NFL owner more interested in winning election than winning games
Woody Johnson owns the New York Jets and is New York chairman of Mitt Romney's campaign.
October 1st, 2012

NFL owner more interested in winning election than winning games

His New York Jets are struggling on the field, but team owner Robert Wood "Woody" Johnson told Bloomberg News today that it's more important to him to see Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan get elected.

Johnson, chairman of Johnson Co. and a great-great-grandson of the founder of Johnson & Johnson, is the New York state chairman of the Romney-Ryan campaign.

His Jets are 2-2 this season, and fans are smarting after Sunday's 34-0 pounding at the hands of the San Francisco 49ers. Nevertheless, Johnson has his priorities. When an interviewer on Bloomberg Television's "Market Makers" asked him whether football or politics was more important, Johnson responded:

"Well, I think you always have to put country first. So I think it’s very, very important, not only for us but in particular for our kids and grandkids, that this election come off with Mitt Romney and Ryan as president and vice president.”

That might be the best news coach Rex Ryan and beleaguered quarterback Mark Sanchez will hear all week.

Post by:
Filed under: Mitt Romney • New York • Politics • Pro football
  1. pmmarion

As if we didn't already have enough reasons to hate the Jets.... lol

October 2, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. silentcount

There's no need for the whole country to be losers, which they will be if Obama gets four more years of screwing things up.

October 2, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rosslaw

A white guy born to phenomenal wealth and privilege and an NFL team owner backs Romney. Stunned. Next at 11:00, sun rises in east and sets in west!!!!

October 2, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Clete

"You always have to put your country first...after all, this country insured that I and my kids and grandkids will have millions of dollars, health insurance and stock options and never have to work, I mean really work a day in their lives. So, get out there and vote for someone just like me."

October 2, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • max3333444555

are you saying his family didnt build that business?

October 2, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diane L. Pelletier

ok folks here it is, I am neither a repub nor a demo or a Tea Party person why because they all lie to we the people. For the first time in history it is time for we the people to stand up and say enough is enough. We deserve more than this. It is time for the people to step up and call it as it is. I will vote for Obama why because Romney is a big liar along with Paul Ryan so it is who is the worst of the two yes why because all of these people (rich) just don't give a dam. It is now time for we the people to step up and be counted. Until that happens nothing will change.

October 2, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Frank

"capital gains" ARE INCOME! When are you apologists-for-millionaires going to get that through your pea brains? If you make a million dollars from a twenty million investment, it's income and should be taxed as income.

October 2, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • awaysaway

What happens if your investment drops to $10 million?
      No tax in either scenario. But it illustrates that investments are clearly different than regular income.

October 2, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

In America, capital losses are deductible. If you go to Singapore, recently pointed to as a tax haven, they have no such deductions, there are no supports for losers, as you would expect with a lower rate.

October 2, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MikeB

Romney winning more important than the Jets winning? He will get neither.

October 2, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • dodahman

MikeB nailed it....0 for 2

October 2, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert souza

Mike you are absolutly correct he has 2 losing teams on his hands

October 2, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Canopy

Leave it to someone that didn't work for their fortunes to make a comment like this....

October 2, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Roger

This is a news flash that a billionaire wants Romney to win?

October 2, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Packman 1001

You can tell that if you have ever watched the team play!

October 2, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. max3333444555

rex ryan should be glad he has an owner not paying attention...

October 2, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. neitherjetsnorromney

Okay, thanks for letting the world know where you stand. No more Johnson & Johnson products for me.

October 2, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Douglas

Yet another reason why I don't like the Jets. As if I needed another one πŸ™‚

October 2, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. christopher sferrazza

What cracks me up is how employment figures show a slow yet steady increase in jobs and employment. The mistake that Obama made was the miscalculation of how many jobs the government would be able to produce. It has been much lower – so the GOP has made claims that his policy has failed. Like the other tactics of the GOP/FOX machine – Obama wasn't born in the US or he has connections to terrorist and so on. Don't get me wrong, I'm an independent.

McCain was the kind of republican I didn't mind. I don't care about his money – he was humble, and knew what human behaviour was capable of because he had to endure it. He was a gentleman and the likes the republicans have lost. I feel that many older republicans have been dragged into a fight by the greedy rich to keep more than their share.

Mittens has no idea – he's an empty suit doesn't know what it feel like to be humiliated on any level, hence he is out of touch with the 47%. It is obvious he is not interested when he calls almost half the country "victims".

We all believe in a truth that we want to believe. But there is nothing Mittens has said that, has me believe in him. I've given him all the time to listen – nothing he has said has inspired me. Some of you say Obama is a liar – but he says what I want to hear, and he has tried if you look at the cold hard facts. GOP is out for themselves, thats what is obvious. They don't want the middle class.

October 2, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. christopher sferrazza

October 2, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. paul

Like the owner of an NFL team has anything meaningful to say to the fans just getting by and paying the bills. The divide between rich and poor has been seen since the depression era which Bush nearly pushed the US economy. Is it surprising these millionaires and billionaires seek tax advantages? But do not let them persuade as what is good for them is surely not good for the middle and lower income brackets. Top down has not worked in the past and will not work now. Congress refused to vote on Obama's Jobs Act which would have created a million jobs but they wasted 30 plus votes on meaningless attempts to bring down the healthcare law. Republicans have come across as arrogant jerks and it is well deserved reputation for them.

October 2, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |