October 16th, 2012

Earthquake recorded in Maine

[Update 8:55 p.m. ET] The U.S. Geological Survey revised its report of Tuesday's earthquake to magnitude 4.0, down from a preliminary magnitude of 4.6. The epicenter was pinpointed 4 miles west-southwest of Hollis Center, Maine, at a shallow depth of 4.2 miles.

Despite the downgrade, the quake was felt as far away as Boston, Massachusetts; Albany, New York, and even Waterbury, Connecticut, according to the USGS.

You can report your earthquake experience to the USGS at the above link, as well as adding your comment to the many at the end of this post.

"My entire house shook for 3 to 4 seconds. It felt like it was about to collapse," a viewer from Everett, Massachusetts, wrote to CNN affiliate WCVB in Boston.

"I live in Brockton (Massachusetts) and we just felt EVERYTHING shake here in Brockton," another viewer told his station.
Viewer Phillip Smith in Gorham, Maine, told CNN affiliate WCSH he felt a "Loud bang and 10 seconds of shaking ... scared us in Gorham. We must have qualified out here for the Guinness book of records: 10,000 homeowners at the same time run down to their basements to check if their furnaces have blown up."
The governor of Massachusetts said on Twitter that no harm was done:
Several people posted pictures of earthquake "damage" in the form of spilled pretzels and goldfish crackers.
Maine resident Brett O'Kelly sardonically assessed what may be the quake's greatest impact:

[Original post] An earthquake of preliminary magnitude 4.6  hit Maine at 7:12 p.m. ET Tuesday, according to the USGS website. The earthquake happened 3 miles (5 kilometers) west of Hollis Center, Maine.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Earth • Earthquake • Maine • U.S.
  1. sir

maine sucks just like canada.

October 17, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. Steve

When the quake started, I looked up at my wife and said "There goes FOX news; spinning up the Lie Machine ahead of the Presidential Debate Tonight!"

October 17, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Maya Ravensong

LOL for real. That was the best comment so far =).

October 17, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. tomen8r

I was about a dozen miles from epicenter. If you put a 767 jet on the roof of your house, throttle up the engines to full speed and let it go for 10 seconds, that is what I felt. Not only did the floor go back and forth at an incredible rate, along with walls, the sound alone was enormous. Unbelievable sounds and vibrations. I literally thought a jet was crashing for the first five seconds, as I live near an airport. My last tnought was earthquake. first thought was truck, then the jet. I was convinced a jet was crashing into my home. This was my fifth quake, but the strongest by far. It lasted forever, around 10 seconds or longer.

October 17, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jack

Maybe I miss something, but where on the map is this "New England" at? I don't see it and it is not a state, metro region, TV market or any type of place that exists. At least the south is – south!

October 17, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Geography

It is called a region. My 7th grader knows that how do you not?

October 17, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Claude Gothic

Gee, it's only been called that for about 400 years now.

October 17, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • mw-maryland

I hope you are kidding!

October 17, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Claude Gothic

Maine IS part of Canada now, we traded it away for a few square miles of tar sands that are actually worth something.

October 17, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • george

We tried to give them Mass. but they said they wouldn't be able to get the taint of Romney out of it.

October 17, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. susan gardner

it was my first earthquake it was scarie the whole house shook nic nacks feel off shelves the chair i was sitting in shook

October 17, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. Dave

I live in Lake Arrowhead community Waterboro Maine very close to the epicenter. The quake started with two very large booms and then the house shook. My first thought was a plane crash. I was in the Kitchen at the time the quake struck and I rushed to the window in attempt to see outside expecting to see something. At that point I figured out it was an earthquake. This is my second quake I felt in Maine and the most violent. I guess being close to the epicenter gives the quake a different spin.

October 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Plato

I lived in Boulder Creek, CA during the Loma Prieta quake in 1989. Since then moved back to Maine.
    Now THAT was an earthquake.

October 17, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. streetheat

Obviously a significant build up of political gas in that region yesterday, made heavier when political spin removed lighter elements, leaving only a dense mass of bee S. This sank down to core level where the planet immediately barfed it back out!

October 17, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. timex

Does any one know the type of fault on which the earthquake happened and the type of rock formation? New England doesn't have many well known faults being so far removed from an active plate boundary.

October 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • LightHorse

My vote is post-glacial rebound, or whatever they call it now-a-days.

October 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. nappa

its Pennywise the clown waking up

October 17, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • BooneH

Yes, the fictional town of Derry, Maine best wake up and prepare. Oh, and where are all those dang kids when you need them? Stuttering Bill and all the gang, you know? Just hide in your closet and say He Thrusts His Fists Against The Posts And Still Insists He See's The Ghosts! Dedicated to Stephen King.

October 17, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Pat

I heard and felt the rumble – I thought it was the sound of a large number of men in Kennebunk being thrown out of the house by their wives all at the same time.

October 17, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mom23inME

I have lived in both CA and most of my life in ME, I didn't think it was an earthquake – who thinks earthquake in ME? I was looking out the window waiting to see a large truck drive by. I have to laugh at the 'everyone thought their furnace was blowing up', that's exactly what my husband said.

October 17, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ANGELIQUE

I knew I felt shaking around me... and I live in Albany, NY... I didn't give it a second thought until I read this article... Good Stuff!!

October 17, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Robert Parrish

Could this be one of the fruits of fracking with the main event still to come?

October 17, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |