October 16th, 2012

Earthquake recorded in Maine

[Update 8:55 p.m. ET] The U.S. Geological Survey revised its report of Tuesday's earthquake to magnitude 4.0, down from a preliminary magnitude of 4.6. The epicenter was pinpointed 4 miles west-southwest of Hollis Center, Maine, at a shallow depth of 4.2 miles.

Despite the downgrade, the quake was felt as far away as Boston, Massachusetts; Albany, New York, and even Waterbury, Connecticut, according to the USGS.

You can report your earthquake experience to the USGS at the above link, as well as adding your comment to the many at the end of this post.

"My entire house shook for 3 to 4 seconds. It felt like it was about to collapse," a viewer from Everett, Massachusetts, wrote to CNN affiliate WCVB in Boston.

"I live in Brockton (Massachusetts) and we just felt EVERYTHING shake here in Brockton," another viewer told his station.
Viewer Phillip Smith in Gorham, Maine, told CNN affiliate WCSH he felt a "Loud bang and 10 seconds of shaking ... scared us in Gorham. We must have qualified out here for the Guinness book of records: 10,000 homeowners at the same time run down to their basements to check if their furnaces have blown up."
The governor of Massachusetts said on Twitter that no harm was done:
Several people posted pictures of earthquake "damage" in the form of spilled pretzels and goldfish crackers.
Maine resident Brett O'Kelly sardonically assessed what may be the quake's greatest impact:

[Original post] An earthquake of preliminary magnitude 4.6  hit Maine at 7:12 p.m. ET Tuesday, according to the USGS website. The earthquake happened 3 miles (5 kilometers) west of Hollis Center, Maine.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Earth • Earthquake • Maine • U.S.
  1. Ellen

Felt it all the way in Boston!

October 16, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bvm

Definitely felt it even here in Western Massachusetts – just a small rumble but there was no doubt in my mind what it was. Not something we experience very often here in New England...

October 16, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. james

It knocked my lobster roll right off the plate.

October 16, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tom

Heard that you could feel it in Boston. Be safe

October 16, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dan

Felt it in Boston Ma

October 16, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ann

Here in northern RI, wasn't sure what it was, very quick, windows rattled.

October 16, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. shari

Was watching tv, and all of a sudden a loud rumble and the house shook. Thought a propane tank in the complex had exploded. Scared the hell out of me. Thought I was going to have a heart attack. I had a bad anxiety attack, am trying to calm down. Lived in Maine all my life and never experienced anything like this before, and hope to never experience it again, but I know that won't be the end of it, it will probably happen again in the future.

October 16, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John

Was watching the lead up to the debate, experienced some shaking, thought a big truck was driving past but it lasted too long. First time in an earthquake!: Maynard MA

October 16, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CJ from California

If there are aftershocks, you can take shelter in a doorway (structurally stronger part of most buildings) or under a heavy piece of furniture (such as a desk or table).... if you're an older person, remember the old "Duck and Cover" drills. This will give you some increased protection from falling objects and/or building collapses. If you are outdoors, do not take shelter immediately outside a brick building.

October 16, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sue Catalogna

felt it in North Andover, MA

October 16, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ingrid

It felt like an explosion here in Kennebunkport, Maine. We thought our furnace exploded, and this is what everyone is saying on FB. Never experienced one before.

October 16, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sérgio Ferreira

I was watching tv in bed at hotel when the bed started to shake... This was my first time I felt an earthquake like this. I am studying english here in Boston and this my first time in the US.

October 16, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. zogster

My kids were freaked out. Thy thought someone was trying to break into the house here just south of Nasua NH in MA.

October 16, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mike

The house here in Scarborough, ME was shaking and rumbling so much I thought our furnace was blowing up.

I'm thinking "Excellent – we're going to get a new house!"

Disappointed

October 16, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Barbara Shea Tracy

Felt it in the Berkshires-Lee, Massachusetts which is in the western part of the state.

October 16, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |