October 1st, 2012

Monday's live events

President Obama and Republican nominee Mitt Romney hold their first debate on Wednesday from the campus of the University of Denver.  Watch CNN.com Live for all the latest coverage from the election.

Today's programming highlights...

9:00 am ET - UN General Assembly - It's the final day of general debate at the United Nations General Assembly today.  We expect to hear from Syria, Cuba and North Korea during the session.

1:00 pm ET - Biden on campaign trail - Vice President Joe Biden will spend part of his day at the Pentagon, where he'll make remarks.

7:50 pm ET - Ryan bus tour - GOP vice presidential candidate Rep. Paul Ryan will kick off a two-day "Real Recovery" bus tour at a college in Dubuque, Iowa.

9:15 pm ET - Romney rally - GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney takes a break from debate prep to speak with supporters at a museum in Denver.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Cuba • Elections • North Korea • On CNN.com today • Politics • Syria • United Nations • World
  1. Nance

I sure hope it will be a good and nice week for everyone, without too much political arguing.

October 1, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay jay

agreed. I can't sleep n you guys get up EARLY!

October 1, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. dazzle ©

Happy October everyone! It's off to work for me after vacation. Have a great day.

October 1, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. saywhat

Good morning all.
    @dazzle
    Hope you had a fun filled vacation and have lots of good days at work too.

October 1, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. saywhat

@Nance
    Join you there in your wishes. The way things are shaping up though one cannot simply resist voicing concern or getting one's dander up.

October 1, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. saywhat

With two more Americans killed in Afghanistan today crossing the 2000th tragic mark, Gen.Mullen is rightly "mad as hell".
    A senseless , directionless, going nowhere misadventure. And with conservatively estimated 20'000 Afghan civilian deaths I do not think that Afghans are too happy either. So where does that lead to??

October 1, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

@saywhat:
    Where have you been?
    We've missed you.
    I read about our 2000th loss.
    I want our troops home now, not 2014!
    I don't think *anyone* is happy with the situation...
    Too much bloodshed, minimal results.

October 1, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  7. saywhat

Bonnie and Clyde guns sold for half a million dollars, yes sir.
    Stupid of me to think these were trash.

October 1, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I saw that in the paper yesterday...crime buffs will pay big money for the guns used during that dreadful piece of history.

October 1, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. saywhat

Hi @banasy
    I was indeed away travelling and quirky fellow that I am i don't lug my laptop with me while travelling on short hops.

October 1, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  9. saywhat

Now something interesting I found on youTube.
    While Netanyahu made himself a laughing stock of the world at the UN session with his usual antics, yes that is the general reaction, Jewish Rabbis and other Israelis met with Ahmedinijad in N.York with another kind of sentiment. That video is banned for broadcast at American News Channels ,in Israel and Europe.
    Watch it.

October 1, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  10. Mary

Good Morning @ saywhat,
    Was this on "aljazeera" ?

October 1, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  11. Obama Mama

@Saywhat and Mary how do you look at these differing views on Aljazeera? Or what Israel people think? Or what the iranian people think? Please tell.

October 1, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

The best practice is go al Jazeera's website, then go to Haaretz to read what they say about the same issue. Mull it over and make up your own mind. For pure comedy, try IRNA.

October 1, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

Thank you Bombo.

October 1, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • saywhat

@Mary @Obama Mama @Bombo

No I caught this video on YouTube. Incidentally I do not watch Aljazeera or go to IRNA. I regularly read Haar'etz though. I reported what I caught on youTube for you folks. We are fond of labeling those that would rather seek the way of rationalism or do not conform to perceptions that we grew up with as " outcasts" etc.

October 1, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BOMBO ©

Hi everyone. Managed to purge my brain of various irritants with a concert last night. 3 hours of Rush awesomeness. Now lets see how long it takes to fill it back up again.

Saywhat, other than IRNA (yes I read them from time to time to find out what they are saying), you are the first person I have heard describe Netanyahu as "making a laughing stock of himself". Maybe you also found a Venezuelan news site of which I was not previously aware, that used similar terminology. And no, most Western countries do not allow "banning" of news reports, what with protected free speech in most countries, but you can hang on to that word if it makes you happy. Maybe Western news organizations just don't think it's newsworthy when a few outcasts want to talk to Pres Dinnerjacket of Iran.

Remember kids. Just because you read something on the internet doesn't make it true. Unless they said "String section vastly improves Rush performance of YYZ." THAT would be true.

October 1, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Obama Mama

@Bombo- Rush in Edmonton? What is the truth? I guess it is in the eyes of the beholder who looks and can decypher all the Bullmalarky. The truth is out there.

October 1, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bobcat (in a hat)©

GOOD MONDAY MORNING ON THE FIRST DAY OF AN OUTSTANDING OCTOBER

Three Aussie guys, Shane, Ricky and Jeff, were working on a high-rise building project in Wagga Wagga. Unfortunately, Shane falls off the scaffolding and is killed instantly.

As the ambulance takes the body away, Ricky says, 'Someone should go and tell his wife.'
    Jeff says, 'OK, I'm pretty good at that sensitive stuff, I'll do it.'

Two hours later, he comes back carrying a case of Fosters.

Ricky says, 'Where did you get that, Jeff?'

'Shane's wife gave it to me.'

Ricky continues, 'That's unbelievable, you told the lady her husband was dead and she gave you the beer?'

'Well not exactly,' Jeff said. 'When she answered the door, I said to her, "You must be Shane's widow."

She said, 'No, I'm not a widow.'

And I said, 'I'll bet you a case of Fosters you are.'

October 1, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Well they started with their moderation, so I guess you won't see what I posted.

October 1, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. BOMBO ©

Rush in Edmonton, yes. When they hit your city later, I highly recommend it. Almost 60 years old and they can still play their own stuff, as complicated as it is.

October 1, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I don't need to ask you if you had a good time, BOMBO.
      Clearly you did!