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

Kenny Rogers
    A loser? Not necessarily. Sucking Pabst may cause you to lose credibility. I am from the Beer Capitol, and drink Miller Genuine Draft, amidst all the Ohio Budweiser suckers, which I guess makes me a loser.

September 5, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BOMBO ©

Coyotes are becoming a major urban pest. I feel more sorry for the coyotes in parks where the wolves have reestablished. They're getting brutalized there.

September 5, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

Awww my lil cutie patootie, i havent left, i am just listening to Bill Clintons speech right now. Ill be back shortly. And then i wanta hear about the *bearded dragon* in ravens yard. Lmfao!

September 5, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. raven

Ah, rocky point. Had some very fun times at rocky point...is it still a spring break mecca? It's been like fifteen years...

September 5, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. raven

I gotta make some grub, but I will be back to tell you the fascinating bearded dragon story, chrissy. Be nice, everybody...no " ravens got a mean bearded dragon" comments....

September 5, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BOMBO ©

Raven, I forget exactly how it went, but I believe it was something like this:

Adolf's grandma had a cild out of wedlock. She had him registered as Alois Stucklegruber, or something, whatever her last name was. Alois's birth certificate stated father unknown.

18 years later her aunt died. She then married her Uncle, whose last name was Hitler (Uncle by marriage, but still creepy).

Alois's birth certificate was amended to name the father as the creepy Uncle, and Alois's last name changed to Hitler. The implication of course was that this creepy Uncle had been having relations with his wife's niece all along.

Alois then married a young Hitler woman, who was coincidentally granddaughter of the same creepy Uncle.

The actual story may have been somewhat different, but that is how I remember hearing it. Creepy and confusing.

September 5, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

Lol. Yeah, okay.
    You go ahead and conquer the little world under your bridge...have a great time.

September 5, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

Most AWESOME speech! Look out Republicans! Bill Clinton ROCKS!

September 5, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |