Texas mom gets 99 years for gluing toddler to wall, beating her
Elizabeth Escalona, 23, admitted gluing her 2-year-old daughter to a wall and beating her over potty training.
October 12th, 2012

Texas mom gets 99 years for gluing toddler to wall, beating her

[Updated at 4:22 p.m. ET] A Texas mother who super-glued her 2-year-old daughter's hands to a wall and beat her over potty training problems was sentenced Friday morning to 99 years in prison, a Dallas County felony records department district clerk said.

Elizabeth Escalona, 23, will be eligible to ask for parole in 30 years. She pleaded guilty in July to a charge of first-degree injury to a child, a crime punishable by anywhere between probation and life in prison.

"This mom was pure evil, and her children are better off without her," prosecutor Eren Price said after a judge delivered Friday's sentence. "Her five kids now have a chance to lead a productive life."

Escalona’s attorney said that the sentence was excessive and that an appeal would be filed, CNN affiliate KTVT reported.

Escalona's daughter Jocelyn Cedillo was less than two months shy of her 3rd birthday in September 2011 when Escalona used a powerful adhesive to glue her hands to a wall and beat her because of potty training troubles, authorities said. Three other children belonging to Escalona, who was pregnant at the time, witnessed the abuse, according to Dallas County district attorney's office spokeswoman Debbie Denmon.

The child urinated on herself during the ordeal, during which she was hit in head and kicked in the groin, among other forms of abuse, Denmon said.

Oefelia Escalona, the defendant's mother, testified during her daughter's sentencing hearing this week that she found the girl and took her to a hospital. Once Jocelyn was there, medical authorities noticed severe bruises to her face and head, as well as a severe brain injury that led to her temporarily being in a coma.

At this week's sentencing hearing, prosecutors showed pictures of Jocelyn's hands and bruised body and forehead.

"The entire picture was very shocking," said Dr. Amy Barton, then a child abuse pediatrician at Children's Medical Center of Dallas, choking back tears on the stand on Monday. "I see a lot of children, and this was one of the most shocking cases that I have seen."

Escalona asked for leniency during her sentencing hearing this week, saying she behaved like a monster but deserved a second chance, KTVT reported. Her mother asked the judge to sentence Elizabeth to probation, according to KTVT.

Price initially offered a plea bargain of 45 years in prison, but Escalona turned it down, the district attorney's office said.

Price said that the judge, after learning more about Escalona during the hearing, was justified in sentencing her to more time.

"Elizabeth Escalona wasn't sorry for what she did to 2-year-old Jocelyn. Elizabeth Escalona felt sorry for herself," Price said. "Those tears on the stand were for her and not for the toddler she tortured."

An attempt to reach Escalona's attorney for comment Friday was not immediately successful.

Before this incident, Escalona had been investigated by Texas Child Protective Services but never arrested or charged, Denmon said.

The child welfare agency put all of her children in foster care after Jocelyn was taken to the hospital. All five of them, including Jocelyn, are now in the custody of their grandmother, Oefelia Escalona.

Post by: , ,
Filed under: Courts • Crime • Justice • Texas
soundoff (2,261 Responses)
  1. mikeithomas

I agree 100% with the verdict with the exception it does not state the women will be sterilized. It also bothers me that a lot of people get less time for murder. Our judicial system is flawed in so many ways by the power of the dollar. It seems as though if you know the right person or have the right amount of cash almost anything cam be overlooked or people can be persuaded to have a different opinion of certain people. Eye for an eye tooth for a tooth.

October 15, 2012 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Donna

Actually she will be sterile by the time she is elegible to get out.

October 15, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ale

How many kids and she isn't even 25? makes me wonder if placing the kids with their grandma is the solution. Seeing that this " child "most likley had at least a few of these kids when well under 18 (did Grandma have her own kids under control?) .. Plus the gang-banging tatoo on the neck makes me wonder what neigbhorhood these kids are being placed in. Vicious circle is all I have to say.

October 15, 2012 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. Laurie

not sure if putting her kids with the mother that raised her is the correct solution.

October 15, 2012 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Giggidy...

If you watch the video she admits on the stand that she used to beat her mother before she had children and started beating them. She obviously had issues that weren't necessarily her own mother's fault. Not to mention the Grandmother and an Aunt were the ones that rescued the toddler and took her to the hospital for medical attention. It might be best for the kids to remain with family so they know that not all family members are bad... like their mother.

October 15, 2012 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Lulu

I agree with you, Laurie. Sounds like a very dysfunctional family all around. It makes me sad to think of the children livig in the grand-mother's home. I hope they are monitored on a very regular basis.

October 15, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeb

The excessive prison sentence is justified. Hopefully it will keep here from getting pregnant again.

October 15, 2012 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. realtalker1

"She pleaded guilty in July to a charge of first-degree injury to a child, a crime punishable by anywhere between probation and life in prison." -– Anything between probation and life in prison? No crime should have a sentencing possibility that is that unclear. And also, I don't typically support mandatory minimums for non-violent crimes but for violent crimes like this, there should be a minimum. We have them for non-violent crimes but someone who beats their child half to death could get off with probation. Unbelievable. Such a disparity in our broken justice system. On the flip side, 99 years is pointless too. Just say life or have a maximum of 50 years or whatever.

October 15, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Lexi

I believe 99years is what she deserves and if not death herself I realize she didnt murder her child but came pretty damn close!

October 15, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. raymond pouncy

I hope she get the same treatment in prison as she gave that baby

October 15, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Old Guy

She will!

October 15, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lulu

I hope you're right, "Old Guy".

October 15, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Gary

short of the death penalty – 99 years is about right

October 15, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  8. binny

30 years probation, eh? Well at least she'll be too old to have more babies... unless she gets conjugal visits like Joran van der Sloot. Happy thought all around!

October 15, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  9. Abby

I cannot believe that someone could treat a child this way. If you do not want or do not plan to care for your child and love it unconditionally then I do not think you should not have a child in the first place. this woman received a fair sentence for the horrible act that she has done. That child is capable of doing great things and did not do anything that was wrong enough to deserve the punishment that she received. I hope all of the children in that family recover and grow up to go great things and lead great lives.

October 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. johnblacksad

5 kids at 23... wow! Best sentence next to the death penalty! She won't be missed!

October 15, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. vettech

I pray to God this POS gets what she deserves and 10 times worse! I'd love to fly there, super glue her face to the wall and beat the living crap out of her! How can anyone hurt their children!?!?! Makes me sick and I sure as hell hope they do not let this disgusting monster out in 30 yrs, hope she doesn't even make it that long!

October 15, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lindsay

Don't get me wrong, what she did was terrible and I completely disagree with her behavior, but 99 years?! What about the mass murderers and rapists out there who get a far shorter sentence and are almost guaranteed to come out and commit similar crimes again... this sentnece is a bit too extreme in my mind.

October 15, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • justsayin

Lindsay, when you have to look at a baby who has been tortured and beaten, dead or alive, then you can say 99 years is too much. I guarantee you this was not the only one of her 5 children she abused and this was not a one time incident. 99 years isn't nearly enough with a minimum of 30 served. It should be the full meal deal....let her sit in prison and rot and let someone who cares about the children raise them.

October 15, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ultimos

Yeah, I think the judge should have taken the prosecution's recommendation of 45 years. I mean, what is the point of pleading guilty and accepting culpability. Not that I feel sorry for her, as her crime was particularly heinous.

October 15, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lisa

I don't think that she should have any possibility of parole, especially in 30 yrs. I hope like hell she gets her turn in prison. Anyone who says her sentence was to much needs to look at this child and ask yourself what she is asking herself "Why mommy?"

October 15, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Chris

Kinda a shame. Shes cute.

October 15, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brenda

I say we lock up ALL people with neck tattoos.

October 15, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |