September 24th, 2012

U.N. to spotlight Syrian civil war as bloodshed mounts daily

As diplomats from around the world converge on New York for the U.N. General Assembly this week, the Syrian civil war - and what to do about the country's embattled regime - will be high on the agenda.

Some of the main goals are "to increase pressure and to increase the isolation of the regime of al-Assad," German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle said. Germany holds the rotating presidency of the U.N. Security Council this month.

But if history repeats itself, talks about Syria at the United Nations won't necessarily amount to effective action at the world body.

Many countries decry what they say is the Syrian government's cruel, violent treatment of civilians, and some have issued sanctions against the Syrian government.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Syria • World
  1. George

Violent protests across a dozen Middle East countries over a blasphemous youtube video posted by an Egyptian expat, and nary a word on Assad slaughtering thousands of innocents. Hmmm. Stunned silence, @saywhat? Go ahead and give us your best "Islam is a religion of peace, it's America's fault" spin for the day, our resident well-travelled non-bigot just like Mark Twain man of the world.

September 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Sanctions have done nothing.
    Assad doesn't care.

September 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hetman Ute

I have been seeing signs of secret decisions since the Syrian massacres began. There is quite a lot that is more than just a little "fishy" about this whole mess that smells.

September 24, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sanction inner city USA

Much blood is being spilled in Syria, but not as much blood as is spilled nightly on our own inner city streets.
    How can we possibly end needless bloodletting in other countries when we can't even do it for ourselves.

September 24, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Much agreed. Who says we have the magic potion to solve violence in other countries... when we ourselves are riddled with it.

September 24, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. question

Why does Allah allow American Muslims to side with NATO and invading Christian infidels but God does not allow Christians to side with Al Quida or Muslim leaders who call for jihad?

September 24, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Yes, very hypocritical of them isn't it. And I can only think of one American who joined Al Quida off the top of my head. I seem to remember a video of the guy released sometime ago.

September 24, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Religion of Peace

Everyone knows the religion of peace is the one with the most expensive military. Give it a rest, George.

September 24, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

George Orwells 1984
      "War is PEACE. Freedom is SLAVERY. Ignorance is STRENGTH."
      Ya really got to be in a frame of mind to read that. I started to read it and started Hallucinating. 😉

September 24, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Scaevola

He does not live on Mt. Olympus nor does God reside over Israel, though Jews assert that he does. And with arms when necessarry.

September 24, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Although Scaevola is purty, I prefer Lily flowers myself. 😉

September 24, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cobra Jim

I think Zeus lived on Mt. Olympus. It's where they brew Olympia beer. The beer of GODS.

September 24, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Do they still even *make* Olympia beer anymore?
      I haven't thought of that brew in years...

September 24, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cobra Jim

Hi Good Banasy. I didn't think they made it anymore either, but just checked online. They still do. Good deal.

September 24, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hi, Cobra Jim.
      I think I'll stick with my prefered brews, lol.

September 24, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pnm9pnm

I have made my destion Syrian gov. Will now fall .paul Nicholas Michael.pnm.

September 26, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |