September 11th, 2012

China sends patrol ships to islands at center of dispute with Japan

Two Chinese patrol ships have arrived near a disputed set of islands in the East China Sea that Japan has announced plans to bring under public ownership, Chinese state media said Tuesday.

The state-run Xinhua news agency reported that the two vessels from China Marine Surveillance had "reached the waters around the Diaoyu Islands," which Japan calls the Senkaku Islands.

The marine surveillance agency has "drafted an action plan for safeguarding the sovereignty" of the islands and will "take actions pending the development of the situation," Xinhua reported, citing unidentified sources at the agency.

FULL STORY

Filed under: World
  1. raven

I'm confused. The islands are privately owned, but China doesn't recognize or acknowledge that?What is the consensus of the international community?

September 11, 2012 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Not me @8:47.
      You shall never get it right.

I don't get it either, raven.
      Who has been governing these islands?
      If they're self-governing, what the heck? A hostile takeover?

September 11, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. BOMBO ©

Fake. Not me.

September 11, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  3. Captain Nemo

You congenital pacifists always amaze me. More and more people competing for fewer and fewer resources won't become violent? It already has. Chinese warships have already confronted the India navy a dozen times over the summer. A Chinese frigate chasing Filipinos from a Philippine Island ran aground mid July. China doesn't want the rocks, reefs, or shoals, they want the twelve mile territorial waters and fifty mile economic exclusion zone that go with the rocks. The US Navy kept the seas safe for sixty years, until 0bama's emasculation program of unilateral disarmament. Get it? US weakness increases threats.

September 11, 2012 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

While all these years, I thought the US Navy's purpose was to project our political power world wide. This dispute is more of a nationalist power play involving several unoccupied "islands" that happen to lie in the middle of a potentially large undersea oil field. How ridiculous would it be to send a battle group to protect a couple of rocks?

September 11, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ Capt Nemo

How is a dispute over an island, specifically between Ja pan and China, indicating a weakness of the US ? You're anti-Obama rant really has no bearing on this situation.
    What you are indicating is whenever someone threatens someone else, we should automatically flex our muscles at them. This has nothing to with us.

September 11, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

When a post starts out "You congenital pacifists always amaze me.", one knows that it's not going to be good...

Now I know that these islands are unoccupied.
      The first "the more you know" moment of the day.

September 11, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

Good morning to you banasy

It amazes me how some people can take "any" sublect and turn it into a political rant involving the US. I mean, there could be a story with a headline like "Bozo the Clown has a Hangnail ", and the next thing you know it'll be a conspiracy perpetrated by the US government.
      And I always thought I had a wild imagination.

September 11, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Good morning, bobcat.
      I always wanted to just write the word "shoehorn", which, for some reason, is a word I find hysterically funny...
      See what they can par se from that.

September 11, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

If a "shoe"horn was a musical instrument, the band would play with a lot of "sole".

September 11, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Lol@bobcat...made my day!

September 11, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

September 11, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

Once upon a time, there was an island where all the feelings lived: Happiness, Sadness, Knowledge, and all of the others including Love. One day it was announced to the feelings that the island would sink, so all repaired their boats and left.

Love wanted to persevere until the last possible moment. When the island was almost sinking, Love decided to ask for help. Richness was passing by Love in a grand boat. Love said, "Richness, can you take me with you?" Richness answered, "No, I can't. There is a lot of gold and silver in my boat. There is no place here for you."
    Love decided to ask Vanity who was also passing by in a beautiful vessel, "Vanity, please help me!" "I can't help you Love. You are all wet and might damage my boat." Vanity answered. Sadness was close by so Love asked for help, "Sadness, let me go with you." "Oh.... Love, I am so sad that I need to be by myself!" Happiness passed by Love too, but he was so happy that she did not even hear when Love called her!
    Suddenly, there was a voice, "Come Love, I will take you." It was an elder. Love felt so blessed and overjoyed that he even forgot to ask the elder his name. When they arrived at dry land, the elder went his own way.
    Love realizing how much he owed the elder and asked Knowledge, another elder, "Who helped me?" "It was Time," Knowledge answered. "Time?" asked Love. "But why did Time help me?" Knowledge smiled with deep wisdom and answered, "Because, only Time is capable of understanding how great Love is."

September 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kenney

@bobcat iah awesome ! Perfect for the days end thank you!

September 12, 2012 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |