Comments: 'Holding the phone wrong' or 'iMiss Steve Jobs'? Seeds of Apple discontent
Tamsyn Vohradsky holds up her iPhone 5 after becoming the first to get it at a store in Sydney, Australia.
September 21st, 2012

Editor's note: We're listening to you. Every day, we spot thought-provoking comments from readers. We're featuring a few of our favorites here. Be sure to participate in the mobile photo challenge on Saturday, September 22,  part of Our Mobile Society.

If you're Apple, there's good news, and there's bad news.

iPhone 5: The wait is over

First, the good news: You sold a bunch of iPhone 5s, and people lined up or ordered online. We received more than 20 iReports from excited customers showing us overnight campouts and people who queued for several days. Veenu Aishwarya of Philadelphia went to an Apple store just to experience the scene.

Veenu: "It was my first such event to witness an iPhone launch at an Apple store. Although, I was not in line for the iPhone, I was equally excited just to see all the smiling faces and the level of energy and enthusiasm among Apple fans."

Some CNN.com readers said they are happy with their Apple products.

Xeres: "My iPhone 5 is waiting for me at home. No waiting in a line needed."

icharliem2: "I'd used Apple products for 30 years. Never had a major problem. A lot of times what you get is more than what you can see. Never heard many people who switched to Apple products say they're bad. Only those who've never owned one. Are they the best in all things ? I don't think so, but their integration of hardware and software is better than anyone else and keeps getting better."

And now, the bad news. We saw quite a bit of backlash among our commenters.

Eddie Francis: "I hope the people in the photo are happier human beings now, seeing they just bought a phone. What an achievement."

What would animals, or aliens, say about us as a species?

AnywhereElse: " 'Humans can be so silly.' –Pigeons worldwide observing the Apple lines"

maxemoose36: " 'Silly ... for me to poop on!' –Triumph (the insult comic dog)"

agent13: "My name is Zoltar from the planet Ux. Upon visiting your lovely planet all the locals told me I should try this Apple, that it was awesome. You were right. It's very delicious, except for the outer case. It tends to get stuck in my teeth."

A debate took place about other companies' products.

justcause1: "I am an iPhone user, generation 4, my wife bought her Galaxy S3 and I can tell you it is light years ahead of the iPhone 5, now wait, there is a Galaxy S4 coming out in February. It is going to make iPhone 5 look like old technology. You wonder why Apple is having a fit over the Samsung smartphone success, Apple is all marketing."

DingGate: "I think it's packaged better than my old Android. I can pick up my girlfriend's iPhone and figure out how to do pretty much whatever I need. Most people are lost when they pick up my phone. Same with PC vs. Macs. I could always figure out a Mac pretty easily. I could do more on my PC, but I had to learn how to do it."

This of course led to some arguing about the arguing.

Keva Phipps: "I don't understand the Apple hatred. If you don't like them, just move on. Sitting on a message board spewing about a product doesn't exactly make you a 'winner,' people. If we want to wait in lines for iPhones, midnight movies, or TV's on Black Friday, what's it to you? Why does it even matter? Answer that question."

breakmyrustycage: "What's it to me? I get enjoyment out of watching you make a fool of yourself by overspending on an already outdated technology while all the time thinking you are on the cutting edge. Pick up a Samsung GS3 instead and you'll have more cred."

Enough of the bad; now for the ugly. Readers mostly groused about the new iOS6 maps app.

Users: Apple iOS 6 maps are a mess

Several readers referred to a joke coined during the iPhone 4 era's so-called antenna-gate.

casprd: "Come on now. There is nothing wrong with the maps. You're just holding the phone wrong."

This reader was not at all impressed.

Chindokae: "Yesterday I updated two iPads to IOS 6. At first I thought the new Maps app was some kind of practical joke. In Google Maps I can see my apartment windows and 70-cm satellite dish. On Apple maps the whole city is just a multicolored blob of very bad 100-meter resolution imagery 10-20 years out of date. This is the most ridiculous excuse for a GIS app I have ever seen."

Nicholas Weiner: "Apple was way too obsessed with distancing themselves from Google for their maps software, and have pretty much confirmed my commitment to Android devices for the foreseeable future."

Is it because of Steve Jobs?

sidart: "iMiss Steve Jobs! Without him, it's getting messy."

The man who jumped out of a monorail and into a Bronx Zoo tiger pit became part of the discussion. Zoo staff used a fire extinguisher to keep away a nearby tiger; the man is in critical condition. Readers wondered what got the man there in the first place.

Tazkven: "Must had been using Apple's new iOS6 maps on the iPhone 5."

commongrnd: "Siri: 'Concession stands are to your lower right, please exit the car now.' "

One reader had a theory about Apple's "rubber band" effect, which gives apps an elastic scrolling feel. It's a thought-provoking point.

Ed Edvil: "Not a techie, but I suspect the distorted maps got the effect from Apple's 'rubber band' patent. They won the lawsuit against Samsung on it. As I see it, stretching a rubberband will have a bouncing effect, but stretching landscapes won't do. Bridges will collapse, roads will curve because they're not elastic, the 3-D topology goes wacky with rubber bands."

So what fruit is Apple now?

PUNEET KUMAR: "Time to rename Apple as Orange. The Amazing iOS6 Maps gone horribly wrong. Steve Jobs would have never released this app at present condition."

akdesert: "As a former Apple fan, I think Lemon is more appropriate. A company driven by greed and desire to destroy competitors is not visionary. They are masterful at marketing and the sheeple eat it up. If they released new iPhones every month, I imagine many of these sheeple would buy every new release. Apple is laughing all the way to the bank."

What do you think? What's your take on smartphone technology? Comment below or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Comments • Our Mobile Society • Technology • U.S.
  1. bobcat (in a hat)©

A man walks in a bar with his iphone...
    He suddenly realises he needs to fart.
    He logs into Itunes and ups the volume thinking 'the music is loud no one will hear'
    So he farts...
    When he looks around, everyone's staring at him
    Then he realises...
    He was listening to his iphone with headphones.

September 22, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Lol.
      You DO have one for every topic, Rawr!

September 22, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

Just what I needed a bobcat joke. I miss you guys but enjoying my time in Europe.

September 22, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hey, babe!
      What are you doing here??
      Dang, I wish I were with you; I'm waaaaay bored today!
      Go ENJOY yourself!!

September 22, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Absolut Lee

Drug addicts don't get along.
    For many years, Americans have been spending more on drugs than on national defense. (America maintains the mightiest military in world history... to give you an idea of the expense)
    That one nation could consume so many millions of pounds of drugs without long-term side effects would be silly to even suppose.
    And get this: 15% of US consume over 80% of the drugs US consumes.
    Are you a 15%er?

September 22, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@banasy, I'm waiting for my friend to join me for a cafe', then we will soak up some culture. I wish you could be here! What I love about this country is there are no LOUD talkers on cell phones.

September 22, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@dazzle:
      Yeah, that's pretty rampant...as if I want to know every little detail about people's "important" life...

September 22, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Absolut Lee

Think about that 15% of US for a moment. How can such a small % of our citizenry afford 80% of all drugs consumed?
    They can't.
    And so they rob and steal.
    And so they file for State disability even though if they just sobered-up and went to work, everything would be ok. If they get denied, they sue and win. And now the taxpayer buys their drugs for them.
    And so they live off of welfare for their entire lives, and the taxpayer pays for their drugs.
    Once the CIA rounds-up all these folks, America will be much prettier.

September 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. 1608

it's a phone people only a phone.hy buy one every two years?

September 22, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Bobcat, another joke, please?

September 22, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Hamsta

Android is better.

September 22, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Hamsta

Apple sucks, pc beat them in them 90's and android will beat them in them new millenium. It's all because of that propeitary crap. Sure apple Iphone is more stable than my android, but I can do so much more with my android than you can do with and Iphone. My samsung galaxy prevail( 2 year old technology) can do more than and Iphone 5. It's does everything and Iphone can do and here is some things you can't do with and Iphone. I can download music for free, I have a metal detector, a tv remote, a night vision camera, a carpenter's level, it's can tell me them exact distance of and object from them camera lens in both metric and American, I can charge my phone by shaking it's ( put them phone in your pocket and tap your foot while listening to music and your phone will actually charge). All of these apps on my phone are FREE in them apps market.

September 22, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. talkic.com

way to go sheep...how many more iphone "revolutions" are people going to fall for?

September 22, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bsw614

i had great respect for Apple until today and now I understand the loss with Steve Jobs death. I got my 64Gb new iphone 5 after staying up all night to preorder etc. Today I took it with me to the gym to use the aerobic playlist I use every day. i found that I could not change songs since the headphone jack under the iphone made it impossible to rest it on the shelf without everything being upside down. That image could not rotate. I tried to rest in horizontally and found that i just got albums, no playlist. So if you want to use a playlist anywhere the phone has to stand vertically you have to use it upside down. i checked with three people at Apple and all this was confirmed. The senior advisor said something inane like people working on biceps preferred the headphone jack being at the bottom. Nonsense. Moreover the market for people using the iphone during cardio is far larger than those who use it working on biceps! So after all the hoopla i am taking the damn phone back. i am sure Steve Jobs would have thought this through better.

September 22, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ಠ_ಠ

Shame on CNN for breaking that promise to our ambassador's grieving family just hours after they got his body back.
    And shame on you again for stealing it from the embassy. That might be a federal felony. Don't drop the soap!
    And shame on you yet again for rummaging through his journal like a bunch of kids giggling over stealing their big sister's diary. That journal wasn't yours in the embassy. It belonged to the Ambassador. That embassy was not closed but remains as our embassy. We have not stopped all diplomatic communications with that country.
    And the Ambassador deserved respect. He's dead. His journal belongs to his family, yet you spread around what was inside. You might want to practice holding onto a bar of soap, because you're gonna need it to clean out your love tunnel when everyone is through with you.
    Get rid of the people who thought this was okay. Then maybe you can be forgiven.
    Your ratings don't need you to steal federally protected items from a government office.
    They don't need you to violate the privacy of a guy who gave his life for our country to make a buck.
    And they sure don't need you to break a promise to the grieving family, but you did that too.

September 23, 2012 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  11. joseph f

9/22/2012. "ALL" I want is for CNN to provide us with DAILY, IN-DEPTH DISCUSSIONS regarding OUR COUNTRIES POLITICAL AND SOCIAL CONFUSION!!!! Jesse Ventura, although he may be "radical", is a man with A BOLD VOICE!!! On "Piers Morgan" tonight, Ventura brought up points about OUR government that MUST BE ADDRESSED ENTIRELY!!! The idea of our government having the ability TO LIE IS NOT FAIR TO ANYONE!!! TRUE OR NOT, THE TRUTH MUST BE ESTABLISHED!!! I see many Americans with brilliant minds debating subjects that MUST BE RESOLVED!!! CNN MUST PROVIDE THESE CONCLUSIONS TO US AS THE AMERICAN PUBLIC!!! Agree of Disagree??? WE NEED TO DECIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 23, 2012 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  12. phil

Scuse me? Jesse Ventura is anything but a "brilliant mind" @joseph 1:11AM. He is little more than a neanderthal helping the Illuminati hide. He pretends to be exposing the New World Order just like Alex Jones...neither ever mention the really damning evidence. Ditto Michael Moore's laughable "expose'" Farenheit 9/11 that too left-out the solid and convincing evidence.
    If you want to know the truth you will have to dig for it yourself. TV jugheads are only going to water it down. Don't listen to them.

September 23, 2012 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mary

And America's investment in foods is showing up in their waste-lines, rising medical care costs, and the 40% of wasted food. Yet America keeps on crying rising prices on food, clothes, or paying more at the pump.
    All three contribute to this in vicious cycle of abuse on our health.
    People long ago lived with out crude and can again.
    America has been just too lulled into a comfortable lifestyle I guess.

September 23, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

What people do with their money is of no concern to anyone except the person spending that money.
    If people want to go and spend $500 for the latest Iphone, let them.
    To get into arguments over it seems just a tad silly...but then I just don't care.
    I'm happy with my phone, which does what it's designed to do: make calls.
    My sister bought the Ip5; she seems satisfied with it, so who am I to judge what she does with money she earned?

September 23, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat (in a hat)©

A football coach was asked his secret of evaluating his new recruits. "Well," he said, "I take 'em out in the woods and make 'em run. The ones that run round the trees, I make into running backs. The ones that run straight into the trees, I turn into linemen."

September 23, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |