Texas mom gets 99 years for gluing toddler to wall, beating her
Elizabeth Escalona, 23, admitted gluing her 2-year-old daughter to a wall and beating her over potty training.
October 12th, 2012

Texas mom gets 99 years for gluing toddler to wall, beating her

[Updated at 4:22 p.m. ET] A Texas mother who super-glued her 2-year-old daughter's hands to a wall and beat her over potty training problems was sentenced Friday morning to 99 years in prison, a Dallas County felony records department district clerk said.

Elizabeth Escalona, 23, will be eligible to ask for parole in 30 years. She pleaded guilty in July to a charge of first-degree injury to a child, a crime punishable by anywhere between probation and life in prison.

"This mom was pure evil, and her children are better off without her," prosecutor Eren Price said after a judge delivered Friday's sentence. "Her five kids now have a chance to lead a productive life."

Escalona’s attorney said that the sentence was excessive and that an appeal would be filed, CNN affiliate KTVT reported.

Escalona's daughter Jocelyn Cedillo was less than two months shy of her 3rd birthday in September 2011 when Escalona used a powerful adhesive to glue her hands to a wall and beat her because of potty training troubles, authorities said. Three other children belonging to Escalona, who was pregnant at the time, witnessed the abuse, according to Dallas County district attorney's office spokeswoman Debbie Denmon.

The child urinated on herself during the ordeal, during which she was hit in head and kicked in the groin, among other forms of abuse, Denmon said.

Oefelia Escalona, the defendant's mother, testified during her daughter's sentencing hearing this week that she found the girl and took her to a hospital. Once Jocelyn was there, medical authorities noticed severe bruises to her face and head, as well as a severe brain injury that led to her temporarily being in a coma.

At this week's sentencing hearing, prosecutors showed pictures of Jocelyn's hands and bruised body and forehead.

"The entire picture was very shocking," said Dr. Amy Barton, then a child abuse pediatrician at Children's Medical Center of Dallas, choking back tears on the stand on Monday. "I see a lot of children, and this was one of the most shocking cases that I have seen."

Escalona asked for leniency during her sentencing hearing this week, saying she behaved like a monster but deserved a second chance, KTVT reported. Her mother asked the judge to sentence Elizabeth to probation, according to KTVT.

Price initially offered a plea bargain of 45 years in prison, but Escalona turned it down, the district attorney's office said.

Price said that the judge, after learning more about Escalona during the hearing, was justified in sentencing her to more time.

"Elizabeth Escalona wasn't sorry for what she did to 2-year-old Jocelyn. Elizabeth Escalona felt sorry for herself," Price said. "Those tears on the stand were for her and not for the toddler she tortured."

An attempt to reach Escalona's attorney for comment Friday was not immediately successful.

Before this incident, Escalona had been investigated by Texas Child Protective Services but never arrested or charged, Denmon said.

The child welfare agency put all of her children in foster care after Jocelyn was taken to the hospital. All five of them, including Jocelyn, are now in the custody of their grandmother, Oefelia Escalona.

Post by: , ,
Filed under: Courts • Crime • Justice • Texas
soundoff (2,261 Responses)
  1. Jim

You think beating the hell out of a 2 year old enough to put them in a comma, sadistically super-gluing the childs hands to the wall in the process as you lay down the torture, TO A TWO YEAR OLD is much better than murder? You make me sick.

October 14, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. David Myers

I should be ashamed of myself for feeding a troll like you, but I just have to. You're an ediote. Hope some other similar person to yourself takes a pot shot at you and you both play out your gun fantasies for the greater good of the rest of us. Course you both will probably injure or kill innocent by-standers, unfortunately.

October 14, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. danster101

She screwed up, but many serial killers get less than 99 years. Texas judges are corrupt.

October 14, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. CW

Since, we don't allow forced sterilization, society is left with no alternative but to put her away past her childbearing years at the very least. Plus she should never see her children again. We have all been frustrated with potty training but most of us just put a diaper or pull up the kid on and wait it out. She was clearly not able to handle anything close to 5 children but rather than seek help she waited until she exploded. I think she should have been charged with attempted murder.

October 14, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sally Gauthier

I applaud the judge's decision. He knows evil when he sees it. As I see it, She should not even be able to try for parole in 30 yrs. she should serve 99 yrs. It was murder......she killed the child's spirit and innocence. great job of the judicial system to see this for what it is....she's only showing tears and sorrow.....for being caught. Not for hurting an innocent child!

October 14, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. PVS

agree with OP. killing someone is worse than not killing someone. simple fact. browbeating and crying "god forbid" and "you make me sick" and all your pathetic 'holier than thou' sentimental mental gymnastics doesnt change the fact. also, accusing the OP of somehow defending this woman is pretty weak. so herp derp, etc.

October 14, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kindergarten

Not me. Pathetic "adults". I'm convinced you all are little 17 year old trolls whose parents forgot to set the computer parental controls.

October 14, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Brandy

I don't think 99 years is enough! As far as I am concerned, someone needs to beat her into a coma for doing that to a poor helpless child. A child should be able to trust their mother above anyone else.

October 14, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ~~~

some people shouldn't be parents.

October 14, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bill C

In in Texas and some other states murders get as little as five to 10 years in prison. Bad as she is and as horrible as it is the sentence is unjust. Worse is all the hate Hispanic stuff I see in the responses. I feel the hate shown by some respondent's should lead to their arrest and sentence to prison where they can take their hate out on each other.

October 14, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. danster101

This is horrible, but not than uncommon in the Southwest. Many Mexicans severely punish their kids–and I think that it is child abuse. But, you bring this into our culture and you throw the book at them–You have to take things in context. In this case, I agree that she should serve prison time.
    But, 99 years? Please, many serial killers don't get that. Texas judges are corrupt, and this just emphasizes it.

October 14, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Aaron

So she cruelly and relentlessly abuses one child and gets 99 years. Yet Sandusky abuses 10+ and just gets 30? Too bad Sandusky didn't get tried in Texas.

October 14, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anon

He'll probably rot in prison though.

October 14, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. danster101

Mexicans don't spare the rod as much as Americans do. Having said that, there is no excuse for what she did. Yet, even so, there are serial killers who have received less than 99 years for their crimes.
    Texas judges are extremely corrupt!!!! She deserveds prison time, but not more than any serial killer.

October 14, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Junebug

I think this girl's mother should be put in prison for not teaching her daughter about birth control and proper parenting, and how it's not the end of the world if a child isn't potty trained by the time she's three and that fact hardly deserves a verbal reprimand, never a beating. Kids will learn anything as long as they are in a safe, loving environment; I get the impression her children lived in a world dictated by the mood swings and tantrums of a young mother who was not fit for the role.

October 14, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Answer

A serial killer convicted in Texas is put to death by the state – your analogy is not useful.

October 15, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Harry

Nahhh, at first just seeing the headline (way to go marketing editor person whoever) that was my initial thought but reading the article and the details of the abuse they could give her more time. I beleive in some corporal punshment as a very last resort for my kids but hitting the kids or any child in the head is a no no/ On top of that she kicked the kid in the groin. Nahh this woman cant stay in jail long enough. And over potty training? Really? Give me the name of one kid who on the first lesson got potty training right? Answer no one lol I and I have six. trust me my bathroom smell like Wrigley Field's bathroom during free beer night. And I'm 40 and potty trained thank you very much lol. Seriously though that lady is a pure monster for her heinous actions.

October 15, 2012 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  14. Donnie the Lion

It is an odd sentence only when compared to other sentences. Dante Stallworth ran over a guy (and killed him) while intoxicated and under the influence of marijuana, and served.....what was it, six months? Death penalty should be expanded for crimes involving permanent physical/mental/psychological disability. I hope the daughter makes a full recovery.

October 14, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. AuntySocial

I agree she deserves a long prison sentence, but 99 years? It seems a bit extreme. A man who killed his 3 year old son after years of abuse only got 20 years. I wonder how her sentence would have been had she been a male.

October 14, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |