October 16th, 2012

Earthquake recorded in Maine

[Update 8:55 p.m. ET] The U.S. Geological Survey revised its report of Tuesday's earthquake to magnitude 4.0, down from a preliminary magnitude of 4.6. The epicenter was pinpointed 4 miles west-southwest of Hollis Center, Maine, at a shallow depth of 4.2 miles.

Despite the downgrade, the quake was felt as far away as Boston, Massachusetts; Albany, New York, and even Waterbury, Connecticut, according to the USGS.

You can report your earthquake experience to the USGS at the above link, as well as adding your comment to the many at the end of this post.

"My entire house shook for 3 to 4 seconds. It felt like it was about to collapse," a viewer from Everett, Massachusetts, wrote to CNN affiliate WCVB in Boston.

"I live in Brockton (Massachusetts) and we just felt EVERYTHING shake here in Brockton," another viewer told his station.
Viewer Phillip Smith in Gorham, Maine, told CNN affiliate WCSH he felt a "Loud bang and 10 seconds of shaking ... scared us in Gorham. We must have qualified out here for the Guinness book of records: 10,000 homeowners at the same time run down to their basements to check if their furnaces have blown up."
The governor of Massachusetts said on Twitter that no harm was done:
Several people posted pictures of earthquake "damage" in the form of spilled pretzels and goldfish crackers.
Maine resident Brett O'Kelly sardonically assessed what may be the quake's greatest impact:

[Original post] An earthquake of preliminary magnitude 4.6  hit Maine at 7:12 p.m. ET Tuesday, according to the USGS website. The earthquake happened 3 miles (5 kilometers) west of Hollis Center, Maine.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Earth • Earthquake • Maine • U.S.
  1. Patricia Foley

It scared me!!! We were reading in bed and the whole building shook! I thought my husband had overloaded the washer! He did not even put clothes in it! My son heard about it from Virginia and called to see if we were okay. It was crazy, you just don't think about an earthquake in Maine!!!

October 16, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Benn

We hope everyone there is ok.

I bet the leaves there are beautiful.

October 16, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • you what?

you were in bed at 7? wow, Maine must be as boring as they say.

October 16, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • myra mclarey

In the 70s in Maine, we lived in a mobile home and I thought the washer was over loaded then remembered we had nothing in the washer. By the time I realized what it was, it was over.

October 16, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonathan Prete

I lived in Maine for 4 years and yes it is that boring!!! They roll up the streets around 9 pm... Glad I move back to New Jersey.

October 16, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lola

Yep...YOU WHAT...I imagine you ARE pretty boring in bed. Here in Maine, we consider time under the sheets (or down comforters) rather a TREAT!

October 16, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. HENRY

Was watching a movie and the chair and house started to shake. This was the first time I felt an earthquake like this. I live in Derry, N.H.

October 16, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Scott

Portsmouth, NH here. Initially sounded like a jet taking off, Pease Air Nat'l Guard base not far from my house, so I ignored the noise, until the entire house started shaking.

Don't get those too often around here. Something I will remember.

October 16, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mikey75

Felt the whole house shake in Sandown, NH – was pretty scary – got a couple of aftershocks that you can feel still...

October 16, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • 2012Quake

I'm in Danville, NH and didn't feel any aftershocks

October 16, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Carol Holt

We thought a train had hit something at the intersection outside our condo in Ocean Park. The noise was deafening and the floor shook like the building was tearing apart. Very scary.

October 16, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. debbie

I felt it here in Western Mass, my bed was shaking like crazy, lights shaking and falling over, odd though I felt it but 1st and 3rd floor did not, next door felt it, but other next door neighbor did not, crazy!

October 16, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Juanita Willenbrink

I am in NY and was laying in my bed when my bed started to tremble for a minute. I thought I was crazy and was afraid to tell my father because I didn't want him to think I was nuts. So I called my brother and told him. He told me not to worry I wasn't crazy and it was probably an after shock from the earthquake in Maine. I didn't even know maine had an earthquake.

October 16, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ruth Gray

Was sitting on my sofa when it happened. Did not expect it at all. I thought that earthquakes did not happen here in Sullivan County, but apparently it does!! No damage done but I am still shaken up. Called up somebody in Caifornia to let them know that I am ok. I am in Claremont, New Hampshire.

October 16, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Richard in Nashua

We felt it here in Nashua, NH. Even this far away it was enough that you could feel the floor shaking.

October 16, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. C. Lienhardt

Gorham Maine - was still working in the basement and thought a plane was crashing over the house or that our chimney was on fire and called 911. Ok I panicked, not like we get these a lot!

October 16, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. steve

whole lot of shaking going on in bridgton ,maine

October 16, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tina

The tremors were felt all the way down on the shoreline in CT!!

October 16, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Greg B.

Felt it in Groton, CT!!!

October 16, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. LarryW

Manchester Center, VT. Felt it here for several seconds. Shook the house; rattled dishes. Our dog was agitated and started barking and running about. I knew right away it was an earthquake. No damage. No sirens or anything afterwards.

October 16, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Way Out There

Manchester, NH....rumbling, then shaking. Then my wife ran into my office to ask what I just did. Sigh, I get blamed for everything.

October 16, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • LB

LOL! Poor guy!
      Felt it up here in Concord NH. Everything was rattling and shaking for about 20 seconds. My dog was alarmed, but that may have been because I was screaming "Earthquake! Earthquake!"
      We had another one here in Sept of 2010. Was only a 3.1, but the epicenter was in Boscawen, so while the shaking was much more mild, the sound was terrifying... like a giant semi was barreling towards the house and then a tremendous enormous CRACK.

October 16, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |