Texas mom gets 99 years for gluing toddler to wall, beating her
Elizabeth Escalona, 23, admitted gluing her 2-year-old daughter to a wall and beating her over potty training.
October 12th, 2012

Texas mom gets 99 years for gluing toddler to wall, beating her

[Updated at 4:22 p.m. ET] A Texas mother who super-glued her 2-year-old daughter's hands to a wall and beat her over potty training problems was sentenced Friday morning to 99 years in prison, a Dallas County felony records department district clerk said.

Elizabeth Escalona, 23, will be eligible to ask for parole in 30 years. She pleaded guilty in July to a charge of first-degree injury to a child, a crime punishable by anywhere between probation and life in prison.

"This mom was pure evil, and her children are better off without her," prosecutor Eren Price said after a judge delivered Friday's sentence. "Her five kids now have a chance to lead a productive life."

Escalona’s attorney said that the sentence was excessive and that an appeal would be filed, CNN affiliate KTVT reported.

Escalona's daughter Jocelyn Cedillo was less than two months shy of her 3rd birthday in September 2011 when Escalona used a powerful adhesive to glue her hands to a wall and beat her because of potty training troubles, authorities said. Three other children belonging to Escalona, who was pregnant at the time, witnessed the abuse, according to Dallas County district attorney's office spokeswoman Debbie Denmon.

The child urinated on herself during the ordeal, during which she was hit in head and kicked in the groin, among other forms of abuse, Denmon said.

Oefelia Escalona, the defendant's mother, testified during her daughter's sentencing hearing this week that she found the girl and took her to a hospital. Once Jocelyn was there, medical authorities noticed severe bruises to her face and head, as well as a severe brain injury that led to her temporarily being in a coma.

At this week's sentencing hearing, prosecutors showed pictures of Jocelyn's hands and bruised body and forehead.

"The entire picture was very shocking," said Dr. Amy Barton, then a child abuse pediatrician at Children's Medical Center of Dallas, choking back tears on the stand on Monday. "I see a lot of children, and this was one of the most shocking cases that I have seen."

Escalona asked for leniency during her sentencing hearing this week, saying she behaved like a monster but deserved a second chance, KTVT reported. Her mother asked the judge to sentence Elizabeth to probation, according to KTVT.

Price initially offered a plea bargain of 45 years in prison, but Escalona turned it down, the district attorney's office said.

Price said that the judge, after learning more about Escalona during the hearing, was justified in sentencing her to more time.

"Elizabeth Escalona wasn't sorry for what she did to 2-year-old Jocelyn. Elizabeth Escalona felt sorry for herself," Price said. "Those tears on the stand were for her and not for the toddler she tortured."

An attempt to reach Escalona's attorney for comment Friday was not immediately successful.

Before this incident, Escalona had been investigated by Texas Child Protective Services but never arrested or charged, Denmon said.

The child welfare agency put all of her children in foster care after Jocelyn was taken to the hospital. All five of them, including Jocelyn, are now in the custody of their grandmother, Oefelia Escalona.

Post by: , ,
Filed under: Courts • Crime • Justice • Texas
soundoff (2,261 Responses)
  1. Tracy

While I think what this woman did is horrendous, I believe the sentencing is far too harsh. Violent rapists/murderers often serve less time in prison.

October 17, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Come on....

Really ??? So logic would tell you that those folks need to be in prison longer NOT that this sorry excuse for a mother should get out sooner. She is lucky to have a chance to get out at all. Crimes against children always and correctly get harshers punishments.

October 17, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Steve

Having a 3 year old, I can't imagine any person being so evil that they could do this. I have no sympathy for this woman at all, and think that the only sentence that would be more fair is to put her in jail with her hands glued to the wall. This sick, twisted individual should not be allowed to live. I am a liberal, but in a case like this, I don't believe this woman should maintain any rights what so ever. I hope this woman suffers pain on daily basis for all the years she is in jail. Mostly, I hope the child recovers fully and that her and her siblings are brought into a caring, loving family where they can grow as normal children.

October 17, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jane

i dont know if placing this child with the grandmother who raised the convicted mother is the answer...but thank god these kids get a new chance. thank god she didnt kill them. and puhleez someone tie this womans tubes!!! she should not be allowed the chance to have any more children!!! no excuses...

October 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Todd

and the Grandmother ask for probation for her idoit daughter! Makes me sick

October 17, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Idiot

This chick needs to be glued to a wall and beatin herself.

October 17, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JB

Probably a Democrat... and why wouldn't she be. Five kids at 23, guaranteed she gets a gov check. Yep, Democrat for life.

October 17, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cam D

way to add something of substance to the debate fella. Pathetic!

October 17, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • hank danger

only a complete idiot would turn this political.

October 17, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • angela jacobs

I hope you are not trying to stupuidly imply that all democrats are on welfare you moron!!
      She deserved 99 years no matter what political side she is on!!

October 17, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • doawah

Spoken like a true Republican. Your momma must be so proud! Hang on...arn't all republicans southern born inbred rednecks...how's that for stereo typing you idiot. My apologies to honest working republican's. No insult implied, making a point.

October 17, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe User

23 with 5 klids...probably multiple baby-daddies as well. Of course she's on Gov't assistance because there's a miniscule chance at best a 23 year old with tattoos like that could have a job that pays well enough to support 5 kids. The only way she's not on Gov't assistance is if she makes enough money from illegal gang activities. P0S should have received the death penalty! Rotten to the core...

October 17, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tina

I guess your comment makes you a good Republican. Actually, I doubt the D bag mother even votes.

October 17, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • maias

Why a Democrat, JB? Surely it must be republicans who would exploit the system – just to try to make the democrats look bad?

October 17, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. constructiveconservatism

I rarely comment on stories however this is one of the worst cases of child abuse I have heard of in ten years. If she did that to the 2 year imagine what she was doing with the other children. The judge did society a favor by taking her off the streets and eliminating her ability to procreate while living off of the government. My main concern now is the children being with the grandmother who raised that ‘monster’ of a person to be the way she is since most behavior is learned. The grandmother may be just as bad.

October 17, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • V. Wurthmann

The mother is 23 yrs old with FIVE children? Her tubes should have been tied after 2 if she is on welfare - what chance at all do any of those 5 children have? I wonder if she is in the country legally. Those opposed to abortion should think long and hard about all the unwanted children born to the thousands of uneducated, unequipped cretins too stupid to use birth control - innocent victims.

October 17, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JB

I have a 2 year old daughter myself and this garbage makes me sick. You bring a child into the world because you want the responsiblity to raise, love and nurture the child, not beat them senseless for no good reason. Shame on this lady – glad she'll rot in prison.

October 17, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Motizzie

I'm actually concerned for your 2 year old daughter, and I hope she doesn't develop your narrow-minded point of view. A horrible picture of a beautiful little girl on a breathing machine at the top of this page and all you can think of is "Democrat"? It's fools like you and the tea party members that make the rest of us "righties" look like selfish, unintelligent klansmen (klanspeople to be politically correct). Btw..I am a very proud father as well. Lord and Spirits, please ease the suffering of these children and bless them with overwhelming support and countless doors of opportunity.

October 17, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Alex

Liz is a monster! She doesn't deserve parole or probation. She deserves to be tortured just like her little girl was. As I read this story I cried because I have a little girl of my own and I cant imagine someone doing this to their own child. I Really hope she gets her behind beaten in jail, EVERYDAY!

October 17, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Motizzie

I hear you Alex. I have a 3 year old baby girl myself. I have pretty thick skin, especially when it comes to media reports, but I haven't been this upset in awhile. You have to be an absolute monster/psycho/freak to do that to a little girl, or to any child. I'm glad the judge threw the book at her, I wouldn't mind throwing a few at her myself (the big, hard cover dictionary and world atlas sized).

October 17, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mary Pattee

Unfortunately statistics show that the family cycles generally repeat themselves (there are exceptions). This mother was probably beat by her mother and so the cycle continues. No excuse, but it is reality. Also, I agree with the statement that the welfare laws encourage single moms to have more children (more children, more welfare) The system needs help. I have witnessed first hand that some of these welfare moms have more kids so they can receive more welfare and are in fact encourged by the boyfriends to have more kids and not to marry. This makes it hard on the people who really are in need of welfare because people have a tendency to categorize them with the ones who are abusing the system which in my opinion seems to be the majority of recepients. The system obviously is broken.

October 17, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. inUSA

Glue her reproductive system forever. Eye for an eye!

October 17, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Brad

Seems like an unusually long sentence, comparatively speaking. What frustrates me is that you can't speak out against the sentence without people accusing you of being pro-abuse.

October 17, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • SoundFuture

It's cool Brad. It's pretty obvious the intent is to lock her up for life. It is severe, but then again this is a severe crime. Probably excessive I think? But then again there may be more gruesome details we're not aware of. If there aren't any important missing details, I believe 20 – 25 years would have been plenty. Her daughter would be a fully autonomous adult by that point and she would still have some useful life left to live outside of prison.

October 17, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • judy1064

Not excessive. Let someone do that to your child and tell me if 99 years is enough...

October 17, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. pendlythswrd

Anyone want to me glue her to a wall?

October 17, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. onestarman

I think it is unfortunate that the Headlines are always that this women got 99 years for gluing her baby to the wall – which is indeed terrible – but what she went to Prison for was PRIMARILY nearly beating the girl to death.

October 17, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Peter

This Mom is truly a monster but 99 years. I would just have her stoned in the town square according to islamic law.

October 17, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. James Whelan

99 years is an absurd sentence for doing anything whatsoever. We should limit jail terms to no more than 20 years and loosen probation standards. You know your criminal justice system is in need of reform when you find yourself wishing child torturing sociopaths "good luck on appeal."

October 17, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |