Comments: Hope, inspiration born from tragedy 11 years after 9/11
CNN iReporter Rachel Cauvin shared this photo of twin beams of light shining over New York in honor of 9/11.
September 11th, 2012

Comments: Hope, inspiration born from tragedy 11 years after 9/11

Editor's note: We're listening to you. Every day, we spot thought-provoking comments from readers. What follows is a look at some of the posts we noticed today.

As we look back on the September 11 attacks, the now-traditional twin beams of light seem to draw an 11 in the sky over New York. iReporter Rachel Cauvin shared the above image 11 years since this defining moment in U.S. history. We're hearing from readers on a variety of stories about this day.

Elizabeth and Stephen Alderman wrote an opinion article about their youngest child, Peter, who died on 9/11 at age 25. They established the Peter C. Alderman Foundation in his honor in 2003. We heard from several readers who were touched by the story.

After 9/11, how we honor our son's memory

Some could sadly relate and found hope from the story.

14thetruth: "We suddenly lost our son Bobby yesterday due to a senseless accident. He died a little after 9 a.m. He was 26 and was a wonderful husband, father and son. He leaves behind a wife and three children under 3 years old. Bobby had just started a promising business. Your story is an inspiration for us carry on our son's work in his spirit and honor and a compass to guide us to do good for all. Thank you."

JenLaw: "The family is in my heart and prayers. I also lost a son this year who was in his young 20's. I set up a scholarship in his name and it brings me joy. It is what he would have wanted. It is a wonderful thing you are doing and bless your hearts."

Others said they found inspiration.

kgh98: "May God bless this good and generous family. They could solely have been consumed in their grief but instead found a way to create a lasting legacy to their son's life. Such a selfless and courageous act. The world needs more people like this.

kim osborne: "I admire this family and their efforts to help people live a happy life. A lot of people say one person cannot make a difference; this is proof that one person can and has!"

Then there's the story of Marine Cpl. Juan Dominguez, who lost three limbs in an explosion in Afghanistan.

Triple-amputee veteran gets 'smart' home on September 11

The 28-year-old veteran was scheduled to get a "smart" home on September 11, and he also received a lot of hopeful comments from readers.

1musicman: "He is a true patriot and is deserving of the home that the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation is providing to him and his family. I'm glad to see times changing and the vets are being taken care of."

CanadianinLA: "This is the best story of the day! I hope that this brave man and his brave family enjoy their new home!"

Chichetr: "I flew Huey slicks in Vietnam from 5/'68 to 5/'69. I saw thousands of our boys get killed or horribly disfigured during my time in the Nam. After going into dozens and dozens of hot LZs to drop new 'bodies' only to be loaded up with the dead or horribly wounded, I can safely say that the war has scarred me and the others who were with me forever. Our war wasn't over when we came home. I've had people spit in my face and call me names that I wouldn't dare repeat. I sincerely hope that more of our boys returning home get the same treatment as this young man who gave everything but his life."

What do you think? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Comments • September 11 • U.S.
  1. RevNowWhileWeCan

Please explain how how "hope and inspiration" are born from a tragedy 11 years ago when the tragedy is even worse now?? 5k + American's dead. Hundreds of thousands of Afghan's dead for no reason. Almost 2m Iraqi's dead for no reason. Where is the hope and inspiration from veterans being "disappeared", illegal indefinite detention, the killing of American citizens without habeas corpus and having my junk massaged every time I go to see my family? Sorry if I don't see hope and inspiration. I only witness grope and frustration.

September 11, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • nsaidi

Appreciate your comment. Believe me, we're not saying the world is all puppies and unicorns; just pointing out that our readers found some bright spots after years of the otherwise bleak memories of September 11. We're doing this post for our readers, and highlighting some of their comments. You bring up a good point, of course, and that is another way of looking at this situation. And ya know, maybe tomorrow we can look at other aspects. This post is for you.

September 12, 2012 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Just a question: revnow:
    Did you read the comments in this article?

September 11, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • RevNowWhileWeCan

banasy,
      Yes and there are some people that were victimized by that tragic day that had happy endings and I am truly happy that a few people could draw some hope and inspiration from their experience. However, all the flag waving and happy ending stories leaves me mad. I don't want to sound insensitive but the MSM seems to report "remember this," "never forget" that while millions have and are still losing their lives because of this reason. I know you've lost and I would never in a million years try and diminish that fact but A LOT of people want answers and nobody in the MSM wants to ask about it. I wish nothing but love and light and you and your lost ones will be in my prayers tonight but I cannot sit idly by while the MSM refuses to ignore these issues. I feel I have to do this. Even today. Especially today. I know we have a different style and have some differences in opinions but I think, in the end, we both want the same peaceful outcome. We all have our path and this is mine. Know that I would never intentionally be disrespectful (unless they try and get me first, then you know how I get) and anything I say comes from the heart and I mean it with love. I speak with a broken heart filled with love and nothing else. 🙂 <3

September 11, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • RevNowWhileWeCan

With that said, I'm done for tonight. I love you and sweet dreams........................................

September 11, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

You can either waste the rest of your life in grief, or you can forgive and heal. I chose the latter and i know thats what my sister wouldve wanted me to do.

September 11, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

Rev:
    I meant for the "hope and inspiration" part.
    As long as there is a Sepetember 11 on the calendar, I don't think MSM is going to *not* bring it up, but these comments are to bring hope and inspiration to America, not illustrate what's wrong with it; we get that every other day on the calandar.
    Knowhatimean?
    XO

September 11, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Sure wish I knew how to post without leaving a comment...
    That would be useful.

September 11, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pete

@banasy,boy are you so comical today,are you trying to unseat Bobcat.Those are definitly big shoes to fill.Take care ,have a good day !!

September 12, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@Pete:
      I could never unseat bobcat.
      That's an impossibility.
      Have a great day yourself! 🙂

September 12, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  6. Kenny Rogers

Hello to all of my friends in blog land. I'm disgusted by all of the negativity that is coming out around the globe. I love you guys.

September 11, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. BOMBO ©

I'm not going to get into a lengthy arguement with some on here against the 911 consiracy talk. I've heard it all. I've also read the rebuttals and seen the half truths and flat out lies ezposed. We have the means in this society to gather the information and see the truth. Start with Popular Mechanics' fine work on this topic. You can find it online. The CBC did an excellent doc, so did a number of other reputable News sources. Try googling "911 myths debunked" and see where it takes you. I really have grown weary of this. It's not even funny like bigfoot and aliens. There are people among us who have lost loved ones and are seriously hurt by these lies.

September 11, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. iconoclast1

I can see it now. I'll have the bin Laden special – two tacos and a bean burrito.

September 11, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. raven

C' mon people now,
    Smile on your brother.
    Everybody get together
    Try to love one another
    Right now.

A little sappy, but sometimes a little sap is a good thing.

September 11, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. raven

Buffalo springfield I think.can't member for sure tho.

September 12, 2012 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  11. raven

Yup, you guys are right. Youngbloods. Hey dazzle.

September 12, 2012 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  12. raven

Teeth brushed?
    Check.
    Deodorant?
    Check.
    Shampoo?
    Check.
    Eyebrows tweezed?
    Ahhh...

September 12, 2012 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  13. helen haight

WHY? Why would you put Ari Fliescher on to comment on the events leading up to 9/11
    How insulting to the audience and especially to the familiies of the 9/11 victims.
    We had to listen to Ari Fliescher lies the whole time he was President George W. Bushes Press Secretary...or don't you recall that? Talk about amnesia on the part of the public......CNN has dementia!

September 12, 2012 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  14. Pete

I feel honored today as always to be an American.I myself a caretaker for a son involved in a motorcycle/ auto accident,he's resonding well after an 8 month coma.So life is good because I've been on both sides of the bed,once as a stage 4 cancer fighter being cared for, is a survivor now and now full time caretaker .But as you all know politics aside life goes on..My prayers go out to all that have lost someone no matter the consequences,its hard enough getting along in life before losing someone,so keep a place in your heart for them,it does make living a little bit easier,God Bless and have a great day!And those lights on the memorial are just breathtaking,puts some hope in your heart that life is getting better no matter what!!!

September 12, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. saywhat

Good morning all.
    Hope and Inspiration to replace hate,fear and paranoia. Wish that had happened.
    couldn't shake off thoughts dwelling on the victims of 9/11 and its aftermath till wee hours of the morn.
    A young banker only son of a family we knew then, newly married, wife a few months pregnant -Tariq Osman. Father died soon after grieving.
    We were the lucky ones our son worked in the Financial Center. His train stopped just a couple blocks blocks from his destination. Passengers ordered to evacuate as the second aircraft had already crashed into the towers. running for their lives seeing the bldgs come down. We didn't know his fate till late in the evening. A painful day filled with anguish as we suffered with thousands others.

September 12, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |