Cards stun Nats; Yankees advance
The Cardinals celebrate during their four-run ninth inning.
October 13th, 2012

Cards stun Nats; Yankees advance

The baseball playoffs wrapped up the divisional series Friday night, as two more teams took another step on the road toward the World Series.

The St. Louis Cardinals completed a shocking comeback and the New York Yankees got a sterling pitching performance from their ace to advance to their respective league championship series.

St. Louis 9, Washington 7

The Cardinals stunned the Nationals with four runs in the top of the ninth inning to once again stave off elimination and send the Nationals - who had the best regular-season record in baseball - to an early off-season

St. Louis was down 7-5 entering the ninth inning and staring at elimination, a familiar sight for the defending World Series champs, who - tracing back to the playoffs last season - have won their last six elimination games.

Daniel Descalso had a bases-loaded single off Drew Storen to tie the game 7-7. Pete Kozma singled to right field to bring in two more runs and make it 9-7.

The Nationals went down 1-2-3 in the bottom of the ninth.

St. Louis trailed 6-0 early before it began the long climb back.

"You don't envision yourself being behind 6-0," Descalso said to TBS during the post-game TV broadcast. Descalso had a home run and a double for the Cards.

After getting a run back in the fourth, St. Louis added two more in the fifth. Descalso led off the inning with a double to right. After a single and a walk, he scored on a wild pitch by Gio Gonzalez. They made it 6-3 when Shane Robinson scored on a bases-loaded walk.

St. Louis scored a run in the seventh and eight, setting up its ninth-inning comeback.

The Cardinals will travel to San Francisco, where they'll take on the Giants in the NLCS beginning Sunday night.

New York 3, Baltimore 1

CC Sabathia got out of a bases-loaded jam in the eighth inning and threw a complete game as the Yankees beat the Orioles to advance to the AL Championship Series against the Detroit Tigers.

Sabathia was masterful, striking out nine and allowing four hits for the Yankees. "It's what I'm here for," Sabathia told MLB.com.

New York will play host to Game 1 of the ALCS at 8 p.m. Saturday.

Filed under: Baseball
  1. Rascal Rabble

yep...right on, baby...btw it's 24 days and counting...soooo whose gonna be eatin' crow attah location other than the white house???

October 13, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

And the GOP didnt have the foresight to get behind the only really viable candidate they had and that was Ron Paul, so they got no one to blame but themselves!

October 13, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. raven

Hey, my blog pals...chrissy,I couldna said that any better. it's like stepping through a wormhole:no matter how long I'm away, when I return it's exactly the same as when I left. I do miss you guys tho, and I hope every one is well. I've been visiting some pretty fun sites for comic relief if anyone is interested. I turned banasy on to a couple so if I'm not here, she knows where they are.

October 13, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

lmao dazzle, they are all one and the same, pizza, depends, drag queen, and you know who it is!

October 13, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. raven

Hey chrissy! And hey dazzle! I know banasy has already turned you on to a couple of my faves dazzle, but there are more I'll share also. Chrissy, check out cracked.com and awkward family photos to start. Theyre hilarious and cracked has a wide variety of stuff. I've been going there forever but I only discovered awkward family photos a few months ago. Also, check out reddit if youre feeling newsy. It can seem complicated at first but if you kinda just read for a while, you get it. I like it cuz they dont tolerate the things that go on in here. It's got a little something for everyone.check it out.

October 13, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BOMBO ©

Hi all. The last thing I read on Cracked was some guy wishing he could find some dimethyltryptamine. Drug humor.

October 13, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. BOMBO ©

DMT. The "Spirit Drug". It's supposed to be good because it's "natural". It is the chemical in your brain that is believed to be involved in dreams. If you take it, you apparently have a waking dream ie hallucination. Of course you are dosing yourself at about 1000 times the natural level, so how safe can it be?

October 13, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

I have a feeling we would agree on this one.

October 13, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BOMBO ©

There's a good topic. What other discussion boards do you frequent. I have in the past commented on the main CNN site, but not so much any more. The crowd is too big and impersonal most days. Sometimes sports sites like TSN and Sportsnet in Canada. I usually use a variation on BOMBO. I hate pre-screening sites. I also hate sites that automatically email all other comments on stories that you have commented on.

October 13, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BOMBO ©

Hey is Cracked affiliated with Cracked magazine, the old Mad ripoff?

October 13, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

That's kinda the vibe I got, but I didn't see the luded-out blonde guy in the white cap, sooooooo....I don't know.
      Funny site, though.

October 13, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Oh, my, chrissy...
    I WISH your life was a hallucination, and it wasn't real...knowing what I do about what you go through.
    I've never wanted to take a drug that alters perception and gives me hallucinations...so I never have.
    When I was about 11, I had a very high fever, with waking hallucinations; that was enough!
    I NEVER wanted to duplicate that, but hey, that's just me.

October 13, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name s kel

hello all 🙁 I know its late but im shocked still over the NATs loss. I drove down to NATs statdium on on friday night than went to my old firehouse engine 13 to wait for the winning fireworks to light up the cold night sky.......nothing . the damn 9 inning they lost....lost. i just drove home.

October 14, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Aw, s kel, sorry you couldn't celebrate their win, but they had a VERY good year.

October 14, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name s kel

Yeah true DC is a very lively city at night, bars, resturants streets were crowed that night till early morn. Thank U Banasy,lol they did have a very good season, so did the Baltimore Os, 30 miles up the road , they lost the same night. sooooo Nats Park in D C , and Camden Yards in Baltimore two back to back partying cities lost.

October 14, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I know...my cousin in Balitmore was verklempt...well, as Cubs fans have been saying for decades, "there's always next year!"
      I'm a White Sox fan, btw, lol.

October 14, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

Okay, my fine friends, banasy is going to call it a night; early morning road trip.
    Stay happy, people! 🙂
    Ciao.

October 13, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

Good nite @ banasy, and me either. Ill keep my life the way it is, and hope for the best. Lol eventually it will be im sure, without hallucinagenics lmao! Gnite everyone else.

October 13, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

AGAIN not me @ 5:32.

October 14, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. RUFFNUTT ( D.M.I. ALLIANCE LOGISTICS OFFICER AND ROYALS FAN!!)

BIG DEAL!! we kicked em in the hind end in 1985!!!! go royals!!

October 14, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

Mrs. Banasy! How nice to see you again. Did you tire of talking to yourself on the Royal blog?
    ...on topic, the Yankees have been advancing sonce they advanced on Southern cotton and tobacco reserves neeeded for the repayment of loans that financed The Revolution. The Yankees won the Civil War in quadruple exponent 6 double overtime. So long and hard-fought was that "game", expenses incurred made it impossible for what was left of the South to repay loans.
    The US government (the North) was forced into insolvency, and was no longer a Sovreign nation.
    THIS YOUNG LADY America would struggle with insolvency until Nov. 1998 when obese old lady A merica would come out from underneath international bancruptcy protection, and begin spending money like no other poeoples in written histroy, on credit.

October 14, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Again, Philip?
      I was answering your attacks; I would say that's defending myself, but if it falls on deaf ears, I guess it could be construed as "talking to myself".
      And it's just 'banasy'; no need for my formal ti tle.

The fun is over on this blog, folks, move along.

October 14, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |