NFL owner more interested in winning election than winning games
Woody Johnson owns the New York Jets and is New York chairman of Mitt Romney's campaign.
October 1st, 2012

NFL owner more interested in winning election than winning games

His New York Jets are struggling on the field, but team owner Robert Wood "Woody" Johnson told Bloomberg News today that it's more important to him to see Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan get elected.

Johnson, chairman of Johnson Co. and a great-great-grandson of the founder of Johnson & Johnson, is the New York state chairman of the Romney-Ryan campaign.

His Jets are 2-2 this season, and fans are smarting after Sunday's 34-0 pounding at the hands of the San Francisco 49ers. Nevertheless, Johnson has his priorities. When an interviewer on Bloomberg Television's "Market Makers" asked him whether football or politics was more important, Johnson responded:

"Well, I think you always have to put country first. So I think it’s very, very important, not only for us but in particular for our kids and grandkids, that this election come off with Mitt Romney and Ryan as president and vice president.”

That might be the best news coach Rex Ryan and beleaguered quarterback Mark Sanchez will hear all week.

Post by:
Filed under: Mitt Romney • New York • Politics • Pro football
  1. Jim Spitler

Another rich guy for Romney – what a surprise?

October 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kbone3

This is because he knows his team sucks, so he might as well concentrate on the election. And remember, he is a rich dude so he is only worried about his tax percent.

October 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Nicko

Tax breaks for the rich, hooray!

October 1, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Fredo

Yet another reason not to be a Jets fan. Thanks, Woody, another product of inherited wealth.

October 1, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Obama Mama

Johnson and Johnson look up list of companies exporting jobs at Exporting America. Surprise.

October 1, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. RexRon

Heck yeah!

About time some people speak up.

I love how everyone says "Oh look another rich guy..." I mean come on people. What happened to wanting to be successful. WHAT IS WRONG WITH BEING SUCCESSFUL?

I look at this guy and I want to learn from him. How he got to where he is. You people just look at him like success is a bad thing. It's disgusting how negative and limited your mindset is.

October 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

Cause Johnson being a coach has nothing to do with him being related to one of the wealthiest families in america? Right.

October 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

umm...he won the sperm lottery....he is the great great grandson of the father of Johnson and Johnson....of course in order to learn, you might want to start with learning to read...

October 1, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Learned from you....you're an idiot

October 1, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • RexRon

There's a story on CNN about a lady from Michigan who won the lottery, was still on food stamps, and died from drugs... Maybe I should strive to learn her mindset instead of Woody's

October 1, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • RexRon

Jim I'm an idiot in your opinion. That's fine. It means nothing to me. I'll be busy learning how to own a football team someday while you live a life with a limited, dull mindset

October 1, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • snarfowsald

wow...you are an idiot.

October 2, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Replacement Ref

Uoahahahaha, and i thought RexRon's comments were being ironic, now that would have been smart.

But, alas, he meant it, bummer! you go on, boy, learn some about being a NFL team owner, or a baseball team owner. Ooops, didn't George W Bush also 'learn" how to be a team owner??? And then he learned how to own a country? Oh wait, that was Dickie Cheney, they guy who self-appointed himself VP.
      See it all makes sense, it's like manna from heaven. Or from daddy's pocket book.

October 2, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. Bart

Jets are as pathetic as Romney. Both will lose a lot in November

October 1, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • namethename

Better that than Obama and Food Stamps winning with no future for children in sight (our children, not his. His children will do just fine)

October 1, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. RexRon

Even though I can't stand them, I just turned into a Jets fan!

October 1, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Affirmation of loser

October 1, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • RexRon

Thanks for calling me a name because I have a different opinion than you Jim. Shows how classy the 47% really is. (Hence why you will always be in the 47%)

October 1, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • RexRon

Thanks for stealing the money I earned to buy yourself the free phone, healthcare, and food.

October 1, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary1972

The way you are posting all day makes me think you are a paid peon of Romney SuperPAC. How much are you getting paid?

October 1, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

WTG RexRon, I like your mind.

October 1, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Thanks for all the food stamps Ron, I used them to buy filet mignon and wild caught king salmon... then i used my welfare money to buy Anchor Steam and Don Julio... I love living off of your hard earned money you worker bee buffoon!

October 2, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. Obama Smells

GO JETS!

October 1, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

So you are a huffer?

October 1, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bart

RexRon, you want to learn from him? Great. Have a rich relative set you up and then you too will be successful.

October 1, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • RexRon

So because he had a rich relative I should think negatively of him? I should look down on him?

October 1, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

@Rex -So voting for Romney because you have money and Mitt is not class warfare, But voting for Obama is?

October 1, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • RexRon

It's class warfair just to think that because somebody is rich they are evil and against the poor and middle class. Do you people very stop to think that maybe becoming rich is not just some event that happens to you... MAYBE it's a process? No you guys don't think that way because you're brainwashed to think you're at some disadvantage

October 1, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

@Rex- a process he was born into.

October 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • RexRon

Hey Jim, I'd rather give it my best shot and try to own a football team some day then sit my life on the sidelines like a victim. Have fun living life like a victim.

October 1, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • snarfowsald

You know @Rex, you're not as annoyingly conservative as the reds down here in the South, but theyre a hell of a lot smarter. Do all conseratives wax and wan in these histrionic like broad generatives that seek to make me feel bad about my life?

October 2, 2012 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
    • ColoradoDad

No RexRon, you shouldn't think less of him because he comes from a wealthy family (are you dense?). But you more importantly think of him as a pinnacle of success and the American Dream come true. He was born into it, unless you consider his coming out of the birth canal being indicative of his gallant effort to...well, remain wealthy. A more qualified measure would be coming from nearly nothing, from poverty, from a broken home, building the American dream with blood, sweat, and tears. Now THATS something to look up to and be proud of, no matter what party or political affiliation. But holding this guy up as some kind of sudo-hero for simply being rich, especially without the effort to get there. ignorance to say the least.

October 3, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Reddy

Vote Romney Ryan 2012.

October 1, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Ahhhh....NO!!

October 1, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary1972

Reddy (Must be from India), No. As fasr as I know, Reddy is a caste in India.

October 1, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hitobito

Come on Reddy! Romney is a train wreck! He's a twit and an empty suit!

October 1, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan89

For the State of New York, you are going to be seeing some Blue in Obama and Biden. Just letting you know.

October 1, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. PaulMATL

Rex Ron, are you one of the many wannabee 1-percenters who think if they go along with the GOP they will brought into that club? Here is a clue: They don't want you!

October 1, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • RexRon

Paul I'm not a wannabee 1%. I am an entrepreneur who's on his way to joining the 1% at age 25. It's I DID BUILD MY BUSINESS. I start companies out of thin air. Something anyone on this comment section could do if you developed the right mindset.

BUT NO... Just keep thinking you're a victim Paul and that everyone's out to get you.

October 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • PaulMATL

Sorry RexRon, not buying your story. BTW, I do not look at myself as a victim. I have been in the IT business for almost 30 years. But keep building yourself up on message boards and maybe someday your dream will come true. If I had a dollar for every puffed up wannabe rich person on the Internet I would be in Woody Johnson's class. Thank you for taking time out of your company building business to post in this board!

October 1, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Steve

RexRon is right if all you damm liberals would just listen to men like woody you would no how to be successful. Start by having your grandfather be the founder of Johnson & Johnsom and them – well i doesn't really matter does it? Woody is right he is doing this to protect his grand kids – making sure they can pay half the tax rate of those poor stupid people that work for a living. Oh and I am a jet Fan – and if the jets are an example of the business you run (compared to the one you inherited) you should really be thankful you inherited you4 wealth.

October 1, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Obama Mama

@PaulMATL- they want his vote and then in a Mansion, where they make deals with the other haves, they can laugh at him in private Gucci manner.

October 1, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • PaulMATL

LOL. Woody Johnson is worth $3.5B. He was born on Third Base or almost to Home Plate. We all need to learn how to be born into a ultra-rich family. I would like the wannabe rich neocons to tell me what the billionaire Koch Brothers and Sheldon Aldeson are buying in Mitt Romney.

October 1, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • RexRon

Yeah and the corrupt George Soros and government employees and Solyndra executives (my tax dollars) are buying obama.

October 1, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • PaulMATL

This is where Rex Ron goes into Rush/Hannity mode.

October 1, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Hitobito

Woody you suck just like your football team! How many off shore bank accounts do you have? Boycott J & J!!

October 1, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |