October 1st, 2012

Monday's live events

President Obama and Republican nominee Mitt Romney hold their first debate on Wednesday from the campus of the University of Denver.  Watch CNN.com Live for all the latest coverage from the election.

Today's programming highlights...

9:00 am ET - UN General Assembly - It's the final day of general debate at the United Nations General Assembly today.  We expect to hear from Syria, Cuba and North Korea during the session.

1:00 pm ET - Biden on campaign trail - Vice President Joe Biden will spend part of his day at the Pentagon, where he'll make remarks.

7:50 pm ET - Ryan bus tour - GOP vice presidential candidate Rep. Paul Ryan will kick off a two-day "Real Recovery" bus tour at a college in Dubuque, Iowa.

9:15 pm ET - Romney rally - GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney takes a break from debate prep to speak with supporters at a museum in Denver.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Cuba • Elections • North Korea • On CNN.com today • Politics • Syria • United Nations • World
  1. banasy©

Now for my daily kvetch:
    CNN, please remove the share icons from the mobile site.
    There is no reason to have them twice, and it makes my pages load slower and makes the text display wonky.
    Thank you.

October 1, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

I'm stillllllllll pullin' for ya banasy. I guess our double kvetch did not work the other night. Jeesh.

October 1, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Obama Mama:
      Yeah, and I will keep posting it daily, lol.

October 1, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

Miss Patricia decided to start her class with a new assignment, so she began writing furiously on the blackboard. The assignment being a big one, she had to stretch herself to write from the top of the board.

She heard a chuckle and instantly recognized the voice. She turned around and demanded, "What did you find so funny, Jerry?"

Jerry replied, "I just saw one of your garters."

Miss Patricia thundered, "Get out of my class this very moment and I don't want to see your face for a full week."

She turned back to writing on the blackboard. She had omitted to write the ti tle of the chapter due to the distraction, so she stretched harder to scribble on the top of the board. A louder giggle echoed in the room and she quickly turned around to ask, "Will you share the joke with the class, Mike?"

Mike replied sheepishly, "I just saw both of your garters."

She shouted, "Get out of my class. And stay out for a month."

Embarras sed by the happenings, she dropped the marker and as she bent over to pick it up, Miss Patricia heard loud laughter. As she prepared herself for another round of firing, she noticed Little Johnny leaving the classroom.

"Where do you think you are going, young man?" Miss Patricia boomed.

"Well teacher, from what I just saw, my school days are over."

October 1, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

A young pastor was sitting in a restaurant eating lunch. He opened a letter he’d just received that morning from his mom. As he opened it a twenty-dollar bill fell out. He thought to himself, Thanks, Mom, I sure needed that right now.

As he finished his meal, he noticed a beggar outside on the sidewalk leaning against the light post. Thinking that the poor man could probably use the twenty dollars more than he, he crossed out the names on the envelope and wrote across the top in large letters, PERSEVERE!

So as not to make a scene, he put the envelope under his arm and dropped it as he walked past the man. The man picked it up and read the message and smiled.

The next day, as the pastor enjoyed his meal, the same man tapped him on the shoulder and handed him a big wad of bills.

Surprised, the young pastor asked him what that was for.

The man replied, “This is your half of the winnings. Persevere came in first in the fourth race at the track yesterday and paid thirty to one.”*

October 1, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kenney

@@@bobcat iah ,,,great one,,,that i will remember for some time very funny

October 1, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Hey Kenney

How are you doing my friend ? I was disturbed by your posts the other day. You hang in there man. You know you have a bunch of people who care very much for you here.

October 1, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Obama Mama

@bobcat (iah) Boooooooo. lol

October 1, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Morning Mama

Well, I have to start somewhere. LOL. They're moderating all my good stuff this morning.

October 1, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

A group of Texas A&M Aggies and a group of Harvard students had been deadlocked in a spelling bee for an entire week. At the end of the contest the score was tied and the judges had a dilemma. They told the contestants that each group was to quickly come up with a poem using the word 'Timbuktu.'

Well the Aggiess started laughing the minute the word was uttered but Harvard just smiled and prepared their short rhyme. One Harvard student stood up and for his group recited
    'Through the desert all night
    we ride on camels
    walking two by two,
    Destination Timbuktu.'

Well the crowd politely applauded – they knew the Aggies couldn't beat that and the Aggies just continued laughing throughout the whole process. One Aggie stopped giggling long enough to stand and read the team's effort. He said,
    'Tim and I,
    a hunting went,
    we came upon three women in a tent.
    Since they were three and we were two,
    I buk one and Timbuktu!'

October 1, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Obama Mama

@bobcat(iah) trying to look at them before they take them off.

October 1, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. saywhat

Netanyahu making a laughing stock of himself is what some European newspapers are saying. A good article on this by McGovern on Consortium.com. I do not read Venezuelan papers.
    Oh! you would be surprised at what US MS media is allowed or not allowed to report on some issues. Free speech has been re-defined here.

October 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ saywhat

I read an article similar to this the other day. It was relating how Netanyahoo was appearing like a bufoon and losing any kind of crediblity he might have ever had. I think it's comical how he is trying to make President Obama look like the bad guy in this. Our president is definitely taking the right track here. He has shown that we will have Israels back if they should get attacked, but not to the point of kowtowing to Israels every little knee jerk action. This is one of the reasons we need to keep him as president. The alternative will be an almost instataneous war.

October 1, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

That word is "supposed to be, INSTANTANEOUS

October 1, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Netanyahu has made it clear that he wants the Unted States to lead a pre-emptive strike against Iran.
      The POTUS has also made it clear that the US is not going to do so.
      Israel want this so badly, Israel can lead.

October 1, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

My sentiments exactly. I truly believe the majority are in agreement also. Except of course the warmongers amongst us who like to push for war, but unwilling to go fight it.

October 1, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kenney

@bobcat iah,,,,im fine im off to another adv,,,so to say but mentally im ready ive had plenty of time to prep for this and im due in another country in 2wks but i leave 2 nite,,,things are nasty elswhere i must go old times bite again but i will return,,,the mental transition the other night is what it was its controlled and very effective and now im ready but all is good here so dont worry i will be out for a while so its good i will be in touch through someone else here on CNN to say hi,,and thats it

October 1, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ Kenney

Well good luck to you in your new ventures, and always remember we're here if you need us.

October 1, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

Rawr:
    Saw them!
    Laughed.
    My day is complete.

October 1, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ banasy

Good day to you sweet lady. Hope you day is great as well as now complete. I really surprised they are still up. Three of the them were "awaiting moderation" and to my surprise when I looked back, they were still there. No umbrage taking so far. Could it be they're growing a sense of humor ? And btw, that Little Johnny was just for you.

October 1, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. saywhat

My posts are not getting thru now and some I see have been deleted..

October 1, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. saywhat

My response to @Mary@Obama Mama@Bombo was not posted.

October 1, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

@ saywhat, Seems both of us are having problems today.
      My posted question to was deleted.
      I suppose I 'hit' Cnn too hard for the last could of days.
      Keep trying please, I'd like to hear what you have to say. 🙂
      @ BOMBO ©, Thanks 🙂

October 1, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. saywhat

Good afternoon@bobcat
    I tried twice to say a word of thanks and a short comment. Was not allowed.

October 1, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

CNN is being quite finicky lately. I've been hitting that same problem also.

October 1, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |