October 16th, 2012

Earthquake recorded in Maine

[Update 8:55 p.m. ET] The U.S. Geological Survey revised its report of Tuesday's earthquake to magnitude 4.0, down from a preliminary magnitude of 4.6. The epicenter was pinpointed 4 miles west-southwest of Hollis Center, Maine, at a shallow depth of 4.2 miles.

Despite the downgrade, the quake was felt as far away as Boston, Massachusetts; Albany, New York, and even Waterbury, Connecticut, according to the USGS.

You can report your earthquake experience to the USGS at the above link, as well as adding your comment to the many at the end of this post.

"My entire house shook for 3 to 4 seconds. It felt like it was about to collapse," a viewer from Everett, Massachusetts, wrote to CNN affiliate WCVB in Boston.

"I live in Brockton (Massachusetts) and we just felt EVERYTHING shake here in Brockton," another viewer told his station.
Viewer Phillip Smith in Gorham, Maine, told CNN affiliate WCSH he felt a "Loud bang and 10 seconds of shaking ... scared us in Gorham. We must have qualified out here for the Guinness book of records: 10,000 homeowners at the same time run down to their basements to check if their furnaces have blown up."
The governor of Massachusetts said on Twitter that no harm was done:
Several people posted pictures of earthquake "damage" in the form of spilled pretzels and goldfish crackers.
Maine resident Brett O'Kelly sardonically assessed what may be the quake's greatest impact:

[Original post] An earthquake of preliminary magnitude 4.6  hit Maine at 7:12 p.m. ET Tuesday, according to the USGS website. The earthquake happened 3 miles (5 kilometers) west of Hollis Center, Maine.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Earth • Earthquake • Maine • U.S.
  1. tet1953

Epicenter about 12 mi from me as the crow flies. Shook a few things off shelves.

October 16, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Gina

Felt in Northern NH not as strong as one in CA but it went on for about 15 secs glassware in house was rattling pretty good!

October 16, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kris

Felt it here in Southeastern MA. The house was shaking.

October 16, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Reem

My sofa was rattling for 7 seconds or so here in Boston , have to add this to my resume as the first earthquake I have ever experienced.

October 16, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bill

Did John Kerry a few hours ago say that if Obama loses this debate there would be an earthquake in Boston? Would this be very worrying?

October 16, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Don

My wife felt in our computer room in Litchfield County, CT.

October 16, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TransplantfromNC

Felt it here in Cranston, RI. The whole house shook for about 8 to 10 secs

October 16, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. GreenPhotog

We Cape Codders were settling in for a leisurely night cleaning fish and plucking cranberries when I felt the earth shake 'neath my rubber-booted feet. Thought it was Caleb and the Mrs. next store but they were sound asleep.

October 16, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mara

My brother works at smith and wesson in Springfield,ma and he said they felt for about ten seconds.

October 16, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. D.Brock

Felt it here in the Lakes Region of NH...was a shaker rather than a roller...

October 16, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Henry

Felt in Cambridge, MA
    First earthquake I ever felt

October 16, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Barry

I felt it in Dudley, Ma. More of a vibration than a shake or rumble.

October 16, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kathy

I was home alone in Dover, NH with our dog when the earthquake occurred. My husband and daughter were out. I was watching TV when I thought I heard a jet nearing our house, but then the sound got louder and louder, and then I felt it and the house creaked. At that point, although I have never experienced an earthquake, I knew I was experiencing one; it was frightening. During the earthquake, the dog ran to the back door barking. When you hear stories of people who weren't able to seek shelter in a situation like this, I now understand. I was trying to wrap my head around what was happening and was pretty much "like a deer in the headlights" standing in one place looking around, not understanding what was happening or knowing what to do. I looked at my cell phone, knowing the time on the cell is accurate; it was 7:12 pm. I tried calling a few neighbors who live around us and even the police to find out what was happening. My cell worked for a couple of minutes after the quake in that the calls were ringing through, but no one answered. When I tried again, the calls ended in fast busy signals - no service until 7:50 pm. I knew my husband and daughter were on the road when the quake occurred, so when they arrived home, I asked them if they felt it– "Felt what?" they responded. My husband checked the foundation; all is well, but the incident had me shook up for awhile. Being home alone when something like that happens is unnerving.

October 16, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. B. Ays

I'm in Newton, just outside of Boston, and we felt it. I thought a truck hit our house. I hope everyone is OK....

October 16, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Adam

Felt it all the way in eastern New York too.

October 16, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |