September 14th, 2012

Source: Tentative deal reached in Chicago teachers' strike

A tentative deal has been reached in the dispute between the Chicago Teachers Union and the city's school board, a source with detailed knowledge of the negotiations said Friday.

Students - who've been out of school since teachers began striking Monday - will be back  in the classroom on Monday, according to the source.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Education • Illinois
  1. sweetpea

I do not understand the USA. We have never been liked by any of the Mid East countries, they continue to take our money and suck us dry, will not help us in anyway, yet our smart and weathly politicians see no problem with extending the money funnel to them. Lets settle the problem, make the mid east the largest piece of glass that can be seen from space. I'm retired and probably will never see another increase in my Social Security benefits again.

Its time we Americans to wake up and get with a new program. Replace all the politicians in Washington.Every year one of those in office comes up for re-electioin, vote a new one in. Within six years we could have a whole new Crongress, Senate and House. They no longer live in reality. Look up the BENEFIT PACKAGE THE ALL RECIEVE,
    I'll be you have no idea what they recieve or what they will recieve once they are out of office.

No wonder we're in the shape were in, they give all our tax money away. No one gives us money

September 14, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • whitepine

Maybe if you looked at our history in the Middle East, we'd find that we have flip flop our policies and our loyalites so much to the leaders of these countries that the man on the street does not trust us nor want us.

September 14, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

I would agree to term limits...but by the time anyone became a decent legislator, they'd have to leave office. I would be happy to see a President serve one term of six or seven years. Senators one term of eight years and house members, one term of six years. As a group they'd get more done without having to campaign and if they misbehaved they could be recalled by a 2/3 state vote...My two cents? !

September 14, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • yoda

Thank You Portland tony... I agreed

September 14, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

I have been a proponent of term limits in Congress, as well as slashing their bennies.
    The belt-tightening they expect of Americans should start with *them*.

I am glad that the strike seems to be settled.
    That was relatively fast.
    I have seen some teacher strikes in the suburbs go for weeks.

September 14, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ALEXANDER

Wake up!!Don't be fooled, Muslim=Destruction of human moral

September 14, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • timinfla

islaaaam is a cancer and a religion of violence and hate

September 14, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ALEXANDER

It is funny they kill us when we try to help them!! we bring them here gave them every freedom a human can get but we r not even allowed to carry a bible in their desert land!! It is time to wake up America!!

September 14, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • whitepine

We insulted these people, their God and religion. And you wonder why they are angry? Besides, our money probably did not help the man on the street, just the government and their rich friends.. So these people probably owe us nothing.

September 14, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

Students I went to school with, incl. myself, didn't have a clue about "teacher strikes". To US back then, it's an incomplete sentence. Teacher strikes out...now THAT we were familiar with. See, back in the 60s and 70s during the se xual revolution and with mind-altering drugs just now becoming readily available thanks to captured Nazi pharmaceuticals technology, purty much everyone was having plenty of extra se x. Including teachers with students and students with teachers. But mostly neighbors with ea. others wives.
    I can't imagine growing up and knowing that at any time...Teacher Strike. It seems foreign to me somehow. And imagine growing up knowing AIDS is the penalty instead of crabs. Yeesh. How do you kids cope?

September 14, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

...or having a football coach eyeballing your ass. How do you kids cope? I would have the heebie jeebies so bad, I wouldn't be able to catch the football !!!

September 14, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mary

The pressure on students and teachers is greater by far than in my day. I certainly wouldn't have a child in these times. As for the strike... I haven't heard any real solutions to students basic comprehention of reading, writing, and math skills being improved, only teachers pocket books.

September 14, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. aaron eichenlaub

This is so far beyound Obama's capability as I have found so many things are. I voted for Obama in 2008. This was a mistake based on the fantacy of his words. If anyone votes for this man based on the reality of his actions in 2012 there just an idot.

September 14, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. If I change my name will mods print me now??

I was happy to hear that the Leaders of the Muslim Britherhood have said that the protesters in the middle east "dont represent us or the PPL of the middle east". To me it sounds as though they realize this is the work of extremists and really want these problems resolved. I feel there IS hope we can all get past this awful situation and work toward Peace between our Countries.

September 14, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. If I change my name will mods print me now??

Ps. Sorry, I guess I am off topic.

September 14, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. schnitzelwurst

Insanity: the behavior of repeating the same action over agagain, and expecting different results.

September 15, 2012 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  12. RUFFNUTT ( D.M.I. ALLIANCE LOGISTICS OFFICER )

i need deut.. anyone got any?

September 15, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  13. Obama Mama

We will not tax the wealthy but we will plunder the pensions from teachers, SS from the seniors, and medicare from the disabled.

September 15, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  14. Obama Mama

@ Albert, wish I had an account in the Cayman's or the money to put into it. The only people getting wage increases are the CEO's who made the rules, ruined the economy, or who know how to bet against America in the stock market.

September 15, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

Not me @ 9:11, not dazzle @ 9:12.
    Please rid us of imposters.

September 15, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |