Ahead of the curve: The next 7 days
It's showtime for Rep. Paul Ryan, left, and Vice President Joe Biden.
October 7th, 2012

Ahead of the curve: The next 7 days

Here is a look at some of the stories that CNN plans to follow this week:

Biden, Ryan face off

Vice President Joe Biden and Republican vice-presidential nominee Paul Ryan will duke it out Thursday in the first and only vice-presidential debate. The showdown takes place at at Centre College in Danville, Kentucky.

A recent CNN/ORC International Poll found that 55% of likely voters thought Ryan would fare better in the debate, while 39% said Biden would win.

Biden and Ryan face off eight days after President Barack Obama and GOP candidate Mitt Romney met on stage. Obama and Romney will debate again on October 16.

Romney to deliver major foreign policy address

Mitt Romney will deliver a major speech on foreign policy Monday in Virginia, an aide to the Republican presidential nominee said last week, as bloodshed continued in Syria and fresh questions surfaced about the Obama administration's handling of last month's consulate attack in Libya.

The speech, which a source said would take place at the Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, comes as foreign policy has taken a larger role on the campaign trail.

Romney has criticized Obama for his dealings with Iran and China. Immediately following the consulate attack, Romney accused Obama's administration of sending "mixed signals" on American values. He was roundly criticized, including by some Republicans, for injecting politics into a dangerous international situation. Since his initial statements, new developments have called into question the administration's handling of security at the Benghazi consulate, both before and after the attack.

Sandusky to be sentenced in child rape case

Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky may be sentenced on Tuesday after a hearing to determine if he's a sexually violent predator, according to court documents.

After a three-week trial featuring emotional and often graphic testimony from eight of the former Penn State assistant football coach's victims, a 12-person jury in June convicted him on 45 of 48 counts.

Jurors heard from eight young men who testified that when they were boys, Sandusky forced them to engage in sexual acts in showers in Penn State's athletics facilities, hotel rooms, the basement of his home and other places. The abuse spanned at least 15 years.

Congressional hearing on Libya attack

The House Oversight Committee is planning a Wednesday hearing on the attack in Libya and related security issues.

The committee will ask Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to testify amid reports that the State Department turned down requests for additional security before the attack.

"Multiple U.S. federal government officials have confirmed to the Committee that, prior to the September 11 (2012) attack, the U.S. mission in Libya made repeated requests for increased security in Benghazi," said a letter from Reps. Darrell Issa and Jason Chaffetz to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. "The mission in Libya, however, was denied these resources by officials in Washington."

The Republicans demanded answers to several questions and testimony at Wednesday's hearing - the only hearing on any matter currently scheduled before Election Day.

Pussy Riot appeal hearing to continue

The appeal hearing will continue on Wednesday for three members of the Russian punk rock band Pussy Riot, who were sentenced to two years for performing a song critical of President Vladimir Putin.

One of the band members, Yekaterina Samutsevich, said Monday that she no longer wants to work with an attorney who doesn't share her views in the case.

Read more: Pussy Riot supporters vent anger on Twitter

The women were convicted in August of hooliganism, sparking an international outcry. Authorities charged them after they criticized Putin in one of Moscow's grandest cathedrals.

A judge rejected the women's defense that they were acting from political motives, ruling that they had intended to insult the Orthodox Church and undermine public order.

A day before the hearing, the Russian Orthodox Church appealed for leniency for the band members, according to state-owned Ria Novosti.

NHL season delayed ... again

As a result of its ongoing player lockout, the National Hockey League is canceling regular-season games through October 24.

The season was scheduled to start October 11, but recent meetings between representatives for the players union and the NHL have failed to produce a collective bargaining agreement.

NHL.com reported Tuesday that NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said the players and owners had lost $100 million due to the cancellation of the preseason.

Filed under: Ahead of the curve
  1. raven

Yay! Hockey season!

October 7, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. raven

Hey, chrissy! Yup, but still... Hockey! Been a RW fan since Yzerman...

October 7, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mary

Btw, If you keep saying something about an individual eventually people start to believe it. Does this make your statement true about said person? NO!
    I will keep posting about subjects that I deem worthy and affect me and the world at large.
    My take on a subject IS in fact MINE, no one else's.
    Try as you may so to make me look like a puppet in others eyes to further YOUR agenda ... go ahead.
    Those that are my true friends KNOW who I am and KNOW I am truly speaking on these issues out of my own interest

Keep attacking me and putting in the light you want to make others THINK that is why I speak on these issues
    Go right ahead DO IT
    DO it keep doing and see the others ask WHY your so obsessed with me.

October 7, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Donavan

They cancelled the first two weeks of the hockey season three days ago...

October 7, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. raven

I know, right? As much as I love watching old games, I'm hoping they start talking again, so they can get this show on the road...or the ice, so to speak...

October 7, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mmmm

I'm getting where I don't even care who wins the election. I don't care for any of the candidates and am kind of even tired of hearing about it.

October 7, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • mmmm

I just hope everyone has a nice week. That would be pretty awesome.

October 7, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. raven

I'm with you, mmmm. And lol rory...I thought the same thing. And chrissy, I couldna said it any better. The players are punishing the people under them.

October 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. raven

And I don't mean their wives.

October 7, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. raven

Well, maybe their wives...

October 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mary

Not me
    Please refrain from highjacking my name.

October 7, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tom Hunter

Who cares about hockey? No one in the U.S. will miss it. They are only shooting themselves in the foot by canceling the first part of the season by eroding what little interest there is in the NHL.

October 7, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bobby Orr

Guess who cares about hockey.
    Wayne Gretksy is better than any-old Puff Daddy or Snoop Doggy dog.
    Checkity-check yourself before you wreck yourself, my friend.

October 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom Hunter

I think you've had too much maple syrup.

October 7, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. raven

Mary???? I haven't even spoken TO you or ABOUT you.Not sure where that's coming from.
    And Tom Hunter, better not let Marty Mcsorley hear you say that...

October 7, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom Hunter

Marty who?

October 7, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

I still say that a Firts Annual would do-away with this endless bantering back-and-forth...or a great deal of it anyway.
    I dare say many of us spend a lot of time here and so have much invested already. A Firts Annual would pay dividends.

October 7, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Harpman

Oh, hockey, where are you? I can't eat, I can't sleep because there is no hockey to watch. Actually, it's another kid's game that some people think is a grown up profession. Let those hockey players get a productive job.

October 7, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |